After Surgery-Before Fill

Apple Blossom

I got my "full" diet back officially as of July 30. I did a bit of a mushy stage that was not in my instructions from Dr. Miranda. I struggle with food. I feel that scrambled eggs, peanut butter, runny oatmeal and the like saved me from tossing in the towel and eating way off plan before I got to the solid stage. I'm not proud of myself, but that's what I did.

The band obviuosly doesn't cure my addiction. I didn't expect it to. I also struggle with an all or nothing mind set when I diet.

Right now, I am really concerned about the next 2 1/2 weeks until my fill. I feel like I am one of the few who has an appetitie that is equal to my pre op appetite. I feel compelled to eat lots of foods I've missed that are not healthy. I know I don't need them but the urge is there. I am already questioning whether or not I will be successful, but I am still optimistic.

I know the band is there and I know it is in place. I was shopping last week and got tomato soup at Target's food court. It came with a bread stick....a very soft bread stick that I did not resist. I got a piece stuck and learned the feeling........... PAINFUL. Sliming....it was more like foaming from the mouth and nose along with the mucus in my throat. It was an awful experience, that's for sure. I almost did it again this evening and I realized the coincidence. I need to really pay attention when carrying on conversation while eating. I tend to swallow quickly if I want to talk and that's what triggered the bread episode and the near episode tonight.

In getting to the point, my appetite is in full swing. I haven't found anything I can't eat. I chew well and things go right down. I am hungry. Yes I have huge head hunger but I also have real hunger when my stomach growls.

I find very few messages refering to this period and the struggle. I feel so alone. I wonder if I am alone or people don't talk about it. My will power needs practice and I already have a 2 pound gain since switching to solids. I am afraid of this pattern. Can anyone else share their experience with this period between full foods with no fill up to their first fill?

Thank you!

Judy

Judy,

Believe me, you are not alone. This period is often referred to as Bandster Hell...You have no real restriction and yet you feel you shouldn't eat..Don't be too hard on yourself. Many many many people gain back all of their pre-op weight loss during this period. I didn't, but only because I weighed and measured everything that went into my mouth. Please don't be to hard on yourself, your band is in place, but it hasn't been "activated" yet. Depending on which band you have, it could take 1 or several fills to reach a good level of restriction. Once you find that, you will lose weight. Don't put too much emphasis on weight loss at this stage of the game. Of course you will always have to deal with the emotional issues that caused you to become overweight to begin ith, but your band will be there to help you when you slip. Please don't distress..I know you feel very impatient now for the band to work, but you must be patient and NEVER give up. Take care and let me know how you are doing. Keep smilin' Nita ><'

Apple Blossom, like Nita said "You are not alone". I'm still supposed to be on liquids for 5 more days and I am wondering if I should just stay on them because I'm so afraid of what I might convince myself "Oh it'll be OK to have some of this or that" and then just slip back into the old habits. After all that's why we are all here getting this surgery, we lack control otherwise. I have read several posts from people who say white bread is not something they are able to eat anymore due to exactly the same thing that happened to you. And you know, white bread has almost no nutritional value anyway. I am going to try really hard to only put things in my mouth that are really good for me. I was watching a program on TV last week or so about a man who is very conscious about what he eats, he's very healthy and so is his whole family. He said when he thinks about eating junk food he says to himself "That door is closed". He is a married man and he says when he sees an attractive women he says the same thing to himself "That door is closed." It all made sense, I may try it, he said nothing goes in his mouth if it is not nutrient rich. It's going to take a lot of inner strength I know. I have been making lots of fresh cream soups (the "cream" involved is soy milk and it's really fine in my soups, I've never tried it just by itself. But I get fresh vegetables (from the farmers market when possible) like tomotoes, onions, brocolli, cauliflower, asparagus, green peppers, jalapenoes, etc and I make these different soup combinations then put them in the blender with soy milk and seasonings. I have been really happy with the results and may just try eating the same thing just without the blender so much. I do know that I am craving a steak and the first day back to solids I want scrambled eggs in the AM and a really tender piece of steak for dinner, don't even want anything else with it !! Keep up the faith Apple Blossom. Pam

I got my "full" diet back officially as of July 30. I did a bit of a mushy stage that was not in my instructions from Dr. Miranda. I struggle with food. I feel that scrambled eggs, peanut butter, runny oatmeal and the like saved me from tossing in the towel and eating way off plan before I got to the solid stage. I'm not proud of myself, but that's what I did.

The band obviuosly doesn't cure my addiction. I didn't expect it to. I also struggle with an all or nothing mind set when I diet.

Right now, I am really concerned about the next 2 1/2 weeks until my fill. I feel like I am one of the few who has an appetitie that is equal to my pre op appetite. I feel compelled to eat lots of foods I've missed that are not healthy. I know I don't need them but the urge is there. I am already questioning whether or not I will be successful, but I am still optimistic.

I know the band is there and I know it is in place. I was shopping last week and got tomato soup at Target's food court. It came with a bread stick....a very soft bread stick that I did not resist. I got a piece stuck and learned the feeling........... PAINFUL. Sliming....it was more like foaming from the mouth and nose along with the mucus in my throat. It was an awful experience, that's for sure. I almost did it again this evening and I realized the coincidence. I need to really pay attention when carrying on conversation while eating. I tend to swallow quickly if I want to talk and that's what triggered the bread episode and the near episode tonight.

In getting to the point, my appetite is in full swing. I haven't found anything I can't eat. I chew well and things go right down. I am hungry. Yes I have huge head hunger but I also have real hunger when my stomach growls.

I find very few messages refering to this period and the struggle. I feel so alone. I wonder if I am alone or people don't talk about it. My will power needs practice and I already have a 2 pound gain since switching to solids. I am afraid of this pattern. Can anyone else share their experience with this period between full foods with no fill up to their first fill?

Thank you!

Judy

Apple Blossom,

I am right there with you. I can and have eaten all kinds of food, I was so discourged I called Dr. Ortiz Thursday evening, He chewed me out and reminded me of why I am to be on liquids for 3 weeks. I do not want my band to slip, and I have spent way to much money on this to just blow it off. I'm back to just protien shakes and soup. I have maintained the same weight I was when I returned home. I can hardly wait to get filled. My tummy is still sore where the port is so I know I still need to heal on the inside. We can do this! hang in there.

Renee

Hello All,

I just had my surgery Wednesday (8/1) and went to sleep last night to the sound of my stomach growling. It was not a pleasant feeling, but I have been good and am sticking to the liquids. I am just afraid that it is going to be a VERY long two weeks!!! I am trying to keep my end goal in sight, but it was nice to do a google search and find this forum where others are facing similar issues!

Hey!

I had my surgery on 7/18 and I've been eating 'real' food for over a week. I was dying taking in only liquids. I know why it's called bandster hell. I spent the 4th day after my surgery crying and depressed because I missed food. I felt worthless. I'm trying so hard to be good and pay attention to the food I'm eating (quantity and quality). I'm also using the usda food pyramid site to track calories. On a bad day, I can eat 3000 calories, but I try really hard to keep it at 1000 or below. It's so incredibly hard!

My first fill is on 8/31. I was thinking about calling my doctor and begging for a fill earlier but after reading some of your posts, I realize I'm still sore and still healing, so I must go back to being patient.

Reading advice from you guys helped a lot. It's good to know that what I'm going through is normal and I'm not the only one out there.

Whenever I have a question, I can type it in google and I usually find the very same question has been asked by someone else. That's comforting. Anyway, just wanted to join this site, say hello and thanks for the advice. :-h

hi everybody i just had my surgery on july 26 and the hadrdest part so far has been sitting around and watching everbody around me eating. up until i logged on to this website i was lost and ready to somewhat cheat. i really dont know whay i would have done had i not found this forum and was able to read what other people have gone thru just like i have. right now my main focus is doing what i have to do to achieve the goal yhat i set for myself before i had the surgery. its hard but this is what i chose for myself. i am going to try my best not to,let it get the best of me,but instead get the bets of it. i really appreciate this forum. my weight b4 the surgery was 322 two days b4 the surgery i was at 301 and a week after the surgery i am 297. i know i couldnt have done this without the surgery and i simply refuse to quit now. thanks everbody talk to you soon

Hey!

I had my surgery on 7/18 and I've been eating 'real' food for over a week. I was dying taking in only liquids. I know why it's called bandster hell. I spent the 4th day after my surgery crying and depressed because I missed food. I felt worthless. I'm trying so hard to be good and pay attention to the food I'm eating (quantity and quality). I'm also using the usda food pyramid site to track calories. On a bad day, I can eat 3000 calories, but I try really hard to keep it at 1000 or below. It's so incredibly hard!

My first fill is on 8/31. I was thinking about calling my doctor and begging for a fill earlier but after reading some of your posts, I realize I'm still sore and still healing, so I must go back to being patient.

Reading advice from you guys helped a lot. It's good to know that what I'm going through is normal and I'm not the only one out there.

Whenever I have a question, I can type it in google and I usually find the very same question has been asked by someone else. That's comforting. Anyway, just wanted to join this site, say hello and thanks for the advice. :-h

Bandita, where did you have your surgery, I had mine on the same day as you with Dr.Ortiz. I'm glad you are planning to use this forum for some help, it is so good to have other people to communicate with that are going through the same issues. Hang in there. Pam

hi everybody i just had my surgery on july 26 and the hadrdest part so far has been sitting around and watching everbody around me eating. up until i logged on to this website i was lost and ready to somewhat cheat. i really dont know whay i would have done had i not found this forum and was able to read what other people have gone thru just like i have. right now my main focus is doing what i have to do to achieve the goal yhat i set for myself before i had the surgery. its hard but this is what i chose for myself. i am going to try my best not to,let it get the best of me,but instead get the bets of it. i really appreciate this forum. my weight b4 the surgery was 322 two days b4 the surgery i was at 301 and a week after the surgery i am 297. i know i couldnt have done this without the surgery and i simply refuse to quit now. thanks everbody talk to you soon

Diamonds, I posted a long reply to your question about the soup. I'm so happy you are doing so well with your weightloss, isn't this great ??

Bandita, where did you have your surgery, I had mine on the same day as you with Dr.Ortiz. I'm glad you are planning to use this forum for some help, it is so good to have other people to communicate with that are going through the same issues. Hang in there. Pam

Hi, Pam

I'm in Raleigh, NC, so Dr. Moran did my surgery. I had it done at Rex Hospital. Thanks for the warm welcome!

Hi, Pam

I'm in Raleigh, NC, so Dr. Moran did my surgery. I had it done at Rex Hospital. Thanks for the warm welcome!

HELLO. I AM IN HICKORY, NC. ARE YOU GOING TO MX TO GET YOUR FILLS OR HAVE YOU FOUND SOMEONE IN NC TO DO IT??? ANYBODY ELSE OUT THERE FROM NORTH CAROLINA???

HELLO. I AM IN HICKORY, NC. ARE YOU GOING TO MX TO GET YOUR FILLS OR HAVE YOU FOUND SOMEONE IN NC TO DO IT??? ANYBODY ELSE OUT THERE FROM NORTH CAROLINA???

Hi!

I'm getting my fills done locally. My dr. is here in Raleigh, fortunately only about 10 minutes from where I work. I don't know if he'll do fills on patients that had their surgery done by someone else, but it might be worth checking on.

Nice to meet you, Bamaslady!

Hey Everyone my name is Tom im 23 and was banded on 17 July 2007 :)

I will start with saying i understand and sympathize with what everyone is saying. I started solid foods on Monday 8/6/07 after being on a liquid diet for a total of 2 months. While i didn't find the liquid diet to be too difficult to handle i did find that watching everyone eat, things like pizza and fried chicken was a horrible time for me. About a week ago i tried to cheat with a piece of bread and some sloppy joe which was a horrible choice as it lead to some good pain and my first experience with PB'ing it wasn't worth it :). So i just stuck with the liquid diet until the time the doctors said. In the 2 day's since i've had a grilled chicken sandwhich, 1 scrambled egg, half a green salad all of which went down fine but i had 4 forks of rice and instantly afterwards the pain came and PB'ing again. I was shocked that i could eat these other things and yet rice caused a pb'ing episode.

Anyways im happy with my results so far and the way it has made me feel, im thinking of going back to school for the first time in the 5 years since i finished high school, im looking for a job and i've started talking to a girl that likes me, a shock for me as i was starting to think i was going to be alone and feeling horrible for the rest of my life. Things are on the up and i feel that the band has really turned things around for me.

Love to all my fellow bandsters, keep strong!

Tom, that is so awesome that you are feeling good about yourself and your future, and now a possible sweetie too eh ?? !!!! I was banded the day after you, 7/18 and am also feeling really good about the whole thing. I'm a lot older than you, 52, and I was beginning to feel like my life was going to just go on the gradual decline into old age and felt almost helpless about it. Now I am feeling 10 years younger !!!

I had my first real episode with food this morning. I tried to eat some 100% whole wheat toast. I had heard people say that white bread got stuck so I though maybe whole wheat would be fine - WRONG !!! OMG that hurt, it was stuck for about 10 solid minutes and I also found out what the term "sliming" means. I didn't want to throw up because I am so afraid of band slippage. Didn't want to try to drink anything to wash it down because I was afraid I'd start choking. I was feeling so sorry for myself for a while because I was starving !! So, I guess no bread for me at all, and from what you mentioned maybe no rice either, not sure about pasta but could be scary to try it. I then made some black bean chili, nice and spicy which doesn't bother me at all. That went down really well. I guess it's just trial and error. Good luck Tom !!!!

quote name='Tom7/16/07' date='Aug 8 2007, 07:59 PM' post='14693']

Hey Everyone my name is Tom im 23 and was banded on 17 July 2007 :)

I will start with saying i understand and sympathize with what everyone is saying. I started solid foods on Monday 8/6/07 after being on a liquid diet for a total of 2 months. While i didn't find the liquid diet to be too difficult to handle i did find that watching everyone eat, things like pizza and fried chicken was a horrible time for me. About a week ago i tried to cheat with a piece of bread and some sloppy joe which was a horrible choice as it lead to some good pain and my first experience with PB'ing it wasn't worth it :). So i just stuck with the liquid diet until the time the doctors said. In the 2 day's since i've had a grilled chicken sandwhich, 1 scrambled egg, half a green salad all of which went down fine but i had 4 forks of rice and instantly afterwards the pain came and PB'ing again. I was shocked that i could eat these other things and yet rice caused a pb'ing episode.

Anyways im happy with my results so far and the way it has made me feel, im thinking of going back to school for the first time in the 5 years since i finished high school, im looking for a job and i've started talking to a girl that likes me, a shock for me as i was starting to think i was going to be alone and feeling horrible for the rest of my life. Things are on the up and i feel that the band has really turned things around for me.

Love to all my fellow bandsters, keep strong!

Hey all! I was also banded in TJ on July 18 and was to start solid foods 8/7. I gave in to the tempations 2 days early and have felt terrible every since. I am so paranoid that I have eaten too much and stretched my stomach or eaten too much and caused it to slip. I have had no pain or soreness for over a week now but get a "prick" every now and then when I'm doing too much. Haven't experienced Pbing yet but have gotten food stuck a couple of times. I was so hungry my first solid meal that I can't even remember chewing! I really think I just swallowed it whole! My husband and parents keep reminding me of all the sacrifices made to get this far and blah blah blah. But they say it as they are cramming down pizza, french fries, steak, or beer! It's tough when you're married to the Bud guy!

Anyhow, I am waiting impatiently for my first fill and am scared I have over eaten and the band will have to be adjusted, which will cost more money than what I have. Haven't had much luck finding a reputable fill doctor in Columbia, SC either that will see me b/c I had the procedure done in TJ.

Good news, though, I have lost 13# since pre-op/op!

Help! I'm really bummed and need some reassurance that I haven't blown it all before the first fill!!

Vivian

So I am in the same boat, but I was worse than you. I was feeling wonderful very shortly after surgery and started experimenting with small amounts of soft food at the end of week two. By the end of my third week I was eating completely normally. I have no pain, no problems and no restriction (never have). I got chewed out by Dr. Ortiz when I told him I started eating early. He scared me to death talking about the possibility of band slippage and stretching of my pouch. I didn't realize that I could be messing things up and not even know it. I had never even heard you could stretch your pouch. I'm scared now and want to know if I have done damage even though I feel fine, things are going down just fine. How would I know? Would I have symptoms? If I have some how stretched my pouch is it reversible? I have a hard time believing I could have streched my pouch without any restriction and things were moving down so quickly and easily. If anyone has any information that could help me and hopefully ease my worry I would really appreciate it.

Thanks

Hey all! I was also banded in TJ on July 18 and was to start solid foods 8/7. I gave in to the tempations 2 days early and have felt terrible every since. I am so paranoid that I have eaten too much and stretched my stomach or eaten too much and caused it to slip. I have had no pain or soreness for over a week now but get a "prick" every now and then when I'm doing too much. Haven't experienced Pbing yet but have gotten food stuck a couple of times. I was so hungry my first solid meal that I can't even remember chewing! I really think I just swallowed it whole! My husband and parents keep reminding me of all the sacrifices made to get this far and blah blah blah. But they say it as they are cramming down pizza, french fries, steak, or beer! It's tough when you're married to the Bud guy!

Anyhow, I am waiting impatiently for my first fill and am scared I have over eaten and the band will have to be adjusted, which will cost more money than what I have. Haven't had much luck finding a reputable fill doctor in Columbia, SC either that will see me b/c I had the procedure done in TJ.

Help! I'm really bummed and need some reassurance that I haven't blown it all before the first fill!!

Vivian

So I am in the same boat, but I was worse than you. I was feeling wonderful very shortly after surgery and started experimenting with small amounts of soft food at the end of week two. By the end of my third week I was eating completely normally. I have no pain, no problems and no restriction (never have). I got chewed out by Dr. Ortiz when I told him I started eating early. He scared me to death talking about the possibility of band slippage and stretching of my pouch. I didn't realize that I could be messing things up and not even know it. I had never even heard you could stretch your pouch. I'm scared now and want to know if I have done damage even though I feel fine, things are going down just fine. How would I know? Would I have symptoms? If I have some how stretched my pouch is it reversible? I have a hard time believing I could have streched my pouch without any restriction and things were moving down so quickly and easily. If anyone has any information that could help me and hopefully ease my worry I would really appreciate it.

Thanks

Good question. I am in the same situation as you are. I was banded on July 24th with Dr. Ortiz. I also started eating a little early (about a week) but I have had no problems what so ever. I go for my first fill Sept. 12. Hope all is OK and everything is still were it is suppose to be.

Good question. I am in the same situation as you are. I was banded on July 24th with Dr. Ortiz. I also started eating a little early (about a week) but I have had no problems what so ever. I go for my first fill Sept. 12. Hope all is OK and everything is still were it is suppose to be.

APPLE BLOSSOM,,

Hi. This is Judy, your banding buddy from 7/9. Just wondering if you went this week for your first fill...I'm scheduled for Saturday, Sept. 1st. I'm really trying to make wise food choices since I can eat anything. Have lost 12 pounds since surgery but the scales aren't moving much lately and can't wait for the fill. Hope your doing well. ;)

I was banded by Ortiz on 8/13... 2 weeks ago! And this morning I was so hungry and ate a bagel with cream cheese!!!!!!!! It went down VERY easily - and that scares me!!! :((

http://www.obesityhelp.com/member/hotzzzzzing/

Thanks

im in the same boat too! :(( i am soo afraid that i have drank to much at a time or eaten mushy's too soon. i am back too only liquids, but im terrified that i have caused some harm to my band. i simply could not afford another one right now. help??? i thought mushies were okay after about 10 days but i guess i misunderstood. i have never pb'd or had any problems with anything i have eaten (had very mushy cottage cheese, very mushy scrambled eggs- stuff like that) but i know i have

eaten or drank more than 1/2 cup at a time. how will i know if i have stretched the pouch ? my fiull is not until oct 5th, i was banded on 8/17/07.... any words of wisdom or comfort from anyone? :((

Vivian

i did what you did only worse.. i started mushies about 8 days after my surgery, and i know i have eaten more than 1/2 cup at a time. :(( . i am terrrified that i have caused harm to the band.. have you learned anything about yours? i hope we are okay.. im back on full liquids ONLY.. i guess i misunderstood.. i thought i could eat mushies after 7 days.... im so terrified of losng the band that i cant think straight! any suggestions?

Newbies Relax!!!

You all have waited long enough for mushies. I say this becase, you would have KNOWN FOR SURE if there was a problem.

1. I wouldn't try the bagel thing again.... at some point it won't and you will want to die because the pain will be so so bad.

2. If you all ate things without pain or discomfort, it means you have healed and now are awaiting restriction ( fills). Congrats.

3. Schedule your fills as soon as your doctor will let you.. and keep getting them as needed.

4. Its good to be concern and even better not to test your band, but without restriction you will start eating too much and will stretch the pouch which is a true possiblity during this time.

AND THE MOST IMPORTANT ADVICE

If you could afford to go to TJ for the OP you CAN afford to go get AT LEAST your first fill, if not, your first three fills there... if not... buyer beware and don't complain when things don't go right.

Good Luck

• 2 weeks later...
Hello All,

I just had my surgery Wednesday (8/1) and went to sleep last night to the sound of my stomach growling. It was not a pleasant feeling, but I have been good and am sticking to the liquids. I am just afraid that it is going to be a VERY long two weeks!!! I am trying to keep my end goal in sight, but it was nice to do a google search and find this forum where others are facing similar issues!

The HUNGER I can't stand! It's not head hunger, either, it's growling, cramping hunger! But, I'm with you - I'm sticking with this plan no matter what. I don't want ruin it, but it will be a long 2 weeks!

I just had my surgery on the 5th of Sept. Reading a lot of the posts on this site has helped me so much! I still have pain near my port, but that's the only pain I've felt. I haven't read much on this...Is this normal?

How did your first month go? Did you cave, did you stick to it? I'm anxious for words of advice. :)

I still have one week exactly before I can eat real food. I'm so hungry!!!! I have been naughty and have had a small milk shake from McD's for the last three days because I'm so sick of soup and the shakes really fill me up. I looked up the calories today 440 for a SMALL!!!! I won't be going back there. This is really hard!

I still have one week exactly before I can eat real food. I'm so hungry!!!! I have been naughty and have had a small milk shake from McD's for the last three days because I'm so sick of soup and the shakes really fill me up. I looked up the calories today 440 for a SMALL!!!! I won't be going back there. This is really hard!

This is hard! I have to admit, I came into this thinking it would be so easy. I didn't think I'd still be able to eat things. But, I'm trying really hard to stick to it. I don't want to go through any surgeries again if my band slips, etc. Today I put clam chowder in the blender and that made it a little better. I want to bite into something and eat it!

I'm trying to use this time to address my feelings about food. I was 295 at my heaviest, 285 when I was banded a week ago, and if this is going to work long-term then I have to change how I feel. I keep thinking about "skinny" people that I know and how they eat. I've known people at work who take 1/2 a bagel to their desk at breakfast and at lunch are still picking at it. It takes me 3.7 seconds to down a bagel! So, I need to really focus on appreciating food for eating, not pleasure. 1 ounce every 15 minutes has put me more in the mind-set of "grazing". I try to occupy my time with other things, and not focus on the food.

But it is so HARD. We just have to hang in there! :)