At my goal weight, now what??

I had my surgery Oct 8, 2008. I had to get a complete unfill because my band tightened where I couldn't get even water down. I am at my goal weight now. Do I try to go at it without a fill?? I'm kinda nervous but so far I have been maintaining. I just can't deal with a tightened band anymore!

All of you out there who have reached their goal, did you keep your fill in?

Thanks,

Lisa B.

I'm not at your spot yet, but I know for me I will never want to go for a complete unfill. I would like to try loosening it up a bit to try more willpower, but for me i'm not sure I could lose it completely. Maybe if I slowly loosened I could build up my willpower, but I guess I will see as the time comes.

Good luck and let us know what you decide!

I asked my fill doctor about getting a little bit of an unfill when I reach my goal and he said no. He said that I know what is needed to lose, maintain and gain weight and to just keep an eye on make weight and make eating adjustments as necessary. If you can maintain without unbearable hunger at your current fill level, I say stay there and see how things go.

Thanks for your responses everyone! Well, I have a complete unfill at the moment because my band tightened. My problem is also my will power,but I have been maintaining. I can't get a fill for at least a month anyway,because it's still swollen. I guess I will wait and see. If the scale starts moving in the wrong direction, I guess it will be time for a fill LOL. I am hoping to use self control though. I also plan on getting a tummy tuck and all the works done next year. I know I will need an unfill then as well.

Oh on a side note, My husband is from Ecuador. We contacted plastic surgeons there and for a tummy tuck, breast lift, leg lift and arm lift its $5,000 total!!! More than half the price of Mexico and my husband has family there. I have to wait until next July though. That's the only time my husband can go and I can get my Mom to watch our kids. I can't wait!

Thanks for your responses everyone! Well, I have a complete unfill at the moment because my band tightened. My problem is also my will power,but I have been maintaining. I can't get a fill for at least a month anyway,because it's still swollen. I guess I will wait and see. If the scale starts moving in the wrong direction, I guess it will be time for a fill LOL. I am hoping to use self control though. I also plan on getting a tummy tuck and all the works done next year. I know I will need an unfill then as well.

Oh on a side note, My husband is from Ecuador. We contacted plastic surgeons there and for a tummy tuck, breast lift, leg lift and arm lift its $5,000 total!!! More than half the price of Mexico and my husband has family there. I have to wait until next July though. That's the only time my husband can go and I can get my Mom to watch our kids. I can't wait!

I didn't have any kind of an unfill when I had my TT and Arm Lift at the end of April.

My plastic surgeon (as well as the other two I had a consult with) would not have done a TT, leg lift and arm lift all at the same time - I asked. He said that I needed at least one of those three areas left untouched so that I would be able to better move myself from one position to another, which made sense. My arms and tummy were both sore, so I had to rely more on legs to get me from a seated to a standing position.

Based on previous experience, there is no way I would have all 4 of these done at the same time. I lost too much blood from my combined TT and Arm Lift to the point that I have been anemic the pst few months as well as low in vitamins D and B12. My D and B12 are normal now, but my iron is still kind of low. I have been exhausted because of this and I do not want to ever do this to myself again, be it intentionally or unintentionally.

I'm at goal and have been for a month. Dr. Miranda told me to just leave my fill where it is. I was continuing to loose, so I just upped the calories a little to maintain. I have had episodes of being too tight, most recently on vacation where I got a little stressed from travel, family time etc. During the tight times I just try to stick to soup and soft things that I know woln't be a problem, drink maalox as needed and not worry too much. Hope that helps. I wouldn't get an unfill unless your symptoms persist for a week or more or you can't keep liquids or really soft stuff down.

I’m there as well, had a partial unfill and have been putting off going for the total unfill. However it’s really on my lists of things to accomplish. I would like to not worry about tightening under stress, travel or all of those other fun times (PMS, salty foods, etc.). I need to know that I am strong enough to control my relationship with food on my own without relying on the band.

However I have this bit of fear that if I do it I will start to gain the weight again. Having some fill does keep me “honest” with my eating. I’ve taken classes on eating healthy, focused myself on having a good relationship with food and still don’t trust myself enough to do it.

I most likely will do it at some point, and if I start gaining the weight back, I'll just go in for a fill - that's actually what’s so cool about the band. We can manage it, for life. Try it lose, or tighten it up if needed - with what other WLS can you do that? Damn we’re lucky…..

Best,

Lisa

Lisa,

I have been following your posts and your transformation is amazing!

I have my surgery at the OCC scheduled for September 25. I'm so excited and nervous! I will be one month into a graduate program at the time of the Friday surgery; hoping I can recover enough to attend class Monday night. I also have a 3 year old who just started preschool yesterday and an almost 6 year old who is starting first grade next week. I have a lot going on! Luckily my job is per diem so I can scale back on that for a little while. I'm starting to feel some pressure and that maybe I'm not so intelligent to get this done at this time.

However, these anxieties and realities are not going too stop me. :)

Margaret

hi LisaBen

I'm totally in the same boat I don't want to lose anymore weight.(I can't believe I"m saying that)

I am unfilled but still very tight and can eat very little. I keep eating high calorie foods/drinks so I don't get any smaller.

Lisa,

I have been following your posts and your transformation is amazing!

I have my surgery at the OCC scheduled for September 25. I'm so excited and nervous! I will be one month into a graduate program at the time of the Friday surgery; hoping I can recover enough to attend class Monday night. I also have a 3 year old who just started preschool yesterday and an almost 6 year old who is starting first grade next week. I have a lot going on! Luckily my job is per diem so I can scale back on that for a little while. I'm starting to feel some pressure and that maybe I'm not so intelligent to get this done at this time.

However, these anxieties and realities are not going too stop me. :)

Margaret

Hello Margaret,

Welcome and honestly, I'm just one of many of us banded and living life very differently than we use too. It’s normal to be nervous - you're making a very significant change in your life, and with school and little ones on top of it! I'm feeling it for you!

You'll make it, it’s the best thing you can do for you and your family. Sometimes you just have to jump in and go for it (most of us wish we’d done it sooner).

I'm a little bit worried about your schedule - with little one's I'd like you to have more time off, I had my surgery on Friday and was back to work by Tuesday, but no little ones - mine are all grown up. So take care and try not to do too much!

I’m proud of you and you’ll do just fine!

Best,

Lisa

Hi Lisa,

I am so excited for you that you have lost and are at your goal. I can't believe it has almost been a year seen we were there. I am steady at 146 right now and am looking to get another small fill in this month. I havent reached my goal but another 10-15 I will. For me it's slow and I am happy because I do not need the TT. Maybe at goal I will do the breasts.

Keep in touch.

Kim

I didn't have any kind of an unfill when I had my TT and Arm Lift at the end of April.

My plastic surgeon (as well as the other two I had a consult with) would not have done a TT, leg lift and arm lift all at the same time - I asked. He said that I needed at least one of those three areas left untouched so that I would be able to better move myself from one position to another, which made sense. My arms and tummy were both sore, so I had to rely more on legs to get me from a seated to a standing position.

Based on previous experience, there is no way I would have all 4 of these done at the same time. I lost too much blood from my combined TT and Arm Lift to the point that I have been anemic the pst few months as well as low in vitamins D and B12. My D and B12 are normal now, but my iron is still kind of low. I have been exhausted because of this and I do not want to ever do this to myself again, be it intentionally or unintentionally.

How were your results with the arm lift? I haven't seen one that didn't leave a lot of scaring? I would appreciate your insight because I have a lot to lose and my arms are big...

• 3 weeks later...
How were your results with the arm lift? I haven't seen one that didn't leave a lot of scaring? I would appreciate your insight because I have a lot to lose and my arms are big...

When I listed the procedures I wanted to have done the Arm Lift was at the very top of my list - I have wanted that done for many years regardless of my weight. I have a scar from arm pit to about 2 inches above my arm pit. Yes, the scar shows if I raise my arms, but at least I will raise my arms now. Prior to the arm lift I wore nothing sleeveless and my arms were glued to my side as much as possible. My PS will be taking pictures in November and I am going to ask him if I can have a copy. I have some pictures posted in the gallery, but they are not very good. I have an excellent PS and my scars are very straight - I have seen some that look like they were chewed on by a tiger. It takes about a year for scars to totally heal (more like 15 months in my case). If these scars heal like the ones on my belly and feet people won't even notice I have a scar by this time next year. Unfortunately, some people just don't have scars that heal very well.

• 3 weeks later...

$5000??!!! That is awesome...I would be totally interested to hear more about this...or from anyone that has had it done there! That will be my next step...and WOW...what a price difference!

• 1 year later...

Before dashing off in pursuit of an ideal body you should ask yourself what kind of figure you want.

For many women the most important thing may be to look like the figures of models on the glossy pages of the fashion magazines.

And yet the majority of models have a weight and a BMI from 15 to 23% below the average of women of the same age.

In the last 30 years, models have become 23% slimmer; while the average woman of the same age in Western countries has become 15% fatter. This is valid also for male models.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

wow great thread!

Plastic Surgery - if a PS is saying they will do all those at one time - run the other way. Way too much for your body to handle - trust me - had lips/tt/ba at one time and it was almost too much. I did not have to get an unfill either.

Fills/Unfills. Okay - first I may be a bit over careful as I have a stretched pouch but get as few fills as possible. Don't monkey around with the fill. Get to a good spot and manage it. If you are too tight - take care of that but otherwise - let it be. If you are at goal - you should be able to eat a bit more and it will help you maintain.

The band is an amazing tool - when it works it is the greatest thing in the world.

Donna C in Seattle