Your band and the Weather!!

I was banded by Dr. Ortiz, April 26th. 2007! Since I've had my band I get cold easily. If I go out to eat I have to take a sweater along to keep from being to cold. If I get cold My band gets tight and I can't eat. Most of the time I have to order a cup of hot tea. If I don't I won't be able to get anything down. My husband said it was because I've lost 84 lbs. I lost 30 lbs. with my last fill Feb. 08! I go for my 3rd. fill on March 2nd. Has anyone else had this problem?

Kelly C

St. Pete. Fl.

Banded 4/26/08

Weight-241

As of today 2/18/09

Weight-157

Goal Weight- 130!!!!

My mom told me that when I lose weight to look out I will be cold all the time, well until your body adjusts to it. I am 253 and at 290 I was hot all the time on matter how cold it is out side, I think a lot of big people are like that. Now that I am losing weight and I down only a little I am finding that I am colder than what I use to be. My mom lost 20 to get to her goal weight just by diet and exercise and she says that she gets the chills so quickly!

I hope that helps a little. I'm not sure why we get cold but we do! You would think because you are losing weight your circulation would get better, but on the other hand your not huffing and puffing around to make yourself hot!

Jenelle

Hi Kelly ~ Congrats on your weight loss thus far...84obs ~ YEAH! WTG!

It is my understanding that the 'weather' has no bearing for the band to be tight. Mental stress and physically exhausting does. If you are stressed out (due to job, illness, vomiting, etc) or do heavy hard core exercises, your stomach expands. As well, when you get your fills, your stomach expands from the swelling, because it needs time to adjust to the tightness. The band is made of a silicone elastomer (for flexibility) and a small amount of titanium, which is an amazing unique element that is low density. light weight, corrosion-resistant, and strong. Your body's internal temparature keeps this band warm at all time, so it never gets cold.

Hope this helps you. So when you start to feel tight, examine your situation and treat accordingly. I to the same as you, to have a warm (not hot) cuppa to ease my fickle band. Also, I up my protein and iron intake for more energy and warmth. If you are still concern, contact your doc for assistance. It could be something else.

I was banded by Dr. Ortiz, April 26th. 2007! Since I've had my band I get cold easily. If I go out to eat I have to take a sweater along to keep from being to cold. If I get cold My band gets tight and I can't eat. Most of the time I have to order a cup of hot tea. If I don't I won't be able to get anything down. My husband said it was because I've lost 84 lbs. I lost 30 lbs. with my last fill Feb. 08! I go for my 3rd. fill on March 2nd. Has anyone else had this problem?

Kelly C

St. Pete. Fl.

Banded 4/26/08

Weight-241

As of today 2/18/09

Weight-157

Goal Weight- 130!!!!

HOWDY KELLY

I'M COLD ALL THE TIME, NEVER REALLY WARM TILL I TAKE A HOT HOT SHOWER IN THE EVENING

I just wanted to add - since my surgery I am freezing ALL the time - Im always carrying extra sweaters etc now and I sit on the couch with a heated blanket and before I go to bed heat it up with my heating pad...

its the only thing I miss about being fat is the extra padding that kept me warm - but Id rather be freezing all the time than how I was before.

I too have a hot shower every night - brrrrrrrrrrrr

It's normal to be cold, but also you may have a possible iron deficiency.

Iron is what makes up your hemoglobin, hemoglobin carries oxygen to the cells so they can perform cellular respiration, the byproduct of cellular respiration is heat, water, and energy. If you're low on iron, your body isn't getting optimal oxygen to the cells, which causes you not to produce optimal body heat.

The plus side is that this could allow you to expend more metabolic energy to maintain body heat and result in a higher rate of weight loss.

It's normal to be cold, but also you may have a possible iron deficiency.

Iron is what makes up your hemoglobin, hemoglobin carries oxygen to the cells so they can perform cellular respiration, the byproduct of cellular respiration is heat, water, and energy. If you're low on iron, your body isn't getting optimal oxygen to the cells, which causes you not to produce optimal body heat.

The plus side is that this could allow you to expend more metabolic energy to maintain body heat and result in a higher rate of weight loss.

Trav, that's exactly what I was thinking. Typically us bigger girls are not iron deficient. A few years back I was also cold all the time (along with a few other symptoms), we found out I was anemic and now get iron infusions every 6 months, now my body temp is normal.

Thanks Trav,

I never even thought about being anemic! I have a Dr. appt. next month for a yearly check up. I'll say something to my Dr. About having some blood work. thanks everyone for your in put.

Kelly C.

St. Pete. Fl.

Banded 4/26/07

Weight 241

As of today 2/19/09

Weight 157

Goal Weight-130!!!

I know everyone has the opinion that cold weather does not effect your band, I disagree. I live in Texas and we have mild winters. BUT, there have been 4 days that it has gotten down to the 20's & 30's and on those days I could not eat!!! So, I think every body is different. I know that cold weather definitely effects my band and I won't argue the matter with anyone because I am cold everyday, there is a difference! So, don't think you are crazy if you feel the same way! lol I understand Iron, losing weight etc. But, I still feel there has been a difference on these cold days for me.

I know everyone has the opinion that cold weather does not effect your band, I disagree. I live in Texas and we have mild winters. BUT, there have been 4 days that it has gotten down to the 20's & 30's and on those days I could not eat!!! So, I think every body is different. I know that cold weather definitely effects my band and I won't argue the matter with anyone because I am cold everyday, there is a difference! So, don't think you are crazy if you feel the same way! lol I understand Iron, losing weight etc. But, I still feel there has been a difference on these cold days for me.

INTERESTING

I THINK THE BODY TENSES UP WHEN YOUR COLD. JUST NOT AS RELAXED AS YOU USUALLY WOULD BE

I agree with KellyC and Dana, I too am always cold. I have the same probs with eating, if I'm cold, I can NOT eat solids. So I too carry a sweater and make sure I'm nice and warm before I start solids. Also, with Dana on the Texas weather, although it is fairly warm most of the time, I've noticed that when the temp goes down, my band tightens. I brought this to the attention of my doctor that was doing my fills (fillcentersusa,houston) and he agreed that many patients have told him the same thing. I also, was anemic, or should I say am. So, about every two months or so, I go in and have a CBC with my primary care doctor. Just to make sure my levels are good and I'm not low in iron or other vitamins/minerals. I sometimes take iron supplements, but not everyday. Therefore, I also suggest like Jazzy and Trav, to check with your doctor on a regular basis to assure optimum levels. I'm guess it's a combination of all things weather, iron, stress, etc.. Working with the band is a daily learning experience. One day at a time...

Also, CONGRATS to everyone on their weightloss be it 80 pounds or 1 pound!!!! SUCCESS IS SO SWEET :D

• 2 months later...

I'VE BEEN THINKING ABOUT THIS THREAD FOR A FEW MONTHS AND FINALLY WENT IN TO GET MY VITAMIN LEVELS CHECKED. ENDS UP I HAVE A B12 DEFICIENCY (147) I WENT IN YESTERDAY FOR MY FIRST INJECTION. NOT SURE IF THAT'S GOT ANYTHING TO DO WITH BEING COLD BUT WE'LL SEE. THANKS TRAV :)