Losing weight prior to surgery

After years of thinking about the lap band and speaking with other patients of Dr. Ortiz, I have finally decided that the lap band was the right decision for me. My husband received a nice bonus from work and we decided it was now or never. I am going to be banded on September 18th. The decision was made on August 29th. Here is my question...I am completely in a panic about losing the 5% body weight in the next two weeks. So far I have lost only 2 lbs since starting the pre-op diet. I still have 12 more pounds to go. Weight does not come off quickly for me no matter how hard I try. Has anyone else been in this situation prior to surgery? Did they postpone?

If you stay strict on yourself for the next little bit you will be fine. Also if you give up soda's all together it will really help. (not even diet.) You can't have it after so you my as well start now. Good luck.

Hi There,

I am on pre-opt diet now and the protein I use is from Trader Joes called Whey. It only has 2grams fat, 130 cal, and 11 carbs. I have dropped 4 ilbs in 3 days, but I am sure its all water at this point.

Tara

Welcome! Congrats on making this huge decision..you will not regret it!

As for the pre-op diet, work your butt off! Drink lots of water, eat the recommended diet and exercise. Those first lbs are the easiest to get off. You can do it!! We are here for you to help at anytime.

I too have the same fear. I feel like I have lost. I think about 6 pounds. I started over two weeks ago and it is so slow. All you can do is the best you can. The hard part is being faithful to the program. I have slipped once and had a hamburger from Burgerville. I am not sure how much it hurt me since, I had slim fast all day but I knew better. So far this week I have done well. Just keep on target. Stay on here and get support that you need. I am going to be banded on the 19th, I may see you there, you will be coming out as I go in. I will be the one completely nervous. HA! Keep in touch.

After years of thinking about the lap band and speaking with other patients of Dr. Ortiz, I have finally decided that the lap band was the right decision for me. My husband received a nice bonus from work and we decided it was now or never. I am going to be banded on September 18th. The decision was made on August 29th. Here is my question...I am completely in a panic about losing the 5% body weight in the next two weeks. So far I have lost only 2 lbs since starting the pre-op diet. I still have 12 more pounds to go. Weight does not come off quickly for me no matter how hard I try. Has anyone else been in this situation prior to surgery? Did they postpone?

I only had 13 days before I made my decision to the day of my surgery and I lost about 8 lbs...they wanted me to lose 10 but it didn't happen so, I don't think you need to worry.

Hi! and Welcome :D When I made my decision I had 15 days to lose 15 pounds... I lost 12 but hey that was AWESOME... I immediately did the protien shake and weight watchers entrees like they recommend, and then I ordered the Optifast from the online store and I think that helped me more than anything. I still use Optifast today. I like their protien bars and shakes and entrees...not too crazy for the soup. I learned to actually enjoy water, lots of WATER. Also, I gave up the sodas completely, not even diet. And I STILL don't drink soda today. I also gave up breads, and yet it was a struggle and sometimes painful (after surgery it would get stuck), I finally overcame breads, tortillas, and cakes and even some pastas. So, GOOD LUCK and best wishes on your enLIGHTENing decision :D

crazycoolbutterfly- it's great to find someone else who had great results with the Optifast... I think it's a big reason I lost so much weight on the pre op and in the 3 weeks of liquids after surgery!

I always added a little of the sugar free DaVinci Vanilla syrup and ice to the blender and I thought it was great... I am thinking of re-ordering some because I work from home and don't mind having a shake for breakfast and one for lunch and since they are only 160 cal each, I can still have 1000 calories in between dinner and any snacks!