Dr. Ortiz wasn't exaggerating.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

drinking water and juice freely as I feel the urge. Gatoraide is also the order of the day.

When I get hunger pangs, boullion cube and a cup of water.

Danactive immunity 3.8oz (*unsure of the decimal, it may be 3.7 and I'm too lazy to go look) 3 times a day

and a 7oz drinkable yogurt, any variety.

sugar-free hard candy.

Cravings: chew it up and spit it out...(my friend said, "That's spoken like a true anorexic" haha)

I still think I'm hungrier than most, but compared to what my appetite was, I'll take it. I don't feel any pain to speak of, now I do recognize when I'm actually full though. I get a pressure in my stomach area, and then I stop.

Drinkable yogurts are under full liquids, just like soups.

I agree about WOW on the weight loss! I'm jealous! :) WAY TO GO!

Yeah but to me, soup has "stuff" in it. Otherwise, it's just broth....(and 'mater soup is just 'mater broth lol)

It's been 10 days post op, and I'm already down almost 37lbs. He was saying 50, and at this rate, I may surpass that.

Hey Trav,

Is that 37lbs SINCE the surgery, or does that include the 2 week pre-op liquid diet?

The reason I ask is that I have lost 28lbs since I started this journey, but that includes the 2 week pre-op. My meal menu is pretty standard right now (just entering my 3rd week of liquid diet):

Breakfast: Glass of orange juice, and a 200 ml Yoplait Yop (liquid yogurt). Calorie total: approx. 250 cal

Lunch: Campbell Creamy Tomato Soup-at-Hand. Calorie total: 170 cal

Dinner: Campbell Gardennay Soup (2 portions strained = 1 bowl). Calorie total: approx 240 cal

Evening snack: Sugar free popsicle. Calorie total: approx 110 cal

Daily vitamin: Centrum Liquid. Calorie total: 25 cal

Water: average 9 glasses a day

Total calories per day: 795 cal

Exercise: Walking. Pedometer reports I am getting between 3000 and 5000 steps a day. Only about 1500 if I don't make an effort to move.

I am seeing about 5lbs a week on average right now. And I am not sure what I could be doing differently. If you are seeing 3.7lbs a day, I would REALLY like to know your secret. I'm not saying I am disappointed in my loss to date, but if there is something MORE I can be doing, I sure would like to know what it is.

What's your secret?

Taz

The secret is he is MALE.....ALL men lose faster. Even 5 pounds a week is super TAZ. It also of course depends on how much you have to lose. Also how the body reacts differently depending on how many diets you have done before, the more you have done the slower you lose weight.

Great success!!

The secret is he is MALE.....ALL men lose faster. Even 5 pounds a week is super TAZ. It also of course depends on how much you have to lose. Also how the body reacts differently depending on how many diets you have done before, the more you have done the slower you lose weight.

Great success!!

I'm I guy. I can relate. :)

I am happy with 5lbs a week. Don't get me wrong. I am just curious what ELSE I COULD be doing. At my size, I am larger that Trav, yet losing less. Learning what he is doing could help me to re-evaluate what I am doing. Dr. Ortiz told me that I should be able to get down to my target weight in 8 months. To do that, I need to make sure I really take advantage of the faster weight loss at the beginning of the process... as I am sure it will slow down and I hit some plateaus as I hit the low 200's.

Learning from the success of others is a good thing. This board has so many successes from woman in ways sometimes hard to relate to, so its good to see people like Trav step up and show what they are doing.

Good point on the body reacting differently though. I have to remember all bodies react differently. Thanks for the reminder.

Taz

I'm I guy. I can relate. :)

I am happy with 5lbs a week. Don't get me wrong. I am just curious what ELSE I COULD be doing. At my size, I am larger that Trav, yet losing less. Learning what he is doing could help me to re-evaluate what I am doing. Dr. Ortiz told me that I should be able to get down to my target weight in 8 months. To do that, I need to make sure I really take advantage of the faster weight loss at the beginning of the process... as I am sure it will slow down and I hit some plateaus as I hit the low 200's.

Learning from the success of others is a good thing. This board has so many successes from woman in ways sometimes hard to relate to, so its good to see people like Trav step up and show what they are doing.

Good point on the body reacting differently though. I have to remember all bodies react differently. Thanks for the reminder.

Taz

Great job guys, keep up the good work. I was banded October 14th, 3 more days of liquids....hooray!!! I have lost 49 lbs thus far including pre-op. Started at 309 lbs. down to 260 as of this morning. Everyone looses weight differently. You just have the think of the long term goal, and keep at it.

I'm just cracken up at this posting - you're doing great Trav, just amazing at how fast you are loosing!!

And Taz - what do you mean it’s hard to relate to the women’s successes.... We want to look great in bikinis and cute little sexy sundresses – don’t you?????

How’s that hard to relate too?

Great job guys, keep up the good work. I was banded October 14th, 3 more days of liquids....hooray!!! I have lost 49 lbs thus far including pre-op. Started at 309 lbs. down to 260 as of this morning. Everyone looses weight differently. You just have the think of the long term goal, and keep at it.

Congrats Mtnman. Your success is awesome. 49lbs in 21 days is amazing. Good job.

Taz

I'm just cracken up at this posting - you're doing great Trav, just amazing at how fast you are loosing!!

And Taz - what do you mean it’s hard to relate to the women’s successes.... We want to look great in bikinis and cute little sexy sundresses – don’t you?????

How’s that hard to relate too?

Hey Lisa,

It's not the success as much as the journey that is difficult to relate to. Listening to challenges like bloating and monthly cramps is just not something I can relate to. Nor the hormonal and emotional challenges many seem to talk about here. I am not criticizing it... its just difficult to understand what you are going through. Everytime a guys loses weight, I always hear women talk about how good it must be to be a guy. Funny enough, I think most guys just look at it differently. Usually, we have a lot MORE to lose (not always... I am generalizing here). Sure we lose more in a given period... but we ultimately have to lose more. So our journey is different. We have many challenges that differ.

For some reason, I just like to hear/see guys talk about their success. And more importantly... how they battle challenges. Not sure why.

I want you guys to look great in bikinis and cute little sexy sundresses too. But many a day, I am looking to relate to others that are interested in getting into those nice dress shirts and suits. I'll worry about you hot women in bikinis later ;-)

Taz

Well here's what I'm doing....

Before I go into this, let me pre-face this by saying, before I gained weight: I was playing hockey and football at the same time, in a cold climate. So I was pretty muscular out of high school. (1990). I kinda maintained my weight, but gained a lil' from 90-92, (from around 175-210). 93, I got back down to 185, then in 95, worked for Ohio Bell, was pretty active (climbing telephone poles), too a desk job in 96. Shot up to 345 in 98. Lost 125lbs on Atkins over 2 years. Got up to 265. Dropped back down to 220, got up then 2006-2008, gained 100lbs. That being said, I never lost my muscle mass, so that's probably a good majority of my ability to burn calories.

Now, as far as what I do.

I have a 32oz insulated mug, that I keep iced, and have something in it.

Free choice liquids:

Water

Gatoraide

Juice (1st week, apple and grape juice)

(2nd week, apple, grape, "Cranenergy", V8 splash)

(DIET DRINKS SPARINGLY, and where I can, get Splenda instead of aspartame, or Stavita Stevia, or an alcohol based sugar substitute....aspartame blocks your brain's ability to receive the "full" signals, and also leeches calcium from your bones, It's bad for you, and I've been just as guilty as anyone else in consuming it.)

1st week meals: chicken, beef bullion cubes

2nd week: 3.1oz drinkable yogurt+bullion, or 8oz yogurt

3rd week: TBD

Today was the first night I had soup, I just couldn't take it anymore. I was going to do the full 2nd week of full liquids (minus soup), but I broke down and had Cheese Cream of Broccoli. (used a hand immersion blender to liquefy the broccoli, rather than strain it out). It was probably thicker than I should've eaten it, but I could technically still drink it, so I ate it. Ate the whole can, (slowly), without any ill effects, so I'm thinking I should get a fill just as soon as I can after the 6 weeks, if I'm losing this quickly, and no longer feeling much restriction. (granted, I know I will not be under restriction until I get a fill, but I do know that you still have to be careful as if you were filled, in order to avoid stretching your pouch.

As I've really consumed nothing but liquids, i don't see how I could've stretched out. I may simply be healing and losing weight, thus increasing the size of the opening. I no longer "fill up" on water, so I'm taking that as a good sign.

So the essentials:

Muscle burns fat. (I have a good base of muscle)

Reduced caloric intake (I think I'm 4-500 tops).

as little carbs as possible. (hard to do and have energy on liquids)

reduced sodium intake. You *do* need iodine, but having nothing but iodized salt all the time isn't healthy. Sea salt or kosher salt is good to throw into the mix.

Staying active. I don't exercise, but I have a job where I'm on my feet all day. I went back to work 6 days post-op (I couldn've went back 4 days, but I wanted to be lazy)

When you feel hungry, drink some water or some juice.

stick to your 3 meals a day as best as you can.

Other than that, I really don't think I'm doing anything special. I'm not even taking chromium picolinate.

For some reason, I just like to hear/see guys talk about their success. And more importantly... how they battle challenges. Not sure why.

Me too! I thinks it's FANTASTIC that you "guys" are doing this journey for yourselves. I am so proud of all of your successes and am glad that you come here and share them. I wish you all would post more, you are all fantastic role models as are the ladies.

CONGRATS on the loss!

Me too! I thinks it's FANTASTIC that you "guys" are doing this journey for yourselves. I am so proud of all of your successes and am glad that you come here and share them. I wish you all would post more, you are all fantastic role models as are the ladies.

CONGRATS on the loss!

hello DaGreen! did i read right? are you going for your lapband nov. 11? i go for my first fill then too! i guess we'll be seeing each other. are you staying at the hotel on Nov. 10? would like to meet you and talk about how wonderful the staff is.

Quick question for you all. Did you all have a plateau week 2 of post op? I lost 10lbs the first week on clear liquids, but this week I stayed exactly the same - go gain and no loss. I hope I am doing everything right - I am eating everything they tell us to. I had one scoop of ice cream but that is really the only fattening thing I ate.

My guess is it is b/c my body is in shock from that first week weight loss. What do you all think? I'm just really worried about the weight loss picking back up. I know we aren't supposed to be worried about weight loss during this stage, but come on...we all do! :D

Advice??

yeah, I think I just hit it, I've floated between 286-289 for the past couple days. I started losing very fast, but tapered off real quick after I started on soup.

I'm so looking forward to real food next week

But yeah, it's normal. When I did Atkins, I lost 25lbs first 3 days, then about 2 weeks it slowed way down, and then picked back up. I think it's our body's revolting and saying "NO, I'm not going to lose anymore"...but then metabolic respiration wins out.

Oh, and try yourself on some liquid vitamins or something. (they taste like crap...but easy to swallow)

Keep at it.