Low BMI Anyone?

No US doctor will consider me b/c my BMI is a 32. Yet I am classified as "obese" and have struggled with my weight my ENTIRE life! I've always been "healthy", "big-boned", "full-figured"...etc. blah, blah, blah... And then I read stories of people who have lost the weight by just doing a weight loss program. (Which I've tried, but never been truly successful...)

So here I am terrified at the thought of traveling to Mexico to have this done. I realize that there are others who may feel that taking this step is justified b/c they have more to loose and keep off. Am I justified in wanting to go through such drastic measures to rid myself of 70 lbs??? Are there others out there who have done this in my same position???

I am a mother of 3 with a husband (who has not yet been told that this is what his wife wants to do!) But I know that I have tried other alternatives in the past without success. I don't want to look back a few years from now regretting that I didn't have to guts to move forward and just do it. I am ready to do something for MYSELF instead of others. But again, 70 lbs.???? I'm really conflicted...

Im in a different boat than you, because I have/had a total of 130lbs to lose but just think next year you could have 100lbs to lose, or maybe more? Not to bring you down or be rude. I think you should do it. Its not about the amount you need to lose, its about having to lose any amount of weight to be a healthy happy you. I know there are a few people on here that had a little amount of wieght to lose like yourself, Im sure they will chime in!

Not sure how to say this without being rude, but 70lbs is a lot of weight. I have lost 42lbs so far and cant believe the differnce I feel in my day to day life. You are worth it.

Wishing you all the best. I would have this band done a hundreds times over again, if it ment being happy, no matter what amount of weight i needed to lose.

Jenelle

I had a BMI of 32 also, I weighed 199 my day of surgery and my goal weight is 140 so I have 60lbs to loose. I think it has been worth it so far, the only frustrating thing for me is that my weight is going down alot slower then those that have more to lose but it is slowly but surely coming off. I had surgery January 2nd and I am only down 10lbs but in the bands defense I have had no real restriction until my 3rd fill which I had a week ago and now I finally feel the effects of the band and am eating so much less than I used to, the eating better part is where I need to hold up my end of the bargain.

Even though I was basically eating crap food between the end of my 21 liquid phase and my third fill, I never gained any weight, which in my mind is worth having the surgery, even if I only make it to 160 or 150 at least I know I have the power to never be back at 210 which was my highest weight.

Its a process but I would say it was worth every penny that I will be paying off for the next 32 months! haha

Thank you - ALL! For your advice and input. It's exactly what I needed to hear... In retrospect, 60-70 lbs is a lot! (How foolish am I?) It's actually the weight of my middle child! :o So thinking of it in those terms, HOLY CRAP!!! Even if I was able to lose 50 lbs., the journey would still be well worth it from where I'm sitting. Okay, so I'm doing it... I'M DOING IT!!!! *sigh* .... My next 2 hurdles:

1) Telling my husband... (Someone who is naturally thin *great*...)

2) Coming to the realization that my only option if I'm going to have this done, is that I'll need to go to Mexico...

*sigh*....

Thank you again -

ksk

Thank you - ALL! For your advice and input. It's exactly what I needed to hear... In retrospect, 60-70 lbs is a lot! (How foolish am I?) It's actually the weight of my middle child! :o So thinking of it in those terms, HOLY CRAP!!! Even if I was able to lose 50 lbs., the journey would still be well worth it from where I'm sitting. Okay, so I'm doing it... I'M DOING IT!!!! *sigh* .... My next 2 hurdles:

1) Telling my husband... (Someone who is naturally thin *great*...)

2) Coming to the realization that my only option if I'm going to have this done, is that I'll need to go to Mexico...

*sigh*....

Thank you again -

ksk

MY BMI WAS 32 ALSO, BEST THING I DID WAS GET THE BAND :)

My BMI was a bit higher, but once i'm done I think i'll only lose about 75lbs. I have lost 45 of it now and I can't tell you the difference it has made! I don't regret my decision for a second and i'm so glad I went to Dr. Ortiz. From what i've heard from folks that had surgery here in the states, my whole procedure went so much better and my healing process was easier. Even if I had the cash to cover having it in the states if I had it to do again i'd go right back to Dr. O. Would have spent that extra money and taken a few vacations days! :)

Best place in the world.....The OCC. I have talked to a lot of people since having the surgery and they all say the samething, Mexico is the only place to go and to top that the OCC is the only clinic to go to. I have talked to people who have had the surgery here is Canada and they wish that they went to Mexixo, Even my fill Doctor is impressed with Mexico he said I couldn't have gone to a better place.

So glad your going to do it, your hubby will be with you every step of the way!

Jenelle

my BMI was 34. I have lost the weight on my own before and it came back slowly over years - the band doesnt let you over eat - from stress or anything else that may make you over eat - even the love of food - which is why I got it. it puts in the self control I obviously dont consistantly have.

Good luck, the OCC is amazing

No US doctor will consider me b/c my BMI is a 32. Yet I am classified as "obese" and have struggled with my weight my ENTIRE life! I've always been "healthy", "big-boned", "full-figured"...etc. blah, blah, blah... And then I read stories of people who have lost the weight by just doing a weight loss program. (Which I've tried, but never been truly successful...)

So here I am terrified at the thought of traveling to Mexico to have this done. I realize that there are others who may feel that taking this step is justified b/c they have more to loose and keep off. Am I justified in wanting to go through such drastic measures to rid myself of 70 lbs??? Are there others out there who have done this in my same position???

I am a mother of 3 with a husband (who has not yet been told that this is what his wife wants to do!) But I know that I have tried other alternatives in the past without success. I don't want to look back a few years from now regretting that I didn't have to guts to move forward and just do it. I am ready to do something for MYSELF instead of others. But again, 70 lbs.???? I'm really conflicted...

MY BMI is 34 & I'm going for it.... I'll be banded on May20th.....

I'll add to this post after DWTS........... Sorry I just love the show

Hi jhawkchick75 - I spoke to Lori from Dr. Ortiz's office today. If you don't mind me asking, how long ago did you have it done? It seems like I will be scheduling with Dr. Ortiz. But I am really concerned about the whole Mexico thing!!!! Crazy, right? And can you tell me about the placement of the "port"? Is it visible? Either by sight or touch? Any complications with it like infection? (I'm nervous, can you tell????) :blink:

***UPDATE***

I just discussed it with my husband!!!!! Ack! Although he's not "thrilled" per se, he understands and supports me. Albeit - somewhat begrudgingly... But nonetheless, supports me!!!! Wooooo hoooooo!!! I'll be turning 40 at the end of this summer. And I hope to be on the path of a better feeling ME! :D

Hi jhawkchick75 - I spoke to Lori from Dr. Ortiz's office today. If you don't mind me asking, how long ago did you have it done? It seems like I will be scheduling with Dr. Ortiz. But I am really concerned about the whole Mexico thing!!!! Crazy, right? And can you tell me about the placement of the "port"? Is it visible? Either by sight or touch? Any complications with it like infection? (I'm nervous, can you tell????) :blink:

***UPDATE***

I just discussed it with my husband!!!!! Ack! Although he's not "thrilled" per se, he understands and supports me. Albeit - somewhat begrudgingly... But nonetheless, supports me!!!! Wooooo hoooooo!!! I'll be turning 40 at the end of this summer. And I hope to be on the path of a better feeling ME! :D

Hi there! I was banded at the end of October. I can understand your apprehensions about Mexico, but rest assured the place is fantastic! My mom worked in the medical field for almost 30 years and she went with me and was incredibly pleased with the place. Better than some hospitals i've been in here in the US! Everyone is top notch and knows what they are doing. I haven't told everyone that I went to Mexico because of the same percieved notions many have, but I have shown some of my close friends my pictures of TJ and the OCC and they were very impressed. I know it's hard to say since you haven't been there, but trust me you will have no regrets!

If any of you reading this are in the medical field chime in - I know we've talked about it before. They can attest to the OCC and the quality of care you receive.

So glad your hubby is supportive. I wouldn't worry about it if he wasn't elated if he's supportive take it and run. It's probably just a healthy does of concern which is good. I had many friends and family that were supportive, but also asked lots of questions. It's great because that means they care!

I wanted to do this three years ago when I had a BMI of 33. By the time I saved the money, it was over 40!!! Just sayin!!! Also, Dr, Ortiz is THE guy. There's nobody better. I know two Canadian doctors who have had him do their surgery recently and there are TONS of nurses on here that will tell you the same thing.

Sabrina:)

I wished I had done this before I became morbidly obese and did long term damage to my body. I had a BMI of 44.5 and weighed 275 pounds before I got the band. I wasted so many years being fat; I was unhappy and didn’t live life to the fullest.

Go for it if you can, I wish I did it at your age and at your weight – don’t wait until it’s too late, or close to it. I lost over 130 pounds and feel great now, but my knees and my body is still paying for the time I wasted being morbidly obese – I hope you never get there – its not something I’d wish on anyone.

If you can get the band and work with it to change your eating habits to a new healthy way, do it. And we'll be here to support you!

Best,

Lisa

OM Goodness- just last month I thought the same way!

I'm 5'3 193-196. BMI"s 33 - 34.5. I’ve spent the last 21 years as a yo yo dieter.....

I now weigh the most I’ve ever in my life. I'm 44 yrs old a mother of 2 boys. My oldest is Graduating High school this June and I have a 15yr. old....

I go on the “Healthy way” of eating for 6 months thinking the less I put in my mouth the better I am. Drop 20 pounds, Then I given in. 4 months later I'm right back where I started....

If I could lose 50-60 #'s and KEEP it off - You better believe it's worth it to me, I don't mind doing some bike riding, swim laps, walk the neighborhood for exercise.

I can't wait to end this yo yo cycle... How unhealthy is it to spend years of yo yo dieting/ Not good - using diet pills, fat burners, and all the other crap I've tried to lose weight. I too thought people would think I was lazy and should just diet instead of being Banded...

Well I tried that and have never been successful... I will be banded on May20th, And it can’t happen sooner.... From everything I’ve read on Doc O - I’m very happy that I’ve chose OCC to have this done..

PS,

Only cause my husband freaked, You may want to think of starting to tell your husband about Doc O and how good he is and show him what the clinic looks like before you launch into Oh BTW it's in Mexico - LOL

Also tell him that everywhere else does the procedure at 31 an above......

Hi,

I was the low BMI one too...

i got banded on 2/16/09

only has to loose 60 pounds

hope will

so faaaaaar doing great =D>

***UPDATE***

Hi again,

I just came back from Mexico.. had a filll

I drove in mexico went to 3 dif locations

I wasnt afraid at all

as long as its day time and'

you are just in that area....

dont go too faar

My mom and I had fun driving around...

media is always sxposing the worst (unfortunately)

anyhow, everything was OK !!

hope this will help

I also had a low BMI of 31. I was banded on March 27th weighing in at 189. I have lost 13 lbs since then. It is the best decision I have ever made. My husband was behind me 100%. I was a little scared to go into Mexico, not for the surgery, but because of the media's perception of Mexico right now. It was completely safe. We had a great time. The Marriot was great and the OCC was better then going to an outpatient facility in the US. My nurse practitioner referred me as she has had it down in Seattle, Washington 3 years ago. She said that if she had to do it all over again she would've gone to Mexico.

I thought of it this way...weight is something that is ALWAYS on my mind and do I still want to be thinking about it 10 years from now? NO!! And here I am...3 1/2 weeks post band and loving it. :wub:

Good luck...you won't be disappointed. :-h

Okay - {{{I'm getting excited!}}}... BUT, I can't help but think that I am somehow "weak" in that I couldn't do this on my own... And the fear of the PORT! Oh my! This foreign object that may petrude from my abdominal area??? Some people have it below their bra-line. Others have it at their waist line...etc. And finally - What about the pre-op diet? If I follow it to a "T", will I fall below a BMI of 31/32 and risk not qualifying??? *sorry for the hysterical ranting...* I just so badly want to enjoy the healthy, slender ME again after 20 years... :)

I had a lower BMI, I did not have to do the pre op diet, was just told not to gain any weight before surgery.

I to thought why can't i do this on my own, then remembered I had, many times over, only to regain.

Just remember you are doing this for you and don't worry what others think.

I totally agree with everyone here! I had a lower BMI and my physician here in the US (Kaiser) would not consider me for lapband surgery. I was very frustrated because my primary doctor told me that I should loose weight because diabetes and heart disease run in my family. I tried to argue the fact but got no where. I then decided to have the surgery done by Dr. Ortiz. I was very concerned and scared to travel to Mexico. I have to say it was the BEST decision I made. I love Dr. Ortiz and his staff. I was treated better by his staff then I've been treated in the US. They are actually fabulous! I'm going back down to TJ on Saturday for my first fill. I'm very excited!

Hello!

I'm 5' 5.5" tall and weighed 214 when I decided to get banded. I weighed 208 on surgery day and now weigh 171. I still need to lose about 30lbs., it's been slow going but I need to get my rear in gear and work WITH my band. [i haven't been a good bandster and have been 'eating around it'.]

I went to Dr. Ortiz to have my surgery in TJ and would do it all over again if I had to. No one here in the states would touch me either cause of my low BMI. Besides that, I'd rather have Dr. Ortiz do my surgery, he's an expert and I don't think any doc in the world has done as many lap band surgeries as he has. No worries, you'll be very safe with the OCC, they transport you everywhere you need to go. You won't regret choosing the OCC, they're the best!!!

Best wishes, Darlene

I was just banded on 4/20/09 and my experience has been great. When I first started planning my surgery I was really concerned about coming to TJ, but as I read posts here from other bandsters the nervousness went away. I've been a nurse for 13 years and everything at the OCC exceeded my expectations, from the cleanliness, organization and the service I received from each staff member. I'm so glad I choose to come to the OCC, I really was treated fabulously!! I even drove here from Orange County, CA with my sister and that was not bad. Today after getting released from the OCC, we went walking around the Lucerna hotel and bought some juice at the convenience store and went to the nearby pharmacy to buy some more of the pain med (Supradol) they gave me to take home. They only give you enough for 2 days and I wanted to have extra just in case. It was really nice going for a walk and we never felt unsafe. I also have to add I was pleased with my decision of staying at the Lucerna, the service has been very good.

It seems that the 1 constant I keep reading is that most people don't regret their decision. It's amazing the various emotions that I've gone through from when I 1st started looking into this - FEAR being the most prevalent... Not just about the location of having it done in Mexico, but also the severity of what I am considering doing - Such drastic measures! But I think I've reached the point of knowing that there will always be a bit of fear in anything whenever I feel "challenged." I am doing this for ME - For my health, both physical and emotional... I know that in a year from now I won't regret my decision either. I hope to be scheduling my surgery today...

That all being said, and not that I am changing my mind (b/c I'm starting to get really excited about this!), but a dose of reality would also help. Anyone willing to share some of the "unpleasantness" that I can expect the 1st month? And a huge THANK YOU for all who has taken the time to share their experiences. It's the exact dose of "support" that I have been needing!!!!

About the port.... my port is located above and to the left of my belly button. It doesn't stick out, I can feel it if I push around for it. Some people have had their port repositioned after they lost their weight to hide it a little better. I don't expect to be wearing string bikinis so I'm not worried about my port showing. I have my scars from the banding, also for appendix and a laproscopic hystorectomy. I think of them as my battle scars...hehehehe!

Best wishes! I remember your excitement... I felt the same way.... a new life!!! :party: