NOVEMBER SURGERIES AND FILLS

Well, Halloween is over and you've ate all the kids candy,, shame on you! Next is Thanksgiving and then the Christmas holiday's are here. Your weight just doesn't seem to go down,, but it just keeps going up. Your now in the middle of the "Fatting Season", what are you going to do? Your going to take charge of your life and you've decided to have lap band surgery. This topic is where you can meet other patients and see if there going to be at the OCC at the same time as you. So lets hear from those who are coming to the OCC in the month of November for either their surgery or a band adjustment.

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ahhh!! so i JUST called occ and scheduled my surgery date!! i'm scared and excited and anxious...etc etc etc...

my pre-op and surgery date is wednesday, november 4th....anyone else out there gonna be there?

i wanted to get it done in early november for the reasons mentioned above....thanksgiving...christmas...new years.... feast time!!

YEAH!!! I have been waiting for you to open this forum Dolittle! Thanks! I am having my surgery Nov. 11 at the OCC. I cant wait!!

I would have scheduled sooner but had to get passports and arrange childcare. Everyone here seems so supportive and is so inspirational! I look forward to getting to know you guys better!

Okay so who else is gonna be a November bandster with us!!

awww hope! I am sorry... hopefully you can find someone to go with you... but I will say that I have read on here that many people went by themselves and had a great experience.. everyone at the OCC makes you feel at home and comfortable. Plus I bet the closer we get to Nov. we will have many more people here that will be getting banded around the same time as us and hopefully some on your day!!! :D

Hi Nov. Banders.....

I'm so nervous my surg date is Nov 23rd. Has anyone actually met or talked to Dr. Ortz's former patients? I know he is licensed in MX but Allergan-Inamet has never heard of him so I'm feeling a little skiddish right now. Not to mention that I can't find anything on Dr. Ortiz and Oprah. On the brighter side I haven't been able to Google anything negative... that's good right! :(

Everyone goes through this anxiety thing, You'll be fine. I don't know where you got the information about Allergan/Inamed, but Dr. Ortiz used to be their number one protor doctor in the USA. That means he used to go around the USA and teach the American surgeons the lap band proceedure. As far as I know,, they now come to him and the OCC clinic. He's too busy to be running around the USA. I remember back in Jan 2007, I called Inamed and got a great recommendation from their head guy. The Oprah segment ran twice. I don't know how you can see it, did you try Oprahs website and see if you could look at older segments? Dr. Ortiz was also on the Doctors show. Both show topics were concerning Teenage weight loss surgery.

Dr. Ortiz is very well know by Inamed/Allergan - give me a call and I'll give you their number and you can speak with them. Not sure who you spoke with but we are still a certified training faciilty and he is still a proctoring doctor with them! He just spoke at the World Obesity Conference in Paris.... he is a very well respected Lap Band doctor.

Remember. I was a patient of Dr. Ortiz and was so impressed that I started working for him!

I think we all went through some anxiety prior to our surgery.... please call or email me and I'd be happy to help!

I'm so excited and relieved too... I talked to the people at Allergan and they confirmed that Dr. Ortiz has Proctored for them, not that I didn't believe it, I just need to do my homework ;) . I have also receivced a few messages that have helped put my nerves at ease. Now I'm super excited to get this party started! My entire immediate family is going with me (husband and 3 kids) so I'll have all the help I will need and then some...hee hee. SO EXCITED!! :P

Hey everyone! I hope you are all doing well and getting prepared for your big day!! I started my pre-op diet today.. its a little early but hopefully it will ensure that I lose the 15lbs I need to lose before surgery. I am still so excited!

I also have read Dr. Ortiz's book "Lap Band for Life." I would recommend it for us as patients and for family members... it is soooo informative and covers just about anything you could want to know about the Band. I am also gonna read "Ultimate Lap-Band Success" by Dr. Duc Vuong, it was also highly rated on Amazon. Just thought I would share!! :P

Hi all! I doubt anyone remembers me anymore, as I haven't posted in nearly 2 years. I was going to have lap-band with Dr. Ortiz, but my insurance got changed and I was suddenly covered for surgery in San Diego (woo hoo!). I'm now 2 years out from my banding, and my MOM is getting banded with Dr. Ortiz on November 13th! I'm so excited for her, and glad that my research and ability to meet Dr. Ortiz and visit the clinic has made her comfortable enough to take this step forward.

When I had my surgery, I was at least a size 30/32. My highest weight was 331 and my surgery weight was 307. My mom is only an 18/20, but she's yo-yo'd her entire life, and I think this will be a great tool for her to use. I still have a long way to go. Because I was laid off, I spent over a year without the ability to afford a fill, and my weight loss stagnated. Now I'm back in the game. I've moved, found a new job, and have good insurance coverage once again!

Tomorrow morning I have a fill (finally!), and I'm taking my mom with me to see how it's done, so she's not so nervous when it's her turn. It's being done under X-ray because my port is at an angle, but that's okay - the fill is always more accurate that way!

I hope you all are doing well in your personal journey towards wellness.

Littleroo27

29 y/o

Hey everyone! I hope you are all doing well and getting prepared for your big day!! I started my pre-op diet today.. its a little early but hopefully it will ensure that I lose the 15lbs I need to lose before surgery. I am still so excited!

I also have read Dr. Ortiz's book "Lap Band for Life." I would recommend it for us as patients and for family members... it is soooo informative and covers just about anything you could want to know about the Band. I am also gonna read "Ultimate Lap-Band Success" by Dr. Duc Vuong, it was also highly rated on Amazon. Just thought I would share!! :P

Aww! You started on my birthday! I started it today! :)

Hi Everyone,

I am a newbie and I am getting my procedure done with Dr. Ortiz on November 13th as well (along with Beth's Mom). So I wonder how many procedure's Dr. Ortiz does in 1 day? I hope it is not like a wham bam thank you mam, next sort of thing. But we will see.

I live in West Los Angeles between Culver City and Santa Monica and I work in Beverly Hills. I have a son who is 17 (I had him when I was very young) and a boyfriend and my baby is an 11 month english old bulldog named Bogie. Bogie is my support system on a daily basis and if I could take him with me for the procedure I would but he would get stolen so that is out of the question.

I was laid off from Sony Pictures on 3/10/09 and that is the day we brought Bogie home from the breeder. He gave me the streangth, courage and self esteem I needed to find my current job that matched my pay, benefits from Sony but with more perks!

Like everyone else I am self-pay but not really, Sony is paying for a third with the rest of the severance package I have, My grandma is paying for 1/4th with a savings bond she gave me and I am paying for the rest with a laon form my 401K (so I get to payback myself with interest =D> ). So it's all good.

My boyfriend's mother is going with me for the procedure. My own mother wanted to go but I am not so sure about that yet. We were both cut from the same cloth and sometimes that can be problematic. I might have her meet me at the train station in San Deigo but still undecided.

I just hope I can be back at work on Monday morning. Please tell me I can be back at work on Monday morning. I am a new employee so I only have something like 3.5 days of accumulated vacation days. Two days of which I am taking for this procedure (thursday/friday).

Also, If anyone knows of a doctor in the Los Angeles area who will do my fills under floroscopy please, please, please share. I am going to make a bunch of calls tomorrow to find someone willing to take me. Since I only have limited vacation days I am sure you understand my need for a doctor in my area. It would be nice to see someone in BH or West LA on my lunch hour so please let me know.

"I just hope I can be back at work on Monday morning. Please tell me I can be back at work on Monday morning. I am a new employee so I only have something like 3.5 days of accumulated vacation days. Two days of which I am taking for this procedure (thursday/friday)."

I know that there are people who go back to work after just a few days, so if you have a desk job, it's certainly probable you'll be able to go back to work. It's important to remember, though, that you will have been on a liquid diet for a week or more, and will continue to be on a liquid diet for some time after the surgery. Lack of calories will make you physically tired, and your body will be putting all of its energy into healing your body. Be careful to stand up slowly in case you get dizzy, and don't overexert yourself.

I was lucky to be able to take time off when I had my surgery and found that for the first week, I barely had the energy to walk down the hall and back, but sitting in a chair was mostly okay. Maybe I'll see you down there on the 13th!

Beth

Hi Everyone,

I am a newbie and I am getting my procedure done with Dr. Ortiz on November 13th as well (along with Beth's Mom). So I wonder how many procedure's Dr. Ortiz does in 1 day? I hope it is not like a wham bam thank you mam, next sort of thing. But we will see.

I live in West Los Angeles between Culver City and Santa Monica and I work in Beverly Hills. I have a son who is 17 (I had him when I was very young) and a boyfriend and my baby is an 11 month english old bulldog named Bogie. Bogie is my support system on a daily basis and if I could take him with me for the procedure I would but he would get stolen so that is out of the question.

I was laid off from Sony Pictures on 3/10/09 and that is the day we brought Bogie home from the breeder. He gave me the streangth, courage and self esteem I needed to find my current job that matched my pay, benefits from Sony but with more perks!

Like everyone else I am self-pay but not really, Sony is paying for a third with the rest of the severance package I have, My grandma is paying for 1/4th with a savings bond she gave me and I am paying for the rest with a laon form my 401K (so I get to payback myself with interest =D> ). So it's all good.

My boyfriend's mother is going with me for the procedure. My own mother wanted to go but I am not so sure about that yet. We were both cut from the same cloth and sometimes that can be problematic. I might have her meet me at the train station in San Deigo but still undecided.

I just hope I can be back at work on Monday morning. Please tell me I can be back at work on Monday morning. I am a new employee so I only have something like 3.5 days of accumulated vacation days. Two days of which I am taking for this procedure (thursday/friday).

Also, If anyone knows of a doctor in the Los Angeles area who will do my fills under floroscopy please, please, please share. I am going to make a bunch of calls tomorrow to find someone willing to take me. Since I only have limited vacation days I am sure you understand my need for a doctor in my area. It would be nice to see someone in BH or West LA on my lunch hour so please let me know.

Have you checked with Dr. Carsion Liu at all? I'm not sure if he does his fills under floroscopy, but my friend has an appointment with him tomorrow and I will have her ask. :)