Eating too soon post-op

Hi All,

I had the surgery a week ago today, and I did great the first 5 days not eating anything but broth, now I am really hungry all the time and all i can think about is food...maybe i just have too much time on my hands and I am bored, but seriously!! I have to say, I cheated...I ate a few shrimp and a cookie, chewed them up really really well and now I feel terrible. Did anyone else blow it like me? Risk flushing their 6 grand down the toilet and ruining their chances of losing weight? I am really scared. I feel fine but ??? I have NO SELF CONTROL! This is bad...

So, please let me know if I will be ok, if you know...

Also, the only person who knows about my surgery is my husband who is not supportive, doesn't want to talk about it )I went to Mex alone) and sure doesn't want to hear me complain about it. So I am really looking forward to making some new friends. :)

Thanks!

Storm

Do not blow the money you spent on this or the exciting new future that awaits you. Do not prove your husband correct either. What happened happened, put it in the past and don't do it again. It sounds like you need to get some protein in even though it appears you are still in the liquid stage. I would suggest K2O protein water by Kellogg's. On another site someone mention Nectar protein powder that mixes up like a lemonade. Don't stick with just broth, there are other things allowed on the liquid diet that will keep you from getting bored with one taste such as apple juice or white grape juice and all the mixes that you can add to a bottle of water. Mix things up and that in additon to the protein should help you stay with it until you can have normal food again. You are worth this!

In the diet stage, you simply CANNOT eat solid food. SO, don't do this again... if you are on day 5 you can have drinkable yogurt now, get some of these, they will be a life saver for you, NO CHUNKS! Just follow your chart and switch to the next food when allowed. Protein shakes start day 6 so you can start those tomorrow. It is not an option to cheat, your stomach is healing and if you put real food in there, then it will be churning around and the band may not heal in place correctly. This means it could slip down the road, you won't notice it now, you will notice it later when you stop losing weight.

This is very important. Think about the goal here, you are trying to lose weight, so why not follow the rules and get the most out of this?

I am on Day 11 of my liquid diet. No, it hasn't been fun, IT HAS SUCKED. But, that is the reality of this phase, and you just have to get through it, sometimes being miserable. Like smiley said, get some variety in there.

im still pre-op but I was really worrying about me not having the self control either. It really helped me to watch some of the videos on you tube that dr.ortiz posted regarding why were are on a 21 day liquid diet and how to progress through this diet, how mentally to get through it.

You should check out the videos and hopefully can regain your center and get back on track. I'm on my pre-op diet and haven't been doing very good at all myself. I had a post that was discussing how to stay on pre-op and some offered some good advice - like chewing gum (dont know if you can do this after the band). try to get out of your regular routine for the last bit of your liquid phase.

I know you say you're husband isn't supportive, but will he take over cooking the meals until you're off liquids?

Storm,

Some times men in general feel insecure when they think their wife will "change"...Most men like the same things, maybe his not liking your band idea is because he doesn't understand what it will do for you, thus in turn do for him...I sure have noticed, as i SHRINK, my hubby is more happy..if you get my drift...lol If he was to really think about it, it's a win win situation. Perhaps he can talk to my hubby one day!

Now don't beat yourself up for the slip ups... :angry: Just try to cont with the liquid phase. So your on week two, you should be able to add a few more things. It has been a while since I was where you are and I don't remember exactually what you get to drink on week two! But keep looking at this board because there is a lot of useful, helpful info to get you to where you want to be....Plus you can always call, or e-mail Miranda...

Were all here for you!

Kim :rolleyes:

It helps if you just avoid meal time . Do NOT join your family during meal times. Enter the Kitchen as little as possible ! I just finished my 21 days of liquid diet and honestly I really got used to it and did not have a hunger feeling at all after the 1st week. Avoid the situation, is my best solution for you. Wishing you WILLPOWER !! Take care

Hi All,

I had the surgery a week ago today, and I did great the first 5 days not eating anything but broth, now I am really hungry all the time and all i can think about is food...maybe i just have too much time on my hands and I am bored, but seriously!! I have to say, I cheated...I ate a few shrimp and a cookie, chewed them up really really well and now I feel terrible. Did anyone else blow it like me? Risk flushing their 6 grand down the toilet and ruining their chances of losing weight? I am really scared. I feel fine but ??? I have NO SELF CONTROL! This is bad...

So, please let me know if I will be ok, if you know...

Also, the only person who knows about my surgery is my husband who is not supportive, doesn't want to talk about it )I went to Mex alone) and sure doesn't want to hear me complain about it. So I am really looking forward to making some new friends.

Thanks!

Storm

I think I met you the morning of your surgery. The driver took you back to the Lucerna to pick up your stuff and then took me back to the Marriott. I remember you saying your husband wasn't supportive - although mine is being fairly supportive - he still made the off hand comment that once I dropped the weight, I would drop him. I know he was only joking but I'm sure it's in the back of his head for him to say it. My point is, maybe your husband has the same fear.

I'm on day 9 and added creamy soups yesterday and protein shakes a couple of days ago. I just couldn't take it anymore! I think the worst for me was the day we came home and all the food places/smells at the airport! BTW, I emailed Dr. Miranda yesterday and she cleared me for all liquids - just NO chunks and since you're only a day behind me, you should be now too. laugh.gif

Storm,

Some times men in general feel insecure when they think their wife will "change"...Most men like the same things, maybe his not liking your band idea is because he doesn't understand what it will do for you, thus in turn do for him...I sure have noticed, as i SHRINK, my hubby is more happy..if you get my drift...lol If he was to really think about it, it's a win win situation. Perhaps he can talk to my hubby one day!

Now don't beat yourself up for the slip ups... :angry: Just try to cont with the liquid phase. So your on week two, you should be able to add a few more things. It has been a while since I was where you are and I don't remember exactually what you get to drink on week two! But keep looking at this board because there is a lot of useful, helpful info to get you to where you want to be....Plus you can always call, or e-mail Miranda...

Were all here for you!

Kim :rolleyes:

THANKS everyone!! I am going to try harder...staying out of the kitchen is a good idea. Last night the kids were gone and I couldn't bring myself to fix dinner for my hubbie...I was so exhausted and hungry...so instead of fixing himself something, he just went to bed...I know he's trying to make me feel guilty...but I really did feel bad. I made myself some veggie broth/soup with my juicer today, hopefully this helps. I really don't like protein shakes BLAH. I will get some tonight and see if that helps. I had some plain yogurt this morning...yuck. I've been eating the same thing for breakfast every day for 2 years...eggs and spinach...and I am having SUCH BAD CRAVINGS for that!!!...so this just feels wrong. 13 days to gooooo! Funny, I really don't like ice cream and I was craving it so bad last night!

I think I met you the morning of your surgery. The driver took you back to the Lucerna to pick up your stuff and then took me back to the Marriott. I remember you saying your husband wasn't supportive - although mine is being fairly supportive - he still made the off hand comment that once I dropped the weight, I would drop him. I know he was only joking but I'm sure it's in the back of his head for him to say it. My point is, maybe your husband has the same fear.

I'm on day 9 and added creamy soups yesterday and protein shakes a couple of days ago. I just couldn't take it anymore! I think the worst for me was the day we came home and all the food places/smells at the airport! BTW, I emailed Dr. Miranda yesterday and she cleared me for all liquids - just NO chunks and since you're only a day behind me, you should be now too. laugh.gif

Hiii...yes, I did meet you in the van! Thanks for writing!! I think you're right about my husband...he will get over it...as long as I don't talk about it. Since the kids don't know, and my folks are both in the medical field and I can't tell them or they would flip, and my BFF is far far away...I am just feeling so isolated! How was your trip down to Ensenada? I was so sick on the train ride home, threw up twice...I don't know how you were able to get around so quickly!

Do you feel awful physically or mentally? Did it hurt? Or did you just feel guilty?

It's a mind game right now for sure. Just don't do it again. Drink as much broth as you want. Really go for the drinkable yogurts. Stay out of the kitchen. I bet your husband won't be happy about that either, but it's not worth the risk.

I think it is sad how your husband is acting. If it were me, I would sit down and have a talk with him and really let him know how it is making you feel. Being married means being there for the other person and supporting them. If he cannot support you in this, then I think it will become a real issue.

Hiii...yes, I did meet you in the van! Thanks for writing!! I think you're right about my husband...he will get over it...as long as I don't talk about it. Since the kids don't know, and my folks are both in the medical field and I can't tell them or they would flip, and my BFF is far far away...I am just feeling so isolated! How was your trip down to Ensenada? I was so sick on the train ride home, threw up twice...I don't know how you were able to get around so quickly!

We ended up going to Rosarita and on Revolution Ave. in TJ the day after surgery - my best day. I probably over did it a little. My mom and I had a great time though. The next day was kind of a bust because they wanted like $150 to drive us to San Diego and back, so we just went to the mall in TJ and didn't see anything worth the trip - except for my gatorade. Well, I PAID for it the next morning, woke up at 3am sick and ended up throwing up as we were getting ready for the airport. Other than that I've been fine. I'm barely even still sore.

STORM

2/25/10 Surgery weight- 178

3/4/10- 169 and HUNGRY

Okay...here is my take on what is going on w/ hubby. You are a low BMIer to begin with I think. I am not sure how tall you are but a starting weight of 178 is great. I have a feeling your husband thought you looked great to begin with and cannot justify the financial aspect of it in terms of your physical appearence to begin with. In general, the men that know that I have had the surgery all had the same response: "You don't need it. Your not fat, just work out and eat healthy." This includes the teller at my bank. Maybe your husband is looking at you thinking the same thing. Like Dr. Ortiz says "Men are Simple."

I also live in Southern California and took the train down for my surgery. We are about the same weight now too. You have already lost 9 pounds and that is phenomenal!!! it took me like 3 weeks to loose 9 pounds! You are doing great and PM me if you want some tips and tricks. Maybe we can get together soon and I can be your personal shoper :lol:

why don't you treat yourself to a nice tastee protein smoothie. That might give you the flavor your craving, some added protein. You could even have them put some fiber in it for you. Try not to get one made with ice cream though too many calories.

Keep going you can do it!

THANKS everyone!! I am going to try harder...staying out of the kitchen is a good idea. Last night the kids were gone and I couldn't bring myself to fix dinner for my hubbie...I was so exhausted and hungry...so instead of fixing himself something, he just went to bed...I know he's trying to make me feel guilty...but I really did feel bad. I made myself some veggie broth/soup with my juicer today, hopefully this helps. I really don't like protein shakes BLAH. I will get some tonight and see if that helps. I had some plain yogurt this morning...yuck. I've been eating the same thing for breakfast every day for 2 years...eggs and spinach...and I am having SUCH BAD CRAVINGS for that!!!...so this just feels wrong. 13 days to gooooo! Funny, I really don't like ice cream and I was craving it so bad last night!

I feel your heart ache. My boyfriend (who i live with) isn't very supportive either. Or, at least, he wasn't.

Now that it's almost been a year, he knows as much about the band as I do, and I'm amazed at his support.

Who knows ... your husband may gain a new respect for it, too. ;)

As for self control. I have very little in the evenings, so I've come to the conclusion, that if i don't buy it, i can't eat it.

It's as simple as grocery shopping healthy, and everyone else will follow in suit.

That includes your children. You shouldn't have crap in the house. So ... It's a good thing all 'round.

Don't buy what you can't eat. Then it's not avail. :)

I feel your heart ache. My boyfriend (who i live with) isn't very supportive either. Or, at least, he wasn't.

Now that it's almost been a year, he knows as much about the band as I do, and I'm amazed at his support.

Who knows ... your husband may gain a new respect for it, too. ;)

As for self control. I have very little in the evenings, so I've come to the conclusion, that if i don't buy it, i can't eat it.

It's as simple as grocery shopping healthy, and everyone else will follow in suit.

That includes your children. You shouldn't have crap in the house. So ... It's a good thing all 'round.

Don't buy what you can't eat. Then it's not avail. :)

Wow you guys are all so awesome!! I am going to have a protein shake TONIGHT...or soup...yuk...I have been using my juicer like crazy, veggie broths, fruit juices...straining them...now I am ready for something else!! hehehe....OK, you guys convinced me...liquids only...I couldn't do it without you. And you're right about my husband, when I start losing weight, his curiosity will get the best of him and he will eventually like it...if he doesn't, oh well...there are plenty of things I don't like about him! So it's ok! We still love each other...I have learned over the years not to depend on him too much for emotional support...that's what my friends are for. Unfortunately, most of my friends have big mouths or wouldn't understand...so guess what? YOU GUYS ARE MY NEW BFF'S!!!!

Do you feel awful physically or mentally? Did it hurt? Or did you just feel guilty?

It's a mind game right now for sure. Just don't do it again. Drink as much broth as you want. Really go for the drinkable yogurts. Stay out of the kitchen. I bet your husband won't be happy about that either, but it's not worth the risk.

Just mentally, DEFEATED...and scared that I really screwed up my band. Physically everything is fine except I'm low on energy but better today than yesterday thanks to my SUPER VEGGIE SOUP! (DOn't do it, it's yucky!- Spinach, parnips, carrots, cabbage and celery...all in the juicer and strained. It's UGLY and tastes like dirt. But I sent 55 emails for work this afternoon sooo....)

I sooo remember what you are going through. The best advice I can give is to mix it up as much as you can. There is a recipe section on here and really play around with spices too. Nothing like a little garlic powder in some tomato soup or tobasco sauce in some cheddar cheese soup! Get creative!

The first probably 5 days after surgery I just wasn't hungry and had to force myself to drink, but then after that I started to heal and the head hunger really kicked in. That and I think I just missed the act of chewing. But I promise you, once you hit day 22 you will feel like you can take on the world!!!! I have zero willpower and I did it so if I can do it anyone can.

Another tip is to keep as busy as you can. Head hunger is a real B, but if you can keep yourself busy and active it helps. I would go on walks, do things around the house and whatever I could do to make time go by faster.

Good luck and always know you can come here to vent!! Many of us have been there and done that!!