Lap Band in TJ

KateOC

Hi Everyone,

I am new to this! I found the website for OCC and have been really wanting to get this done. My daughter had a lap band done 2 years ago (she was 15 at the time) but I can't afford the prices in CA. I am working on getting the funds together to get this done by Dr. Ortiz. So, I am very familiar with the lap band itself....but what I need reassurance with is having it done in TJ and the travel to TJ. The minute I say I am considering going to TJ to have it done, is when my friends raise a brow and think I am out of my mind. So I need people who have had this done by Dr. Ortiz to tell me he's fantasic and that travelling to TJ was safe.

Also...If I have a surgery on a Friday, will I be home by sunday night?

thanks in advance for the feedback.

Kate

Hey there:

I was there April 6-9th and my surgery went great. TJ was totally safe for me. We even went shopping in the downtown 2x & had no problems. Honestly, the first 2 days after surgery was pretty easy for me, day 3 was a bit rough~ but started to get better on day 4 and by day 6 I was back to work~ I was tired but by day 7 after surgery I was great! I felt myself again.

The liquid diet is tough the 1st week but by the 2nd week it's not too bad. Once you see the numbers going down on the scale it is sooooo worth it!

GOOD LUCK!!!

You sound just like I did when I decided to get the lap-band in TJ. I was scared and nervous. I made the appointment but I still hesitated and I waited to the last minute to actually decided to do it. Well let me tell you....IT WAS THE BEST DECISION I HAVE EVER MADE!!!!! The facility is better then any facility I ever went here in CA and the doctors are TERRIFIC!!!! It was safe and they made me feel safe. Good luck to you in your decision.

Dr. O did my surgery March '08 and I'd do it again in a heart beat!! I was scared too, but there's no reason to be. I decided not to tell anyone [only Hubby, 2 kids and one friend know and I'm regreting telling the friend...]

I went by myself, flew from Pa. and everything was fine. I didn't go anywhere alone, I went with 2 other bandsters when I went shopping. The Lucerna Hotel is very nice and you can get pretty much everything you'll need from them. I would recommend Dr. O and staff to anyone thinking of having lap band surgery.

I had all three of my fills done there too, took Hubby and daughter once, went by myself once and took my daughter the third time. Relax and enjoy, it's a breeze and a nice stay in TJ.

P.S. The men on Dr.O's staff are all easy on the eyes too!! ;)

Best wishes, Darlene

Not only would I totally do it again, but I tell everyone about Dr. Ortiz!! I am proud to say I am his patient. I always felt safe in TJ because his clinic is so close to the San Diego border. I would go there tomorrow if I needed to. Feel free to read my blog, here is the Dr. Ortiz section. http://danasbandnewlife.wordpress.com/cate...dr-ariel-ortiz/

I live in San Diego and Dr. O did my surgery...and my son, my daughter in law and her sister, AND my grandson. So, this should tell you something! He and his staff are amazing. You will never have a good surgery experience until you go to OCC. It's incredible. I met Dr. O before my surgery and we chatted a bit and off we went! I could go on and on with this. I go to OCC for all of my fills too.

I had my surgery on a Wednesday and they give you 3 nights free stay at the Lucerna Hotel. There's a few people who had their surgery on a Friday and went home on Sunday. Just make sure you take the time to do some quality aftercare, like when you did for your daughter.

Good luck with your decision...but know if you have your surgery with Dr O, people will be in awe of you, as he is the BEST!

Hello, I just got banded 9 days ago, April 10th. Considering that it was Good Friday and Easter weekend, I was suspecting that the staff was not going to be happy about me doing my surgery that day. But it went great and the travel was completely safe. They drive you straight to the hotel and straight to the hospital and we didn't see anything out of the ordinary. I think the news makes it sound worse than it really is, but I was extremely happy with the entire experience. I have lost 10 lbs in 9 days!! Enough said! :)

Girl I hear you!!! I am a nurse and the girls i work with had a hissy when i told them where i was going, it was wonderful, would do it again in an instant. In fact i leave this friday for my first fill. the people were awesome, i didn't worry one bit about safety once i got there. DO IT! IT IS SO WORTH IT!

Hello, I just got banded 9 days ago, April 10th. Considering that it was Good Friday and Easter weekend, I was suspecting that the staff was not going to be happy about me doing my surgery that day. But it went great and the travel was completely safe. They drive you straight to the hotel and straight to the hospital and we didn't see anything out of the ordinary. I think the news makes it sound worse than it really is, but I was extremely happy with the entire experience. I have lost 10 lbs in 9 days!! Enough said! :)

Naaaaaaaa it's no picnic at the texas border, it all depends what area...... in one weekend 12 dead bodies, and how many have been headless.... from what I read they cleaned up TJ.... Here is an interesting link

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2009/03/22/us/BORDER.html

But Kat

I'm going and I plan on relaxing right at the hotel, It's not like I can eat, drink and dance.. I made sure I landed in the day time & took off early too. I would not want to land when it was close to dark or dark out, For me It can be scary at that time just because you don't know where you are...... But I feel totally fine in going

Hi Everyone,

I am new to this! I found the website for OCC and have been really wanting to get this done. My daughter had a lap band done 2 years ago (she was 15 at the time) but I can't afford the prices in CA. I am working on getting the funds together to get this done by Dr. Ortiz. So, I am very familiar with the lap band itself....but what I need reassurance with is having it done in TJ and the travel to TJ. The minute I say I am considering going to TJ to have it done, is when my friends raise a brow and think I am out of my mind. So I need people who have had this done by Dr. Ortiz to tell me he's fantasic and that travelling to TJ was safe.

Also...If I have a surgery on a Friday, will I be home by sunday night?

thanks in advance for the feedback.

Kate

I just came back from TJ Mexico

was there for the whole day

infact, I was driving there the whole day

went to 3 dif locations.. thanks to my basic spanish :)

I would say its safe !!!!!

Dr Ortiz.. he is one great persona dn surgeon......

if you are still considering.. DONT

just go for it grl................................ :D

• 2 months later...
Hey there:

I was there April 6-9th and my surgery went great. TJ was totally safe for me. We even went shopping in the downtown 2x & had no problems. Honestly, the first 2 days after surgery was pretty easy for me, day 3 was a bit rough~ but started to get better on day 4 and by day 6 I was back to work~ I was tired but by day 7 after surgery I was great! I felt myself again.

The liquid diet is tough the 1st week but by the 2nd week it's not too bad. Once you see the numbers going down on the scale it is sooooo worth it!

GOOD LUCK!!!

I love your answer ! I just had mine done on Monday June 22. Pretty much the same experience, however, I actually am having hunger pains and growling stomach ! I totally don't want this part and thought I wouldn't . I'm doing the broth, etc. Tomorrow I can start on protien drinks. Any help?

Dr. O did my surgery March '08 and I'd do it again in a heart beat!! I was scared too, but there's no reason to be. I decided not to tell anyone [only Hubby, 2 kids and one friend know and I'm regreting telling the friend...]

I went by myself, flew from Pa. and everything was fine. I didn't go anywhere alone, I went with 2 other bandsters when I went shopping. The Lucerna Hotel is very nice and you can get pretty much everything you'll need from them. I would recommend Dr. O and staff to anyone thinking of having lap band surgery.

I had all three of my fills done there too, took Hubby and daughter once, went by myself once and took my daughter the third time. Relax and enjoy, it's a breeze and a nice stay in TJ.

P.S. The men on Dr.O's staff are all easy on the eyes too!! ;)

Best wishes, Darlene

"P.S. The men on Dr.O's staff are all easy on the eyes too!! ;) "

:D THAT WAS TOO FUNNY!!!!