cheating, cheating and some more cheating

ok this is my first time putting myself out there. i was banded sept 19 with stormy and her her husband (wonderful people). i have logged in this forum many times and read so many happy stories a couple of stories that have some bumps in the road but will soon be victorious(im sure) and some worry stories like julies story about her fill nightmare. so i have cheered and thougbt and hoped with alot of your stories you just dont know it (im not a stalker) (haha). it hasnt been 3 weeks yet since ive been banded, im continuously screwing up. when i got back to the hotel the day after surgery i had small slice of pizza. it took forever to eat it i chewed 500 times each bite. i dont think i prepared for how hungry i was gonna be. i assuming everything went down ok because im fine. i eat soups like im suppose to but ill eat the carrots and sometimes potatoes in the soup or have a small slice of bread with my soup. ive eaten slower now than in my whole life and thats good i feel full faster and i try to stop then sometimes i dont ill eat a couple bites more. because of that im worried (i should be) i dont feel the restrictions from the band. is that normal so soon . or because i challenged the laws of nature im eating the restrictions away. i know its probably more mental than physical (not probably, i know). im 5'8 i weighed in at 320. i dont own a scale (probably scared to buy one). i know ive lost some (ifeel it). but is it enough. god what am i doing to myself? im sorry i did not mean to write a novel. please someone respond!

destined to stay fat

Okay..consider yourself slapped!!!

If you eat solids before the 21 days you are risking stretching your pouch and band slippage (which is extremely dangerous) and may result in having the band removed.

I understand how difficult the pre-op and post-op diets are...my post op lasted 5 weeks (banded in Canada), not just 21 days like the OCC plan. But I did it!!!

It's all about committment....you got banded for a reason to use this tool to help you lose weight. You are right, you've screwed up and it's time to get back on track. No more eating solids until you've reach 21 days post op!!!!

My surgeon told me that there is a reason for the post op diet, it allows time for the band to mold into the stomach, if you eat solids during this period, this may not happen and may have band slippage in the future.

You can do this if you are ready to commit to the lifestyle change...if you're not, then you might as well have the band removed now.

Sorry to be so blunt, but it's all or nothing baby!!!

You need to ask yourself if you can't eat properly when your health is on the line immediately after surgery, and honestly I can't think of a worse thing you could do than eat pizza after surgery, how are you going to be able to eat properly once the threat of an er visit is taken off the table? The band is not magic and if you are unwilling to do the work then you've just wasted your time and money.

You are destined to stay fat if you think it! Get out of that mold and start thinking positive. Like the others said, you've spend your money to imporove your lifestyle and changes goes with it. So, today is a brand new day! Get back and start with the shakes to get your body going and to remember what it needs to do. Do the soups, a variety of soups. If you can't drink it thru a straw...don't eat it! It takes time and you have to make time for yourself for this committement from here on out. Trust yourself...as one says. If in doubt, don't do it. Drink LOTS of water, protein water. Walk around to keep busy. Learn the portion control of foods that would help you. YOU CAN DO THIS! This is YOUR life and only YOU can do it, no one else. Try reading some motivational books to keep you thinking positive...this is a start. Picture yourself thinner, better yet, get an old lpicture of yourself and put it somewhere to remind you of what your body is going to look like (smile)!

Hope this helps. I am going for my surgery this Thursday and I am ready. I can see the thinner person I am going to be. I am going to take small positive steps, but they will be successful ones...because the bandsters on this forum is here for me and everyone else, newbies or oldsters!

Jude =)

You know you messed up, now it is time to get your mind set and think about the risk you are taking (healthwise) !!!!

It's not that you cheated - it is about the damage you can do by not following the rules, especially in the 21 day "healing time" your body really, really needs.

Sit down, start to think positive about this process and hopefully you get back on track ;)

GOOD LUCK ><'

First of all I want to say, it takes alot of gutts to get on here and fess up that you made a mistake. Believe me, I got chewed out for eating a piece of chocolate. But you and I know, how tough this is. When you told me about the pizza, I wasnt sure what to say. I knew it would be hard because your son was eating it there in front of you. I know you want this. I want it too. I know you need this. I need it too. This is the hardest thing that I have ever had to do, was to sit down and look at my relationship with food. I have actually cried. I felt like I had lost my best friend. What would I do when I am bored? What would I do when I am down? I could no longer turn to the thing that made me feel better. The Liquid phase made me really take a look at how I was abusing myself. Yes, I have slipped, but I dont feel that it put my band at risk. I think the slip had to do with my issues about me. I think that if you really want this. You have to look at why you wanted it and what is causing you to not take your risk seriously. I am concerned about you. If you want this, which I think you do, you need to stop what you are doing, step back and promise yourself that you are going to be strong. Each time you crave food, stop, listen. Is it your body talking or your head. Cause I found it was my head talking. The old habits were trying to creap up on me. That is why I got on here. To stop the insanity. We are here to support you. But you have to stop it NOW!! I mean it woman!!! I walked this road with you. Dont let it all go to waste. Seek help if you need to. The hardest thing I had to do was to call my friends and tell them I needed support. This is not an easy road we chose to walk but we did chose it and now we have to remain on it. If you can't do it for your health, you need to have it removed. It is not worth hurting yourself. Contact me if you need anything. I am here.

Stormy

ok this is my first time putting myself out there. i was banded sept 19 with stormy and her her husband (wonderful people). i have logged in this forum many times and read so many happy stories a couple of stories that have some bumps in the road but will soon be victorious(im sure) and some worry stories like julies story about her fill nightmare. so i have cheered and thougbt and hoped with alot of your stories you just dont know it (im not a stalker) (haha). it hasnt been 3 weeks yet since ive been banded, im continuously screwing up. when i got back to the hotel the day after surgery i had small slice of pizza. it took forever to eat it i chewed 500 times each bite. i dont think i prepared for how hungry i was gonna be. i assuming everything went down ok because im fine. i eat soups like im suppose to but ill eat the carrots and sometimes potatoes in the soup or have a small slice of bread with my soup. ive eaten slower now than in my whole life and thats good i feel full faster and i try to stop then sometimes i dont ill eat a couple bites more. because of that im worried (i should be) i dont feel the restrictions from the band. is that normal so soon . or because i challenged the laws of nature im eating the restrictions away. i know its probably more mental than physical (not probably, i know). im 5'8 i weighed in at 320. i dont own a scale (probably scared to buy one). i know ive lost some (ifeel it). but is it enough. god what am i doing to myself? im sorry i did not mean to write a novel. please someone respond!

destined to stay fat

Again, take a really deep breath and ask yourself why you went through banding surgery and what it means to you.

One of the things that I found when I had to force myself to gain weight after August's non related surgery was that I lost my internal compass in that process. I was in the hospital for tantamount to a month and stoned on morphine for the same amount of time. (They took my tubes, ovaries and some colon) I forgot some major rules of banding which confused me. What I'm saying is that if you don't know or remember exactly what it is that you are supposed to be doing you can't succeed. Knowledge is power.

I was clearly lost (even having lived a good band-life from June to August) and had to sit down and re-read my WLS books and get my act back together and sounds to me that you have to sit down and re-read all your band-life materials. The band isn't the end all be all, you have to do a lot of the work on your own, the band is just there to give you a swat now and again. If you read every single forum on banding on the internet there is one absolute, you really don't ease into band restriction until the third or fourth fill. It's a slow behaviour modification process designed to help change your thinking about how you eat.

You need to dig in deep and get some self control. For me it was the thought of hurting my investment (the band) and myself. For you that doesn't appear to be the trigger. You have to find what works for you whether that's painful joints, limited mobility, limited lifestyle, difficulty breathing, arms length relationships, shut-in lifestyle, early death -- whatever pushes your buttons, only you know what that is. We can be one your supports but we can't do your work for you and neither can the band. Can you see the hard point I'm making? At the end of the day it's all on each of us to manage our bands, our choices and our lives.

Please don't misunderstand that I'm being mean to you. I'm not, I'm just really concerned. You need to find the tools that will work for you to get you started down the right path. Is there a band group in your area? Does your medical provider have a WL group you can join? Is there a counsellor that you can speak to about emotional eating if that's something that plagues you?

If you are visual make a list of everything you know you are doing wrong and everything you know you are doing right. If you are not sure if it's right or wrong ask. People on this forum do care and they will respond. Maybe create a goal sheet with a series of mini goals and once a month or every two weeks a bigger goal to work towards and celebrate that success, whatever works for you but structure a program for yourself that keeps you accountable. For me having to write down what I eat and a graph of my WL keeps me on track. For a very successful bandster, MamaMichelle, it was taking photos of herself and having goal clothing. Everyone has a different way of getting there. Find what works for you! I find as added incentive that I seek out the before and after photos that are all over the internet. Look at all of our own success stories -- go into the gallery here. It totally reinforces the choices I make!

I don't mean to sound preachy, that's not my intent and I'm hardly perfect but your post scares me. Pizza day two? You've put yourself at risk and in harm's way, hun. You are NOT destined to be fat -- you just need to re-educate yourself and keep your eye on the prize -- your health and your new life. Godspeed!

Guest CaraMBA09

destined to stay fat

Kriminy

for one thing...get over the stinkin' thinkin'

whack, whack, whack

did that hurt? hope so, you could have risked so much by what you did. I admit the liquid phase/creamy soup phase is a bitch, but it helps to also address what is going on in your head (the mental hunger). get back on the wagon, I am now in week 3 and have not had anything more than a small piece of fish and chewed like hell.

It takes balls to admit you did this, so hopefully you were prepared for the shocked reaction.

none of us got overweight in a day...you can do this!

oodles

Cara

find some local support NOW. find a wls group in your area, and if there isnt one, create one. Or go to TOPS (taking off pounds sensibly) or OA (over-eaters anonymous) or AA. are you seeing someone about mental health? i know my problem is emotional eating. see a counselor, psychologist or therapist. have you considered a psychiatrist? prozac tames my hunger sooooo much. You can do this, but youve got to work on the mental. the physical will follow.