Anyone else addicted to diet soda???

Okay, I'm sure I'm not the only one out here that is addicted to diet soda. The problem is gas since I had the lap band surgery. One time my gas pains were so bad and my doctor in the states has told me at least twice that I am probably one who just cannot drink soda. The problem is that I LOVE it number one, and also there isn't a whole lot else I like to drink. I don't like coffee or tee, I don't like lemonade. I have started to drink Propel flavored water since I get so bored with just water.

Anybody have any ideas or have the same issues? Thanks for the input. I have cut way back and usually only drink about 2 cans per day, but still quite a bit of gas.

SF powdered drink mixes (Crystal Light, Wyler's Light,

Lipton Iced Tea To Go)

Flavored water (Dasani Essence, Aquafina Flavorsplash,

Vitaminwater10)

Spring water

Trop50 orange juice beverage

SoBe Lean

Ocean Spray Diet

Diet V8 Splash

25-calorie packets of hot cocoa (Swiss Miss Diet, Nestle FF)

Minute Maid Fruit Falls or Just 10 Pouches

(SF=sugar free)(FF=fat free)

• Like 1

Totally addicted. If I didn't have soda one day I would get a migrain that lasted 3 days and I would feel like throwing up!! Since I got the band I have been doing coffee just to get my caffeine in. I don't ever want to go back to soda again.

Okay, I'm sure I'm not the only one out here that is addicted to diet soda. The problem is gas since I had the lap band surgery. One time my gas pains were so bad and my doctor in the states has told me at least twice that I am probably one who just cannot drink soda. The problem is that I LOVE it number one, and also there isn't a whole lot else I like to drink. I don't like coffee or tee, I don't like lemonade. I have started to drink Propel flavored water since I get so bored with just water.

Anybody have any ideas or have the same issues? Thanks for the input. I have cut way back and usually only drink about 2 cans per day, but still quite a bit of gas.

The following paragragh was from a news letter published by Dr. Watkins, a Chicago Lap Band surgeon.

Carbonation causes gas to build up in our pouches (the stomach above the band) and puts a lot of pressure on the area. With repetition, this could eventually cause a dilated pouch, which with-out care, could result in re-operation of the band. Also, once carbonation passes the band stoma, it causes a lot of gas and discomfort that is not easily relieved naturally. In order to protect your pouch and your band, do not drink carbonation!

This is what he tells his patients, it seems to be good advice.

• Like 1

I can totally relate. I love anything carbonated, but my personal favorite is diet Ginger Ale. I can drink a truck load of it. I just got banded on the 15th, and I was so worried about stretching my pouch that I filled my fridge with Vitamin Water, juices and ice tea. I was worried that I wouldn't be able to take the lack of carbonation after surgery, but I actually surprised myself. I really enjoy the Vitamin Water and I found it more refreshing then the diet soda. Before surgery I was wondering if I could hold out 6 months before having a pop, but now I think I actually broke the habit. The trick is definitely to find something else you like to drink, I would recommend experimenting with anything new that you see in the stores. You might finally find a replacement that is just as enjoyable.

Now the only thing I'm worried about is being able to have the occasional glass of sparkling wine during special occasions!

UGH. The diet pepsi addiction ....

I've had to cut it out of my 'routine'.

Not even the occasional sip.

Now that I'm at the tension I am with my band, it just comes right back up with the fizz ... it even causes a bit of discomfort.

I've stopped buying it, and now just drink Crystal Light - Peach Iced Tea with a slice of fresh lemon in the glass.

It's the only thing that's kept me away from the forbidden fruit, of diet pop!

I was addicted to diet sodas for years before my surgery. My favorite was Diet Cherry Coke. In March last year when they gave me the go ahead for surgery, I weaned myself off of them completely. First by letting myself have 2 sodas a week and then down to 1 and then none after April 24th. So by the time I had surgery it wasn't even a thought in my mind.

This summer in August I accidentally took a small sip of my sons rootbeer, it was in the back seat pocket of my Dad's car and next to my water and it was horrible tasting. Luckily it did not give me gas pains, probably because I only had a very small sip, but it tasted HORRIBLE.

I thought I was going to have a really hard time giving up my diet coke, but I realized that I was mainly drinking it to fill me up when I was hungry and to give me a caffeine boost. Poweraid zero has been my replacement drink. It might help to figure out why you want to have that and then find a replacement. For example, if you like the sweetness, you could try getting some flavored splenda packets or Torani syrup and adding those to different beverages until you find something that satisfies you. What I think has really helped all my cravings is taking my vitamins every day and making sure I get enough sleep at night. I take a sublingual b-12 tab every morning and I think that helps too. And whenever I need a caffeine pick me up in the afternoon I get some exercise - go figure.:D

Margie

I only drank one pop a day, but it was important to me. Every morning, first thing, I had a diet Vanilla Pepsi. Just one, but I loved it and looked forward to it.

The last one I had was the day I got on the plane for TJ and I haven't had one since. It hasn't bothered me much. I also replaced it as the others did, and I've replaced it with G2 gatorade (25 calories) and Special K protein water (thank you, Amy!) Both satisfy me. I thought I'd miss the caffeine, but I haven't.

What doolittle posted is my understanding as well--anything carbonated can cause damage to the band.

I'm one of those strange cases...

I woke up out of surgery, didn't even feel the need for coffee, and had no desire for caffeine for an entire year.....I've tested the waters since, and carbonated beverages don't bother me at all.

Wow, thanks for all the input. I, like someone else that posted, if I don't have the caffeine get a migraine as well so that is why I've dropped way back and not eliminated it. I guess this week it will be my plan to slowly eliminate it. I didn't realize, other than the gas, that it could have such a negataive impact on the band itself so all the more reason to stay away. I did think about trying to get into coffee instead for the caffeine in the morning, but just can't get into that. I do love the taste and maybe the carbonation as well, not sure. So thanks all of you and wish me luck on my week trying to get off this horrible drug!!!!!

Since being banded last April, I've drank a few fake beers. Slowly.....had not a bit of trouble. I suppose it all depends. I don't mind having one here and there. I don't want to get in the habit of being a total diet coke whore again. I was so hooked on that stuff and now that I am free, I want to remember and stay free.

I drink a crap ton of vitamin water. Some propell or how ever it's spelled.....

Since being banded last April, I've drank a few fake beers. Slowly.....had not a bit of trouble. I suppose it all depends. I don't mind having one here and there. I don't want to get in the habit of being a total diet coke whore again. I was so hooked on that stuff and now that I am free, I want to remember and stay free.

I drink a crap ton of vitamin water. Some propell or how ever it's spelled.....

Also, a well known fact, diet pop with the artificial sweetners can increase your appetite.

Wow, thanks for all the input. I, like someone else that posted, if I don't have the caffeine get a migraine as well so that is why I've dropped way back and not eliminated it. I guess this week it will be my plan to slowly eliminate it. I didn't realize, other than the gas, that it could have such a negataive impact on the band itself so all the more reason to stay away. I did think about trying to get into coffee instead for the caffeine in the morning, but just can't get into that. I do love the taste and maybe the carbonation as well, not sure. So thanks all of you and wish me luck on my week trying to get off this horrible drug!!!!!

Hey Zoey, if it is purely a caffeine/taste thing then you can try drinking it flat just to get you going in the morning. Or try a Starbucks bottled Frappacchino? Or caffeinated hot/cold tea? If you opt to choose a caffeinated hot tea I highly recommend the Bigelow Vanilla Chai tea bags. I discovered these babies at work before they stopped stocking them and have bought them from the market ever since.

I too was a diet coke whore before being banded. I replaced my addiction with water flavored with crystal light on the go (this too has the artificial sweeteners so I guess Im screwed as far as the appitite thing is concerned). But I noticed that I am a carbonation whore period. I noticed myself eye balling the Perrier, Sugar Free Red Bull, Diet Coke, and Hansen's Natural Sodas they keep stocked in the fridge at work as I grudgingly grab a bottle of Arrowhead water and a pack of crystal light. It so sucks! But since I have yet to have band restriction I am very proud of myself for cutting carbonated beverages and fast food out of my diet. If nothing else, that is what has helped me with the intitial weight lose. Small changes like that (they can seem big) go a long way.

So today is my first day to try and eliminate this terrible drug from my system. I have already cut way back, but as of today my goal is elimination!!!!!! So starting today, probably for a few days, I will TRY really hard to just have one can of Diet Cherry Pepsi. After a few days of having one, I will have one-half, then down to every other day, etc.

Wish me luck!!! I've been addicted to this stuff for a very long time. I guess given that information, I should expect to be off it overnight. I have high hopes though. I am going to get some Crystal Light today and try that along with my propel. I also will start making a smoothie everyday as well. Hope it works!