best liquids for right after surgery

I'm wondering what you all found to be the best liquids for the first few weeks.

Anyone have a great place to buy the optifast? Is that what it's called? I really like Slimfast so maybe I'll just stick to that?

I was banded less than two weeks ago, and to tell you the truth, I didn't feel like drinking anything the first few days - except water for my Gas-Ex pill. That air can be really painful so be sure to walk a lot, take the pills, and burp, burp, burp. They are small so you can drink them down - the strips have less medication in them.

Anyway, I found myself drinking Slim Fast more than anything else. Tomato Soup and Drinkable Yogurt give me some variety, but Slim Fast is my thing. I've lost 10 pounds in less than two weeks!! Another woman banded on the same day as me has lost 15-20 already.

I'm excited for you! It's not a cake-walk like I thought it would be. I was sore from the gas and the proceedure, but was feeling like my old self in about a week.

I posted this list under Post Op Diet & Food forum and it is titled "Liquids Anyone?"

1. Active Lifestyle Gellatin Cups - loaded with 4 grams of fiber per serving! Flavors are better than Jell-O!

2. Mishima Miso Soup poweder mix - comes in individual packets that you just mix with hot water! Only 35 calories a pop.

3. Cool Whip Lite or Cool Whip Free (great with the Jell-O. Feels like you are cheating when you are not)

4. Nestle Rich Hot Cocoa Powder with Caramel - A liquid Candy Bar!

5. Bigelow Vanilla Chai Tea Bags - A box of 20 (Try with a dash of skim milk and you would think you paid $3.5 for a cup at Starbucks!

6. Campbell's Soup At Hand (creamy flavors like Blended Vegetable Medley, Classic Tomato, Tomato Parmesan Bisque)

7. Imagine Organic Creamy Tomato Soup (comes in a rectangle carton)

8. Yonique Low Fat Yogurt Drinks (Pina Colada is awesome)

9. Lifeway Lowfat flavored Kefir (found this at Whole Foods)

10. Slim Fast Optima Shakes (The only protein shake I like)

11. Benefiber individual Drink Powder (like Cystal Light except 3 grams of fiber per pouch - sold in the Metamucil Aisle. Flavors are awesome. Mix with bottled water.)

12. Original V8 - I love this at room temp or heated on the stove as a soup.

13. Naked Fruit Smoothies (variety pack of 10, 10 ounce bottles found at Costco for $5.99. I use these for breakfast!)

14. Applesauce cups (mix it up by buying flavors like peach or strawberry)

For the week after surgery you could go with #s 1,2,5,11 as well as add popsicles, gatorade, & Crystal Light On The Go.

I have not seen these shakes called Optifast but like you I really like the Slim Fast shakes only because I hate all chocolate anything and the french vanilla and strawberries n Cream flavors really taste yummy.

Thanks! Your list looks great. I've printed it. ;) I'm on 3 shakes only now and the weight is coming off, but I'm starving. Surgery is next Friday! I'm in the bathroom about every hour because of how much water I'm drinking--so much that I feel like I'll sail away! It's actually interfering with my work! :lol Dr. Miranda yelled at me to cut out my snacks, so I'm kind of a bear right now. :bag

Thanks! Your list looks great. I've printed it. ;) I'm on 3 shakes only now and the weight is coming off, but I'm starving. Surgery is next Friday! I'm in the bathroom about every hour because of how much water I'm drinking--so much that I feel like I'll sail away! It's actually interfering with my work! :lol Dr. Miranda yelled at me to cut out my snacks, so I'm kind of a bear right now. :bag

Hey there! I remember you said you are drinking slim fast. You may want to consider a shake with a higher protein content. The shakes I drink have something like 30 grams of protein. That will help with the hunger. Also will Dr. Miranda allow you to have a green salad??? That might help too. Fat free dressing. Chew some gum....that will help ease the lack of chewing and curb hunger.

Are you taking chewable fiber??? Chromium?

Hi, I am glad you liked my list and printed it :D The only thing is, stop drinking the Slim Fast...they did a recall of all Slim Fast shakes today and are advising that if you have some throw it away and contact Unilever for a refund. I like it the best too so this bums me out! It has 10 grams of Protein per shake which is great but you need to drink like 5 - 7 per day in my case to get the right amount of protein. I hope you find a good replacement as I have not been able to (the others are mostly chocolate or taste funky).

Agreed on the Slim Fast...it is very high in sugar and i'd recommend not doing it. Everyone has their own taste but I personally liked the EAS shakes best. Don't like the vanilla or other stuff, but like the chocolate. i'm not a big sweets person so the 21 days was rough for me, but if I can do it anyone can! :)

Who did the recall on slim fast and why did they do it.

Debbie

There was a possible bacterial contamination incident at the plant & the manufacturer (Unilever) decided to recall all shakes regardless of experation dates, flavors, or type (3-2-1, Optima) so as to not take any chances.

Too bad for me this was my breakfast for the last week (only 3 WW points per can) and I was going this weekend to restock since I drank the last one this morning :(

There was a possible bacterial contamination incident at the plant & the manufacturer (Unilever) decided to recall all shakes regardless of experation dates, flavors, or type (3-2-1, Optima) so as to not take any chances.

Too bad for me this was my breakfast for the last week (only 3 WW points per can) and I was going this weekend to restock since I drank the last one this morning :(

I read the recall and they said that the powder mix was okay. I used that and it was sooooooooooooooo good. They have a chocolate royal fudge that tastes sinful. Try it

Debbie

I read the recall and they said that the powder mix was okay. I used that and it was sooooooooooooooo good. They have a chocolate royal fudge that tastes sinful. Try it

Debbie

Debbie, You are right the powder is A Okay ;)

Just sunbathing in the glory and awesomeness of your 79.5 pounds!!!!!!! :D:clapping:

The amazing Debbie! NO FILL with the 11CC band! Not the 4CC, not the 10CC but the 11CC band and no fill to date! 79.5 pounds gone in a little over 2 months! Seriously, you need to start doing some webinars!!! Julia Childs of banding on You Tube? New poster child for the OCC? Traveling with Dr. Ortiz to all his conferences? Appearing on Ellen? Bottle that secret ingrediant and sell it baby! Just throwing out some ideas I am dreaming up for the amazing Debbie who strikes again! The sky's the limit my friend!

I'm wondering what you all found to be the best liquids for the first few weeks.

Anyone have a great place to buy the optifast? Is that what it's called? I really like Slimfast so maybe I'll just stick to that?

3 days until our surgery, see you there and good luck.

Just sunbathing in the glory and awesomeness of your 79.5 pounds!!!!!!! :D:clapping:

The amazing Debbie! NO FILL with the 11CC band! Not the 4CC, not the 10CC but the 11CC band and no fill to date! 79.5 pounds gone in a little over 2 months! Seriously, you need to start doing some webinars!!! Julia Childs of banding on You Tube? New poster child for the OCC? Traveling with Dr. Ortiz to all his conferences? Appearing on Ellen? Bottle that secret ingrediant and sell it baby! Just throwing out some ideas I am dreaming up for the amazing Debbie who strikes again! The sky's the limit my friend!

Thanks everyone for all of the tips!!! I am being banded on January 11th. I'm so excited. I'm here researching everything I possibly need to know! And congratulations to everyone who has lost weight so far!! I can't wait to have this done. I know that it will not be easy for me but I am ready to look great, feel great, and be healthy!!

Oh my gosh I nearly peed my pants laughing while I read this. Thanks soooooooooooo much I really needed that laugh and inspiration. You are such an encourager and I really appreciate it. I truly hope I will be a statistic and make it to goal without having a fill. Wouldnt that me awesome!!!!

Thanks again

Debbie

Oh my gosh I nearly peed my pants laughing while I read this. Thanks soooooooooooo much I really needed that laugh and inspiration. You are such an encourager and I really appreciate it. I truly hope I will be a statistic and make it to goal without having a fill. Wouldnt that me awesome!!!!

Thanks again

Debbie

Miss RevyD is my hero!

Can I ask if there are brands here in Canada that you use( shakes or liquids of any kind...)? Some of the brands on the list I have never seen in Sobeys.

Miss RevyD is my hero!

Can I ask if there are brands here in Canada that you use( shakes or liquids of any kind...)? Some of the brands on the list I have never seen in Sobeys.

Hi Tangerine. I prefer to eat my protein verses drinking it. If you are talking about the liquid stage I just used Slimfast optimun. They have a royal fudge flavor that was amazing. Now that I am eating I just make sure that I eat my protein. At least 50 grams a day.

Hope that helps

Debbie

Thanks everyone for all of the tips!!! I am being banded on January 11th. I'm so excited. I'm here researching everything I possibly need to know! And congratulations to everyone who has lost weight so far!! I can't wait to have this done. I know that it will not be easy for me but I am ready to look great, feel great, and be healthy!!

Hi . I was just reading this post again and wanted to point something out. Yes I have lost 79.5 pounds but that is not all since I started my pre-op. My highest weight was 317 pounds and I lost 20 pounds prior to making the decision to be banded. Since I made the decision to be banded in September I have lost 60 pounds. Don't want to take any false credit. However I am still amazed and what I have lost since I was banded. Thanks for all the encouragement everyone. I love reading this forum and I get so much support and good advice that it really helps me to stay motivated and keep losing.

Debbie

EQUATE Ultra Chocolate shakes are not bad at all! They compare to the Slim-Fast Optima and since the Slimfast were taken off the shelf, this is a good alternative!

Hi . I was just reading this post again and wanted to point something out. Yes I have lost 79.5 pounds but that is not all since I started my pre-op. My highest weight was 317 pounds and I lost 20 pounds prior to making the decision to be banded. Since I made the decision to be banded in September I have lost 60 pounds. Don't want to take any false credit. However I am still amazed and what I have lost since I was banded. Thanks for all the encouragement everyone. I love reading this forum and I get so much support and good advice that it really helps me to stay motivated and keep losing.

Debbie

Debbie, Keep up the great work! I am doing my pre-op right now and must lose 15 pounds before I go in. I have started my diet today. I know I will feel better just making that first step and doing this dieting portion first. You have been outstanding. 79.5 pounds is WOW...amazing! Way to go! Hope to keep reading about your successes on here!

Hi,

Are you using the powder Slim Fast?? All can's have been recalled.

http://www.medifast1.com/

I'm doing it.. I have been doing the shakes and drinks. Nothing more since I am still on the liquid diet.

I found a Starbucks Chia Soy Latte to be soothing, and delicious. Still do.