HCG Injections

I think there is some confusion between a scientific study and a testimonial. The positive results you might be finding on Google are just people talking. The studies that were mentioned were double blind studies performed in a controlled environment. It's not possible for them to be "blowing smoke". That is the entire reason to perform studies in that manner. The subjects of the studies DO take the hCG. Well, at least half of them. The other half would be given a placebo. It has been proven to not work on a scientific level.

I see a few people here that say they've never heard of it. Or they're having a hard time finding a place to get it. Ever wonder why that is? My guess is because it was proven to not work over 30 years ago. A man was actually put in prison for making false claims about the effectiveness of hCG for obesity.

With that said, there's no harm in trying if you want to spend the money on it. The mind is a powerful thing and in the end people are going to believe what they want to believe. If it works for you and you lose some weight that's awesome! Losing weight is the main goal and if for whatever reason it helps you out then that's great. I'm certainly not trying to start an argument...I was just presenting the facts that I found when I researched this a while back.

Edit:

I thought I would add a link to this page. There are many references at the end of the page that link to information about many of the studies that have been done. They all come to the same conclusion. These studies have been performed all over the world. Not just in the US.

http://www.dietscam.org/reports/hcg.shtml

Clynn, Roblynn, LisaLaw, BandDiva:

How is it going? How do you feel? Any results yet?

I am only 3 days into it

:D

nothing earth shattering yet

Well I am 3 days into the low calorie phase. Gained a pound on the fat loading stage which I completely expected except with the way I was eating I thought I would have gained more than that. This morning I weighed in at 208 which puts me at net - 4 pounds. The diet is pretty strict and a bit tough. Last night I felt a little lethargic so I made some eggs and felt better. I decided today to double my meat servings. We'll see if the weight loss continues with that but I don't see why it should be a problem.

I think there is some confusion between a scientific study and a testimonial. The positive results you might be finding on Google are just people talking. The studies that were mentioned were double blind studies performed in a controlled environment. It's not possible for them to be "blowing smoke". That is the entire reason to perform studies in that manner. The subjects of the studies DO take the hCG. Well, at least half of them. The other half would be given a placebo. It has been proven to not work on a scientific level.

I see a few people here that say they've never heard of it. Or they're having a hard time finding a place to get it. Ever wonder why that is? My guess is because it was proven to not work over 30 years ago. A man was actually put in prison for making false claims about the effectiveness of hCG for obesity.

With that said, there's no harm in trying if you want to spend the money on it. The mind is a powerful thing and in the end people are going to believe what they want to believe. If it works for you and you lose some weight that's awesome! Losing weight is the main goal and if for whatever reason it helps you out then that's great. I'm certainly not trying to start an argument...I was just presenting the facts that I found when I researched this a while back.

Edit:

I thought I would add a link to this page. There are many references at the end of the page that link to information about many of the studies that have been done. They all come to the same conclusion. These studies have been performed all over the world. Not just in the US.

http://www.dietscam.org/reports/hcg.shtml

I understand where you are coming from. Just depends on who does the study! Dr.'s who actually endorse the product have done their studies too. I wouldnt have spent my money if folks werent losing weight using it. Ive done Weight Watchers, Jenny Craig and never saw these results, so I believe in it!

Today marks a week of the low calorie phase and I'm down 8 pounds. Sometimes the diet is easy and sometimes it is very very hard, not because I am hungry necessarily but because there's very little variety of foods. I went to the grocery store yesterday and that was TOUGH being surrounded by all those foods that were off limits. When I got back I just couldn't stand it anymore and had a cup of cheerios. Then at weigh in this morning, guess what, no weight loss for the day. I'll just have to keep myself out of those situations where I'm tempted because it really takes very little to bring things to a halt. However, at this point I certainly feel it's all been worth it. I've lost more in the last week than I have in the last year.

On another note, I've fallen in love with Stevia. It tastes and feels like real sugar which is something Splenda just couldn't quite accomplish. I'm allowed the juice of 1 lemon per day and bought a bag of them from Costco so every night I make fresh squeezed lemonade out of lemon juice & Stevia and it is very refreshing.

I'll check back in in another week.

Today marks a week of the low calorie phase and I'm down 8 pounds. Sometimes the diet is easy and sometimes it is very very hard, not because I am hungry necessarily but because there's very little variety of foods. I went to the grocery store yesterday and that was TOUGH being surrounded by all those foods that were off limits. When I got back I just couldn't stand it anymore and had a cup of cheerios. Then at weigh in this morning, guess what, no weight loss for the day. I'll just have to keep myself out of those situations where I'm tempted because it really takes very little to bring things to a halt. However, at this point I certainly feel it's all been worth it. I've lost more in the last week than I have in the last year.

On another note, I've fallen in love with Stevia. It tastes and feels like real sugar which is something Splenda just couldn't quite accomplish. I'm allowed the juice of 1 lemon per day and bought a bag of them from Costco so every night I make fresh squeezed lemonade out of lemon juice & Stevia and it is very refreshing.

thanks for the update! that sounds yummy.

I am still sitting at a plateau, but I am not being religious about the food. The diet that goes with it sucks rocks.

I have been watching what I eat and tracking things on Sparkpeople.com - which helps. I have noticed though where I give myself the shot, my stomach is flatter - so I don't know what that means...maybe it is eating my fat? LOL

Congrats! 8 lbs. is amazing!

thanks for the update! that sounds yummy.

I am still sitting at a plateau, but I am not being religious about the food. The diet that goes with it sucks rocks.

I have been watching what I eat and tracking things on Sparkpeople.com - which helps. I have noticed though where I give myself the shot, my stomach is flatter - so I don't know what that means...maybe it is eating my fat? LOL

Obviously what is happening is that you are slowly deflating where you are poking the holes. People are like balloons right? Ok maybe not.

But yeah, I have no doubt now that the diet is essential to making this work. Doubling my meat portion didn't cause any problems but adding some fat or sugar sure brought things to a halt right quick. I read on some websites that coconut oil is the only acceptable fat. I bought a jar at the supermarket yesterday and it is some weird stuff. It doesn't smell overpoweringly of coconuts and is almost the consistency of wax. I had to melt it before I was able to use it but after a week of not cooking with any oils it sure made my shrimp and onions taste delicious. I have to go easy on it though because it is a bit spendy.

Obviously what is happening is that you are slowly deflating where you are poking the holes. People are like balloons right? Ok maybe not.

But yeah, I have no doubt now that the diet is essential to making this work. Doubling my meat portion didn't cause any problems but adding some fat or sugar sure brought things to a halt right quick. I read on some websites that coconut oil is the only acceptable fat. I bought a jar at the supermarket yesterday and it is some weird stuff. It doesn't smell overpoweringly of coconuts and is almost the consistency of wax. I had to melt it before I was able to use it but after a week of not cooking with any oils it sure made my shrimp and onions taste delicious. I have to go easy on it though because it is a bit spendy.

I hope it is deflating me...LOL

be careful of the coconut oil. I have some of it and you should not use more than 1 tsp at a time...or you will be trotting to the toilet from how 'slick' you have become

CLYNN CAN YOU MAYBE CLARIFY SOMETHING FOR ME. I KNOW THAT WITH THE DIET, I FIGURED YOU'D LOSE SOME WEIGHT BUT CAN YOU TELL ME HOW YOU THINK THE HCG INJECTIONS ARE HELPING? ARE THEY KEEPING THE HUNGER AT BAY? IS THAT THE OBJECT OF THEM?

• 4 months later...

bump.

did all of you doing these injections melt away to nothing?!

just wondering what the overall update/status is.

I am still using it, although very infrequently, I typically forget to take them :)

It has definately eliminated much of the belly fat I had. I have not been able to exercise from my spinal surgery and I firmly believe it helped to break the plateau I was stuck on for seven months.

• 3 months later...

I know BandDiva had success with taking the weight off and keeping it off but for me it was a failure. I couldn't stick with the plan. I did the injections and was totally unable to do the 500 calories for an extended period of time. The weight I did lose (less than 10 lbs) came back and then some. I'm less hungry now with an unfilled band than I was injecting the HCG into my stomach every day. Also, even though I switched areas of where I did my injections I started to develop a bruise and a tender bump on the right side of my stomach and it took almost a year for it to go away completely. I had my doctor check it out and forgot what he called it. Anway, I stopped the injections because I was failing on the diet and the bruising was the final straw.

I know BandDiva had success with taking the weight off and keeping it off but for me it was a failure. I couldn't stick with the plan. I did the injections and was totally unable to do the 500 calories for an extended period of time. The weight I did lose (less than 10 lbs) came back and then some. I'm less hungry now with an unfilled band than I was injecting the HCG into my stomach every day. Also, even though I switched areas of where I did my injections I started to develop a bruise and a tender bump on the right side of my stomach and it took almost a year for it to go away completely. I had my doctor check it out and forgot what he called it. Anway, I stopped the injections because I was failing on the diet and the bruising was the final straw.

Hi Fellow bandsters..

Just wanted to pop my two cents worth in...

I hadn't followed this topic before and have to admit to being concerned at how readily some folks are ready to jump headfirst into an unapproved method of quick weight loss. I mean..injecting yourself with an unproven hormone??? A longterm (more than a week) diet that advises only 500 calories a day??

OMgosh..it just reeks dangerous health complications!!

The excess weight that we have put on during the course of our lives has taken months and sometimes years to accumulate. Some of us have been heavy our entire lives. It's going to take time and energy to be rid of it..and a lifetime of committement to keep it off. The lapband is no magic wand..it's just a tool to aid us and the onus of the work is still on us.

There is only one proven way to lose weight safely. Be smart about what you eat ..and exercise hard daily. You have to succeed in burning more calories every day than the total calories found in the amount of food you ate that same day. If you are certain that you aren't sabotaging your weight loss by eating incorrectly then you need to address your exercise routine.

Boost your daily workouts or change your training routines. If you are a walker and you're not losing weight...challenge yourself to ride a bike for an hour in addition to your walks. Go to the local rec center and join a water aerobics class and swim 10 laps afterwards... Take a family member or friend and go for a three hour hike on the weekends in addition to your daily exercise routine... Go to the local fitness center and enroll yourself in a program that provides you with a fitness coach that will assist and monitor a customized daily work-out for you.

Just get moving!! Your body will respond!!

It's actually pretty simple. It just takes time. Stick with it. It does work.

:lol:

i'm bumpin' this thread up, as i just saw this pop up on my favourite CNN website ...

http://edition.cnn.com/2010/HEALTH/expert.q.a/03/12/hcg.diet.jampolis/index.html

Thanks for posting...yet, the answer was not at all surprising.

HCG alone has been scientifically proven to not help with weight loss.

HCG along with a 500 calorie a day diet will sometimes show weight loss results.

It doesn't take a lot of common sense to see where the weight loss is actually coming from. Especially considering that people can barely survive on a 500 calorie a day diet and many experts find it unhealthy. It sounds to me like a bunch of people just trying to make money by selling HCG since they can't really sell a 500 calorie a day diet.

Okay, so I'm thinking of doing this as well and have done some research at places in my area (Scottsdale, AZ), there seems to be many, many places doing it with great results. My questions was about how much it costs.... The place I'm considering is about $400 for eight weeks (avg weight loss is 4-8) for each of those eight weeks. This price doesn't include the HCG which I guess is about $75 or so more. This includes weekly doctor visits, bloodwork and all. I'm sure it isn't for everyone (just like the band), but worth a try for those who have been stuck. I think it will be similar to the original month liquid diet for me which was very restrictive. At that time I wasn't hungry at all and had no trouble with it. Hoping this will be the same. Anyone have more input that are doing it right now would be greatly appreciated. I am ready to do this and move those scales in the right direction again!!!

Hi Fellow bandsters..

Just get moving!! Your body will respond!!

It's actually pretty simple. It just takes time. Stick with it. It does work.

laugh.gif

This was pre-band. I was working with a personal trainer 3x per week and on my own 2x per week when I did this. I don't recommend it. I agree with what Chad said. It was a way to sell a 500 calorie per day diet and anyone can lose on that but no one thinks they can stick to it on it's own. I went to my doctor and discussed it prior, he had read about it himself and was currenlty researching it but wasn't sold on it. I had already been giving myself 4 injections a week for years (medically supervised) and was pretty used to it. But that was about 50 lbs ago. My metabolism was not kick started. :P

Okay, so I'm thinking of doing this as well and have done some research at places in my area (Scottsdale, AZ), there seems to be many, many places doing it with great results. My questions was about how much it costs.... The place I'm considering is about $400 for eight weeks (avg weight loss is 4-8) for each of those eight weeks. This price doesn't include the HCG which I guess is about $75 or so more. This includes weekly doctor visits, bloodwork and all. I'm sure it isn't for everyone (just like the band), but worth a try for those who have been stuck. I think it will be similar to the original month liquid diet for me which was very restrictive. At that time I wasn't hungry at all and had no trouble with it. Hoping this will be the same. Anyone have more input that are doing it right now would be greatly appreciated. I am ready to do this and move those scales in the right direction again!!!

Zoey, maybe you misunderstood all of the clinical information provided on in this thread on HCG .. It DOES NOT WORK.

Don't waste your money.

I'm still interested in hearing updates from those of you who are right now getting these injections. I know everything doesn't always work for everyone, but when you do hear many success stories it makes me wonder. Seems like it would be worth a try. So anyone have more information and/or updates, please share.

Thanks so much and good luck to all!

I'm still interested in hearing updates from those of you who are right now getting these injections. I know everything doesn't always work for everyone, but when you do hear many success stories it makes me wonder. Seems like it would be worth a try. So anyone have more information and/or updates, please share.

Thanks so much and good luck to all!

I sent you a private message. Good luck with what you decide. :)