November Surgery Patients

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi all, I am having surgery on Nov 17th and seem to be eating everything in site and eating only out. I am not sure what is going on. Maybe food seperation anxiety :) I really think I should start with the shakes at least once a day now so it is not so hard one week out.

Terri

CalKev thank you so much for your reply. That is good information. I started my shakes today and will shake it for every meal but one until the week of surgery and then follow the routine they told me about. I think you are very right about dealing with the emotional eating. I pulled out my journal and am going to try and track my issues each day this month to try and confront them as they arise. Lets face it most of us would not be here if emotional or stress eating didn't come into play. I need to find a new friend instead of food and I am ready to do that.

I am proud of you and your results. Keep up the good work.

Thanks, Terri

CalKev thank you so much for your reply. That is good information. I started my shakes today and will shake it for every meal but one until the week of surgery and then follow the routine they told me about. I think you are very right about dealing with the emotional eating. I pulled out my journal and am going to try and track my issues each day this month to try and confront them as they arise. Lets face it most of us would not be here if emotional or stress eating didn't come into play. I need to find a new friend instead of food and I am ready to do that.

I am proud of you and your results. Keep up the good work.

Thanks, Terri

Terri, I am so glad you are getting a plan in place. You are so right that it is a double edged sword trying to reinvent your eating habits with a medical device when most of us cling to food as a escape from our stresses and emotional swings. Your mind says one night of pizza for dinner won't hurt and your body concurs because of the low calorie intake of shakes, shakes and more shakes but the band says you try it and I may make you pay. The toughest of all is the mind crying out for relief from stress, grief, emotional swings and yes even joy and happiness and addiction. Aligning the three into one is where I am at now. My body needs to live on lower calories and fat. My mantra now is " I can never compare myself and how I eat to anyone ever again". This has defeated me in the past but can't in the future. I hit rock bottom with my weight as it is was the highest it had ever been and it was stopping me from being healthy and enjoying life.

Launching off your suggestion I do believe that there are many who call themselves "Foodies" when in reality they are "Foodaholics" so to speak. We Foodaholics use food just like alcoholics use alcohol. I asked a doctor that is 36 years sober what triggers the alcoholic to drink? She said the sun, moon, the stars, the day of the week and the hour of the day. Food can be an addiction and a very destructive one at that as you know. I am trying daily to align my bodies need for nutrition, the bands need for correct use and my minds apparent addiction ( the need for food even when no apparent reason exists).

So far the toughest part of banding has been the consistent focus of mind. It wasn't the surgery, the cost, the low calorie diet, the recovery, the hunger but the creation of new brain patterns to assert the goal of healthy living and shun the thoughts of consumption to satisfy a need. That need will be satisfied but in more positive ways in future.

As I lose weight the search is on to fill the gap. So far I have used the pure joy of losing weight to fill it. Exercise and golf are waiting in the wings and many things I have not thought of as yet. For each it is a different journey so what I have related may be obvious to you if so your lucky I am just getting there.

Congratulations on putting your band hat on and taking charge! Best wishes on your physical banding to come! Keep on shake-in! Kevin

Hi

i am having surgery on Nov 2nd... i was wondering if anyone will be there during that time getting surgery or a fill? my mom is going with me for support but i am more worried about her having someone to talk to than anything else.

also, any colorado people out there?

Hi

I am having surgery on 11/20/06, just scheduled today. I am from Grand Junction, CO. Good luck and god bless you tomorrow and always. Let me know how it goes.

I'm staying at Lucerna tonight but probably leaving after my fill tomorrow.

WHAT TIMES YOUR FILL?

I'M AT 1:30

OK I WENT BACK AND LOOKED, I SHOULD BE IN TOWN AROUND 11:30 BUT IT TAKES A BIT TO GET TO THE CLINIC. MAYBE I'LL CATCH YA NEXT TIME :)

Hi,

I'm getting banded on Nov. 20th, flying in from Canada on the 18th. Hopefully I'll meet some of you there!

I am getting banded on the 6th, so I won't be there when you are, but I am also from Canada. I am coming from Calgary. What area are you from? Are you part of the canadianlapbanders on-line group? I also started one for calgarylapbanders if you are from the area. Let me know.

Julie

Hi all, I am having surgery on Nov 17th and seem to be eating everything in site and eating only out. I am not sure what is going on. Maybe food seperation anxiety :) I really think I should start with the shakes at least once a day now so it is not so hard one week out.

Terri

I am scheduled for the 17th also. I am on the same page as you. I am eating everything in sight . I'm glad that I'm not alone and the book says that it is normal. I gave myself 2 more days and then I have to stopeating! The shakes once a day are a good idea.

I am getting banded on the 6th, so I won't be there when you are, but I am also from Canada. I am coming from Calgary. What area are you from? Are you part of the canadianlapbanders on-line group? I also started one for calgarylapbanders if you are from the area. Let me know.

Julie

Hi Julie,

I'm from Vancouver. Do you mean the Cdn lap banders on lapbandtalk.com?? If so then yes...I don't know of any other Cdn on line group....

Good to meet ya tho! Good luck...only a few days away, eh?

Hi everyone,

I'm new to this board. My surgery date is 11/23........Thanksgiving!! I thought it would give me a couple extra days off of work if I did it during a holiday weekend. Anyway, I'm nervous and excited.

Kathy

Hi Kathy,

I'm getting banded on the 20th and I'll still be in the TJ/San Diego area on the 23rd. I don't fly back home until the 25th. Maybe I'll see you there!

I am scheduled for the 17th also. I am on the same page as you. I am eating everything in sight . I'm glad that I'm not alone and the book says that it is normal. I gave myself 2 more days and then I have to stopeating! The shakes once a day are a good idea.

Where are you traveling from? I did great with the shakes yesterday but ended up eating dinner and then today I could not get that slim fast shake down to save my life. Boy those things are terrible. I tried the powder and the precanned. Both still terrible. I am in big trouble on Sunday when I have no choice but to drink them. I know I can do this !!! I am with you. I am tired of being fat. FAT NO MORE- We deserve it.

Terri

Where are you traveling from? I did great with the shakes yesterday but ended up eating dinner and then today I could not get that slim fast shake down to save my life. Boy those things are terrible. I tried the powder and the precanned. Both still terrible. I am in big trouble on Sunday when I have no choice but to drink them. I know I can do this !!! I am with you. I am tired of being fat. FAT NO MORE- We deserve it.

Terri

I am coming from the Orlando area.Where are you located? Dr. Miranda just emailed me the preop diet so I guess that it is time to get down to it. I am really excited and I cannot wait to get banded! A friend of mine had to have gastric bypass surgery for a medical condition and she says that it is really not that difficult to adapt. I just keep telling myself that skinny will taste better than anything that I put in my mouth! 14 days and counting!

Hi everyone,

I put together this list of when everyone is getting banded:

Teri (Arizona) - Nov 1

kym828 - Nov 2

Sabledog - Nov 2

mgewton - Nov 3 (re-band)

jess333 - Nov 3

Canada Julie (Canada) - Nov 6

Laura N - Nov 10

Liz - Nov 14

Kristi Ann - Nov 14

GregNE (Denver) - Nov 14

Terri - Nov 17

fatgirlnomore (Florida) - Nov 17

msclvan (Colorado) - Nov 20

sunsreturn (Canada) - Nov 20

Kathyinca - Nov 23

I hope that Teri, kym828, and Sabledog are recovering well! And good luck to mgewton and jess333 with their banding today!!

Hi everyone,

I put together this list of when everyone is getting banded:

Teri (Arizona) - Nov 1

kym828 - Nov 2

Sabledog - Nov 2

jess333 - Nov 3

Laura N - Nov 10

Liz - Nov 14

Kristi Ann - Nov 14

GregNE (Denver) - Nov 14

Terri - Nov 17

Kathyinca - Nov 23

I hope that Teri, kym828, and Sabledog are recovering well! And good luck to mgewton and jess333 with their banding today!!

I would like to add to the list Kyle who was banded with his mother Teri in November 1st

Good luck everyone

I would like to add to the list Kyle who was banded with his mother Teri in November 1st

Good luck everyone

Updated list:

Kyle (Arizona) - Nov 1

Teri (Arizona) - Nov 1

kym828 - Nov 2

Sabledog - Nov 2

jess333 - Nov 3

Laura N - Nov 10

Liz - Nov 14

Kristi Ann - Nov 14

GregNE (Denver) - Nov 14

Terri - Nov 17

Kathyinca - Nov 23

Updated list:

Kyle (Arizona) - Nov 1

Teri (Arizona) - Nov 1

kym828 - Nov 2

Sabledog - Nov 2

jess333 - Nov 3

Laura N - Nov 10

Liz - Nov 14

Kristi Ann - Nov 14

GregNE (Denver) - Nov 14

Terri - Nov 17

Kathyinca - Nov 23

Change my city to Omaha----Denver is only a stop over to meet up with my friend, who is an RN. She graciously volunteered to accompany me, and help me with my first week post-op. She is a post-op (2 years) Roux-n-Y bypass patient, so is familiar with the dietary limitations.

Also, just told my regular physician about the surgery. He showed very little reaction, other to state his concern regarding reported erosions. I think, however, he is somewhat happy for me, as he wants to see me 4 weeks post-op to check up on my progress. I think he was hestitant to endorse my decision due to mal-practice liability, but not once did he try to dissuade me. Also, I am his first patient to self-pay for any WLS.

Hope everyone is doing well, either recovering, or starting the pre-op process. I had to quit smoking, and give up my occasional cocktail, but have lost 11 of my 20 lbs. required for the surgery. In a few days I will start my Adkin shake diet, so the other 9 lbs will melt away easily, I hope.

Take care everyone....

Greg- Omaha, Nebraska

Hope everyone is doing well, either recovering, or starting the pre-op process. I had to quit smoking, and give up my occasional cocktail, but have lost 11 of my 20 lbs. required for the surgery. In a few days I will start my Adkin shake diet, so the other 9 lbs will melt away easily, I hope.

Take care everyone....

Greg- Omaha, Nebraska

Greg, Best of luck on your surgery. If you can shoot for more weight loss pre-op. It does make a difference. The more you lose pre-op the better your body is prepared for the procedure. Particularly your liver and it does help the surgeons do the surgery if they have to go through less fat in the abdominal region. I will be down for my first fill on Nov. 27 just missing you by a couple weeks. Also have you done research on the VG band because like me you may be a candidate. I sent my photo to Lori pre-op and she forwarded it to Dr. Ortiz who confirmed I was and thats what I have. Checkout the thread on it in this forum and the info at the Inamed website. I to did a self pay for WLS and it is worth every penny. Success to you on your band journey. Kevin

Good luck everyone

Hi Cindy,

Well are back and banded. And you can add Kelly to your list. We were banded with her on Nov 1. She is from CA. She said she is going to get on the web. She is already a registered user. I'll have to get her user name. I have it. Thinks are going great. I can believe how full Kyle and I were on a 1/2 cup of o.j. for breakfast and still stuffed at dinner. haha what an awesome feeling. Teri hah

Let me know if there's anyone else to update to the list! Glad to hear that you and Kyle are doing well, Teri!

Updated list:

Kelly (California) - Nov 1

Kyle (Arizona) - Nov 1

Teri (Arizona) - Nov 1

kym828 - Nov 2

Sabledog - Nov 2

jess333 - Nov 3

Laura N - Nov 10

Liz - Nov 14

Kristi Ann - Nov 14

GregNE (Nebraska) - Nov 14

Terri - Nov 17

Kathyinca - Nov 23

Let me know if there's anyone else to update to the list! Glad to hear that you and Kyle are doing well, Teri!

Updated list:

Kyle (Arizona) - Nov 1

Teri (Arizona) - Nov 1

kym828 - Nov 2

Sabledog - Nov 2

jess333 - Nov 3

Laura N - Nov 10

Liz - Nov 14

Kristi Ann - Nov 14

Terri - Nov 17

Kathyinca - Nov 23

Thank you so much!!!!!!!!! It is the GREATEST feeling in the world to be FULL. I am SO HAPPY! I just know this was the PERFECT descision for me and Kyle. It's still totally unbelievable. I laugh constantly! Teri :lol:

Updated list:

Kyle (Arizona) - Nov 1

Teri (Arizona) - Nov 1

kym828 - Nov 2

Sabledog - Nov 2

jess333 - Nov 3

Laura N - Nov 10

Liz - Nov 14

Kristi Ann - Nov 14

Terri -(San Diego) Nov 17

Kathyinca - Nov 23

I am coming from the Orlando area.Where are you located? Dr. Miranda just emailed me the preop diet so I guess that it is time to get down to it. I am really excited and I cannot wait to get banded! A friend of mine had to have gastric bypass surgery for a medical condition and she says that it is really not that difficult to adapt. I just keep telling myself that skinny will taste better than anything that I put in my mouth! 14 days and counting!

Hi, I am only coming from about 1 hour away in north San Diego. I will not be at the hotel so I probably will see you at the clinic on friday. Yes I too got the email and am really struggling. If you are up for emailing each day until Band Day :) we can keep each other motivated. You can reach me at terrimck12@verizon.net. Hang in there we will make it- skinnier too.

Terri

Greg, Best of luck on your surgery. If you can shoot for more weight loss pre-op. It does make a difference. The more you lose pre-op the better your body is prepared for the procedure. Particularly your liver and it does help the surgeons do the surgery if they have to go through less fat in the abdominal region. I will be down for my first fill on Nov. 27 just missing you by a couple weeks. Also have you done research on the VG band because like me you may be a candidate. I sent my photo to Lori pre-op and she forwarded it to Dr. Ortiz who confirmed I was and thats what I have. Checkout the thread on it in this forum and the info at the Inamed website. I to did a self pay for WLS and it is worth every penny. Success to you on your band journey. Kevin

Yes, Kevin, I am hoping to lose more than the 20 lbs pre-op. Our height and weights are similar, so I have watched with great interest your reports and progress. I agree that I will most likely end up with the VG band. So, right now you are my lap-band 'hero'---- until I get one of my own. I admire your determination and focus, and hope your weight loss experience continues to be a positive example.

Greg

Hi

i am having surgery on Nov 2nd... i was wondering if anyone will be there during that time getting surgery or a fill? my mom is going with me for support but i am more worried about her having someone to talk to than anything else.

also, any colorado people out there?

Kym,

So sorry to have missed you. I was leaving the clinic in the lobby and they said you were just admitted. There was someone in the lobby, (4 people) one being banded as well, was that you sabledog? I was kinda in a daze, I was with Kyle my son. Let me know, How was your surgery? A Breeze I hope!! I would like to know how it went for you. :o Teri