thinking about lapband surgery

Hello,

I am a newbie to this forum, this is my first entry. I am considering having the lapband surgery and I cannot say I am without fear and reservation. I have battled my weight for far too long and I'm not getting any younger. Part of my fear is failure. What if it doesn't work for me, what if I have terrible complications, how will I cope with having a Dr in another country when I need to see him???? So many questions.

The OCC comes highly recommended by a friend who has the lapband herself. She has nothing but praise for the OCC.

I guess my first step is to contact the OCC....wish me luck

Feather

Hello,

I am a newbie to this forum, this is my first entry. I am considering having the lapband surgery and I cannot say I am without fear and reservation. I have battled my weight for far too long and I'm not getting any younger. Part of my fear is failure. What if it doesn't work for me, what if I have terrible complications, how will I cope with having a Dr in another country when I need to see him???? So many questions.

The OCC comes highly recommended by a friend who has the lapband herself. She has nothing but praise for the OCC.

I guess my first step is to contact the OCC....wish me luck

Feather

I agree with the OCC issue-they're pretty awesome. Have you looked into the sleeve or plication? I'm having my band removed at the end of the month, it was a great tool for the first year, until it got too tight. Hasn't been the same since, and now have a slip. And regained 30 lbs. Don't get me wrong, some people don't have complications and are successful, but I really wish the OCC had offered the plication procedure in '08. I probably would have gone with it. I have spent a couple grand in fills and un-fills over the last 2.7 years. I do know that my band isn't used down there anymore--it has a high rate for slips. But, you may want to check out some other options. Good Luck!

Hi Feather,

I was banded in May of 09. I love it. In most of the 1st year with mine, I worked hard at the gym with a Trainer and went from 238 to 130 by March.

Then last year in the end of April, I was in a pretty bad car accident that has not let me return to the gym. I still eat all my proteins first and watch the my intakes, but I have been able to maintain for the most part. In October, I did get another fill to help maintain, but so far so good.

(My goal now is to get back into the gym and tone up again. Soon though, they are going to be sending me back through Physical Therapy once more and hopefully after that, I will be able to get back and on track.)

My mom was banded in April 2010, and she has done very well overall. She has gone from a 22w/24w to a 14w. She has Rheumatoid Arthritis and hadn't/hasn't worked out yet, but was still able to lose quite a bit. And the weight-loss has been helping with less flare ups, which is great.

Good luck. Keep us updated.

Kristi

• 2 weeks later...

Absolutely the best decision I have ever made was going to OCC and getting my band. Just remember that it's a tool. It isn't the magic solution to all your problems. There are ways to cheat the band and sneak stuff past it. You have to be completely committed to change all your eating habits. To eat the foods that your body needs to nourish it and not eat the crap that got you to your current weight. I got my band in July 2010. I have lost 62 lbs since then. Would have been more but I have been so busy since December that finding time to exercise on a regular basis has proved difficult. I have 38 more to loose and I know I can do it.

I've had NO regrets.

I just marked by 2 year point, so I've seen a lot of info pass through this forum.

I've only seen failure due to poor personal decisions, not anything related to the band.

;)

Not all failure is due to "poor personal decisions." Sometimes there are technical failures, too.

• 1 month later...

No regrets with the location or the band... I would be lying if I said I wasn't scared to death going to Mexico by myself, but I was in great hands! Got through everything just fine, now learning that there is more to this than just a band telling you not to eat... you have to have a new mind set, a complete change in your life... If I said this was magic, or a miracle that would also be a lie!

It's hard work, for a long time I just ate and got sick.. I could NOT put food down. I ate out of control for 30 years this little band was not going to stop me, the food was good. I had a very hard time leaving food on my plate.. I don't know why, just couldn't do it. Now, it doesn't bother me, but I've been banded since last August and it's been a battle between brains and band... brain is smart and is finally making the right choices and I'm using the tool as just that, a TOOL! It's wonderful! Just know there is so much more to it!