NOVEMBER SURGERIES AND FILLS

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

bethsmom is going to kill me for posting this, but she started eating solid food yesterday. Not just solid food, but CHICKEN of all things! I know she's over 2 weeks out, but she's soooo close to the finish line, I just wanted to see her make it!

I think stress won out over following the rules to a T. She's looking at a high possibility of being laid off on December 6th, and is just REALLY CRANKY right now.

*worries for her*

bethsmom is going to kill me for posting this, but she started eating solid food yesterday. Not just solid food, but CHICKEN of all things! I know she's over 2 weeks out, but she's soooo close to the finish line, I just wanted to see her make it!

I think stress won out over following the rules to a T. She's looking at a high possibility of being laid off on December 6th, and is just REALLY CRANKY right now.

*worries for her*

Hi Beth,

I am not sure if there is anything I can say that you have not already tried to say to your mom. We were banded on the same day so I know that she only has until Friday morning before she can eat solid foods again. How was she for Thanksgiving? Was yesterday her only slip? Was it only chicken or other things as well like bread and starches that can expand?

I guess the one thing I would ask her is if she slipped becaue she feels out of control and or stressed or if it was just a moment of weakness. My worry for her is that she will not be able to manage what she eats come Friday because if not then she is going to be in trouble for weeks 4 & 5 until she can get her first fill.

It is one thing to slip and it is another thing to fall into a pattern. I understand how the threat of being laid of can contribute to feeling of having no control (I was there myself 9 months ago). I wish I could offer you something that she could try to do to over come moments of temptation. Are the pounds still flying off her? I know you said that was helping with the temptation initially.

The one thing I have not tried but thought about trying is watching episodes of The Biggest Looser for motivation (even if that means renting them). For me getting out of the house when that feeling hits has worked the best. I already mentioned that reading my Women's Health magazines when that feeling hit has also been helpful. I also read the Weight Watchers magazines when I get the urge as a means of motivation. I even try to keep busy by cutting and pasting things from the magazines into a journal that I find motivating and/or interesting. It has become such a project that I literally forget about my hunger.

I also would like to suggest that she might want to try changing her prespective on the situation. I trick myself my playing a mental game I call the "Challenge." Every day I wake up my mission for the day is to find as many tasty liquid combinations as a can and preferably ones that I have never tried before (sort of like Breakfast At Tiffany's for your taste buds). By doing this your mom will find herself exploring things that she normally would not. For me this was Indian Letil soup, organic split pea soup from Whole Foods, Prune Juice, Carrot Juice, mixing organic sweet potato soup with cinnemon and sugar, heating up a can of V8 on the stove for breakfast, etc. The point is to have the perspective that this is an adventure and probably one that only comes around once. By the way, my favorite "discovery" was Miso Soup Mix :D

Another thing that I found really motivating AND distracting was watching You Tube videos of people who have been banded. Some of the video journals are really moving. You find yourself watching one after another and soon you realize you forgot about dinner.

I told her today that she really needed to be careful and reminded her that eating solids too soon could result in her band slipping. She hasn't eaten anything solid since then, so I'm HOPING that the reminder that she could literally undo everything she is working for just by "cheating" will be some motivation.

I KNOW how hard it is. My eating is awful right now. I have no restriction and am hungry all the time, and I'm not even worried about losing my job! Her two stress relievers are shopping and eating, and she can't do either one right now. I guess we'll just need to help each other get through this. Once Friday has come and gone, we will know one way or the other about her job and deal with it accordingly. At least the stress of waiting and not knowing will be over with.

Hi Beth,

I am not sure if there is anything I can say that you have not already tried to say to your mom. We were banded on the same day so I know that she only has until Friday morning before she can eat solid foods again. How was she for Thanksgiving? Was yesterday her only slip? Was it only chicken or other things as well like bread and starches that can expand?

I guess the one thing I would ask her is if she slipped becaue she feels out of control and or stressed or if it was just a moment of weakness. My worry for her is that she will not be able to manage what she eats come Friday because if not then she is going to be in trouble for weeks 4 & 5 until she can get her first fill.

It is one thing to slip and it is another thing to fall into a pattern. I understand how the threat of being laid of can contribute to feeling of having no control (I was there myself 9 months ago). I wish I could offer you something that she could try to do to over come moments of temptation. Are the pounds still flying off her? I know you said that was helping with the temptation initially.

The one thing I have not tried but thought about trying is watching episodes of The Biggest Looser for motivation (even if that means renting them). For me getting out of the house when that feeling hits has worked the best. I already mentioned that reading my Women's Health magazines when that feeling hit has also been helpful. I also read the Weight Watchers magazines when I get the urge as a means of motivation. I even try to keep busy by cutting and pasting things from the magazines into a journal that I find motivating and/or interesting. It has become such a project that I literally forget about my hunger.

I also would like to suggest that she might want to try changing her prespective on the situation. I trick myself my playing a mental game I call the "Challenge." Every day I wake up my mission for the day is to find as many tasty liquid combinations as a can and preferably ones that I have never tried before (sort of like Breakfast At Tiffany's for your taste buds). By doing this your mom will find herself exploring things that she normally would not. For me this was Indian Letil soup, organic split pea soup from Whole Foods, Prune Juice, Carrot Juice, mixing organic sweet potato soup with cinnemon and sugar, heating up a can of V8 on the stove for breakfast, etc. The point is to have the perspective that this is an adventure and probably one that only comes around once. By the way, my favorite "discovery" was Miso Soup Mix :D

Another thing that I found really motivating AND distracting was watching You Tube videos of people who have been banded. Some of the video journals are really moving. You find yourself watching one after another and soon you realize you forgot about dinner.

Please Help!!!

I was banded 11 days ago 11/20. The first 6 days I was not hungry or thirsty at all. I ended up getting dehydrated, may have had a GI bug. Once I got IV fluids I felt sooo much better. Since then I have been starving. I had two small meals, yes SOLIDS and am so mad at myself. I'm afraid I messed up something though I feel fine. Not sure exactly what to do, so I promised my self I would start the post-op diet all over, in the event I streched my pouch. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks Much,

Liz

Please Help!!!

I was banded 11 days ago 11/20. The first 6 days I was not hungry or thirsty at all. I ended up getting dehydrated, may have had a GI bug. Once I got IV fluids I felt sooo much better. Since then I have been starving. I had two small meals, yes SOLIDS and am so mad at myself. I'm afraid I messed up something though I feel fine. Not sure exactly what to do, so I promised my self I would start the post-op diet all over, in the event I streched my pouch. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks Much,

Liz

I think you will be fine. Don't beat yourself up, get back to the post op diet. Give you body time to heal and your band time to scar in. I struggled with my post op. Had my mini cheats. I even chewed and spit a few times. Hang in there and do the very best you can. If and I say if in the moment of desperation, choose soft mushy food. Like yougurt, cottage cheese. ect. You can do it!

Please Help!!!

Thanks Much,

Liz

I think you will be fine. Don't beat yourself up, get back to the post op diet. Give you body time to heal and your band time to scar in. I struggled with my post op. Had my mini cheats. I even chewed and spit a few times. Hang in there and do the very best you can. If and I say if in the moment of desperation, choose soft mushy food. Like yougurt, cottage cheese. ect. You can do it!

Please Help!!!

Thanks Much,

Liz

Liz,

Breathe! Take Angie's advice & choose the soft mussy foods if you must. Have you tried sprinkling fiber powder in your liquids? If not please try this first. Have you been taking the fiber chewables that Dr. Miranda suggested? If not also give this a try. Also try taking the chromium picolinate tablets once in the morning and once in the afternoon.

Also make a list of liquids that you have never tried before but have always wanted to try like soups, broths, drinks and go for it! If you do not know what these items are in a stronger moment go to the store and browse around. For me these were miso soup powder you mix with hot water, lentil soup that I used a bean masher on & added water to make it liquidy, spit pea soup without chunks, cream of broccoli soup from a can, the recipe for chicken tortilla soup found on this site under recipes...

My final suggestion is if you feel the urge for solids focus on those that you can at least modify to a creamy, semi liquid or water down. Applesauce, yogurt, pudding, whip cream, jell-o...you get the point. Mash it, puree it, whip it or add water to it.

Thanks soooo much ;) for your support. I will try those ideas. I havent tried any fiber supplement yet. Your support really drives me to do better. Will keep you updated.

Thanks again,

Liz

Thanks soooo much ;) for your support. I will try those ideas. I havent tried any fiber supplement yet. Your support really drives me to do better. Will keep you updated.

Thanks again,

Liz

No worries. You are doing great by the way on your weight loss. Here it is late afternoon in Los Angeles and I was starving so I popped open a can of V8 to hold me over until dinner. V8 is something I honestly would not normally consume but I like it. It is great to warm up too as a soup. I like it better at room temp than cold. Dont' be afraid to try new things Liz and you will find how easy it is.

I would also suggest fat free, sugar free frozen yogurt or sorbet either from the grocery or a yogurt shop.

Have you tried treating yourself to smoothies, sorbet, milk shakes or frozen yogurt yet? There are some great low calorie alternatives out there that you can buy or make at home. It also is an incentive to keep up the good work. I know Weight Watchers locations sell (you do not have to be a member) milk shake powders for milk shakes you can make at home in your blender and they taste fantastic. They have a vanilla chai one that I have been dying to try.

Here are my suggestions below for shopping:

Applesauce (try funky flavors like peach or strawberry)

Fat Free Cool Whip

Pudding Cups

Jell-O cups

Skim Milk

Campbell's Condensed Cream Soups

V8

Milk Shake Powder

Sorbet

Fat Free Sugar Free frozen yogurt

Frozen Fruit

Mishima Miso Soup Mix (try the Ethnic Foods Aisle)

Nestle Rich Hot Chocolate Powder Mix with Caramel (This tastes like a liquid candy bar!)

Drinkable Yogurt (The one I buy is call Yonique)

Slim Fast Optima Shakes (these really take the edge off)

Naked Fruit Smoothies (I buy the combo pack of 10 bottles from Costco for $5.99)

Bigelow Vanilla Chai (box of) tea bags (I hated hot tea until I tasted this...this tea makes you feel so relaxed and like you paid a lot of money for a treat from Starbuck's or something! Try it with a dash of skim milk)

Campbell's "Soup At Hand" (drinkable soup comes in a cup in the soup aisle) - Try the Tomato, Blended Vegetable Medley and the Tomato Parmesan Bisque

Imagine Creamy Tomato Soup (in a rectangle carton...I found this at Whole Foods but have also seen it at a discount store)

-From the above list you should be able to blend, whip, puree a combination of the ingrediants together for a special treat and endless possibilities.

Sounds Yummy! I will print the list out and go shopping tomorrow. I told my family I will not be cooking for them d/t the tempation of solid food. LOL! I will definately have to try your suggestions before I cook to help with the temptation.

Thanks again,

Liz

Sounds Yummy! I will print the list out and go shopping tomorrow. I told my family I will not be cooking for them d/t the tempation of solid food. LOL! I will definately have to try your suggestions before I cook to help with the temptation.

Thanks again,

Liz

Oh Sweetie, I forgot from you user name that you have a family. :blink: Sorry for the over sight, yah the last thing you need to be doing is cooking at this time! I have a 17 yesr old son and I basically went to the market and bought a whole bunch of stuff he could make on his own and said here you go. You children are probably younger but ask you other half to cook for them by all means and if he does not know how then I guess this is a great time to learn. :lol:

I am not much of a cooker anyway so in my case it was sort of no big deal. But I know what you mean. My best friend who lives in San Diego is married with 4 kids and is like I want to get banded but who is going to feed my kids if I am on liquids?

Anyway, I have been lucky in that my kid and my boyfriend pretty much understand what I am going through and try not to eat in front of me.

At any rate, I added more things to the list to get you going. Have fun shopping and don't be afraid to get creative! :)

OH! Almost forgot! Vert important...do not forget to tell the kids about mommy's food being for mommy and please do not touch. My son is 17 but I still have to have this conversation with him once a week after a shopping trip. I sound like a broken record now. Murphy's law...if you bought it for you and it is healthy and you like it they will want it too :)

Well I went shopping using the list you provided. Tried the tasty Spicy & Hot V8 Juice, I really like that. Also tried strawberry flavored applesauce. Mixing up the flavors really helps from getting too bored. My family offered to do the cooking but I'm afraid they will starve. I found that eating before I cook really helps. Can't wait for the solid phase but I'm proud of myself for staying away from the solids as of now.

Thanks again,

Liz

Well I went shopping using the list you provided. Tried the tasty Spicy & Hot V8 Juice, I really like that. Also tried strawberry flavored applesauce. Mixing up the flavors really helps from getting too bored. My family offered to do the cooking but I'm afraid they will starve. I found that eating before I cook really helps. Can't wait for the solid phase but I'm proud of myself for staying away from the solids as of now.

Thanks again,

Liz

Liz, I am glad you found some things that work for you. I know this sounds so generic but right now is really the time you need to put yourself first. You know that old saying about putting on your oxygen mask first on an airplane before you assist the person next to you. Eating before you make meals for others is a good idea.

You might also want to try different and strange grocery stores in your area to see what you find as well that way you do not get bored. I get bored with one store. Right now I have 5 different stores that I shop at and I am thinking about trying a sixth (Trader Joes).

The irony of it is that you will find that being on liquids is really not that bad and then you will not want to go back to solids. Today is my last day of liquids technically speaking but honestly I am too scared to go back to solids so I decided to do a combo of mushy and solids for at least 1 more week. The weight loss has been nice and I love soups especially this time of year.