Banded April 2006

Good for you for your determination. I have noticed too that I have a hard time eating slowing. I don't get an uninterupted meal either, but because of kids. It is hard to slow down after being in such a hurry all the time. I have a hard time chewing slowly and waiting between bites.

Thanks for sharing what Dr. Ortiz tells you. I'm sure it will help the rest of us. I am glad to hear your sister is doing so well also. It must be very hard though, to watch her be so successful, while you struggle.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Becki

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dr. Ortiz recommended I stay right where I am with the band since I am able to eat solids now. He also stated that I should eat very slowly! It is frustrating to see the success my sister has had when I am struggling, but she has struggled too... the girl just doesn't eat that much .. little tea spoons of this and that, I'm telling ya! It is also, at the same time, very inspiring to see that this band can work. I'm so very proud of her. She and I have been dieting together for years and I've seen her struggles and this weight loss is very well deserved. I just wish I could share in the success! And I will... I just need to find my way of dealing with is band and modify my behaviors. :D

I'm beginning to think that you have to be "tight" to loose weight. I'm not satisfied with staying right where I am because I'm not loosing weight and that was the whole point of spending 10K. There certainly is such a thing as being too tight ... but think about this idea since 1/3 of what you could eat before is such a vauge guideline.... that you literally have to go from eating a plate full of food to eating spoonfuls. My sister has had great success with her band and so I'm studying her like a lab rat! :lol:

I've whinned and cried that we eat the same ... and we do eat the same foods, but while I was obsessed about what I could shovel down, I didn't notice that she literally eats in spoonfuls. Recently, while celebrating our brother's birthday, I observed what she ate: a teaspoon of pinto beans, a teaspoon of casserole, a teaspoon of mixed greens and she accepted a serving of cake, ate maybe two teaspoons of it and pushed it aside and there were still a few morsels left on her plate. In contrast, I ate 1/2 cup casserole, 1/2 pinto beans, and maybe a few spoons of greens and a whole peice of cake. Tahah.... that's why I'm still fat and she's lost nearly 70lbs!

Another case in point, a nurse I work with was banded in 2005 and to date she has lost 80lbs. What does she eat ........ a spoonful of this and that.

Neither can eat meat unless it is very tender and neither exercise.

I haven't talked a lot about Mom on here because she participates under her own ID on this forum of "Dreamer". But she went with me for band eval.. we have been having the same problems. She insisted on a fill and in one week she has dropped 5lbs! Yes, 5lbs.. and I think I've gained it. At Sunday dinner... what did she eat? Spoonfuls!

I'm going to get another fill.... I don't care what they say... This band has to be a behavior modification tool for me because I can't do it on my own. Of course, I don't want to be too tight ... but I do want this to work. I'm going to try this as an experiment and if I am too tight I can go back and get it taken out.

Chelley

I'm beginning to think that you have to be "tight" to loose weight. I'm not satisfied with staying right where I am because I'm not loosing weight and that was the whole point of spending 10K. There certainly is such a thing as being too tight ... but think about this idea since 1/3 of what you could eat before is such a vauge guideline.... that you literally have to go from eating a plate full of food to eating spoonfuls. My sister has had great success with her band and so I'm studying her like a lab rat! :lol:

I've whinned and cried that we eat the same ... and we do eat the same foods, but while I was obsessed about what I could shovel down, I didn't notice that she literally eats in spoonfuls. Recently, while celebrating our brother's birthday, I observed what she ate: a teaspoon of pinto beans, a teaspoon of casserole, a teaspoon of mixed greens and she accepted a serving of cake, ate maybe two teaspoons of it and pushed it aside and there were still a few morsels left on her plate. In contrast, I ate 1/2 cup casserole, 1/2 pinto beans, and maybe a few spoons of greens and a whole peice of cake. Tahah.... that's why I'm still fat and she's lost nearly 70lbs!

Another case in point, a nurse I work with was banded in 2005 and to date she has lost 80lbs. What does she eat ........ a spoonful of this and that.

Neither can eat meat unless it is very tender and neither exercise.

I haven't talked a lot about Mom on here because she participates under her own ID on this forum of "Dreamer". But she went with me for band eval.. we have been having the same problems. She insisted on a fill and in one week she has dropped 5lbs! Yes, 5lbs.. and I think I've gained it. At Sunday dinner... what did she eat? Spoonfuls!

I'm going to get another fill.... I don't care what they say... This band has to be a behavior modification tool for me because I can't do it on my own. Of course, I don't want to be too tight ... but I do want this to work. I'm going to try this as an experiment and if I am too tight I can go back and get it taken out.

Chelley

LET US KNOW HOW YOU DO CHELLEY

BEST WISHES,

PAM

I hope you figure out what works for you. It must be nice to have your sister to study. I didn't know anyone who was banded before, so I kind of feel like I am out on my own.

I just want to comment on something you observed. You said neither your sister or our coworker exercise. I have found that to be true of most people. In fact, I have yet to meet anyone with the band who regularly exercises. Or at least, they don't mention it. I know that exercising regularly can greatly increase the amount that you can eat, by burning calories during exercise, and raising your metabolism the rest of the time.

Exercising for several hours a week is one of the ten rules of being banded. When Dr. Ortiz said he wants us to eat 1/3 or what we did before (which is very fague for me), I believe that he was assuming we would all follow all 10 of the bandster rules. If we don't, then, of course, we should not be able to eat the same amounts of food.

Eating by the spoonful seems like a pretty appropriate amount of food, if exercise is not included. For me though, I just can't get enough nutrients that way, and I have found some exercises that I really enjoy. I hope that I will not have to be as tight, and will need less fills, and find more foods acceptable to my band, by exercising regularly.

That being said, I am off to the treadmill.

Becki

Chelley,

You are in my thoughts and I am praying that you will soon find success. You have been the most informative, motivational, person on this board and it was your posts that inspired me(and others)to take the plunge and get banded. I feel your frustration and truely hope you will find the solution. Please keep us informed. Hugs...Nita

I am struggling with the band adjustments just like everyone else on this board and feel very much it is a "learn as you go" process. I did go back to Paris, TX today and Dr. Parkhill did an excellent eval on my band. I have 5.1cc in the band and he added 1.4cc today. He actually added 2cc and had to back off because the restriction was too great. In addition, he also made sure the barium was flowing through the digestive tract satisfactory. I was able to drink 16oz water before I left without any trouble. I'll keep you posted as to how it goes. I appreciate your comments and encouragement, but by no means do I have the "answers" to this fickle fill business. I feel very much like I'm stumbling through the dark on getting this thing right.... but believe you me... when I find the answer I'll broadcast it loud and clear to save anyone else this rollercoaster journey.

Chelley

By the way, Becki - I think that exercise buys you calories and helps tone and strengthen you. I've just never been successful at maintaining an exercise regimen. If I had, I wouldn't be fat. :lol:

By the way, Becki - I think that exercise buys you calories and helps tone and strengthen you. I've just never been successful at maintaining an exercise regimen. If I had, I wouldn't be fat. :lol:

Chelley - me too. I am just hoping that as I lose, I can exercise more, without the aches and pains for carrying 100 extra pounds. I have high aspirations of being and athlete, but now with so much extra weight. I hope it will help me eat more in the long run though.

Becki

Chelley - me too. I am just hoping that as I lose, I can exercise more, without the aches and pains for carrying 100 extra pounds. I have high aspirations of being and athlete, but now with so much extra weight. I hope it will help me eat more in the long run though.

Becki

Becki,

My son is a body builder(go figure) and I know from him that he has to eat HUGE amounts of food to build muscle and maintain his weight. If you are doing alot of exercise you can certainly eat more, but the food still has to be quality calories. Also assuming you aren't trying to look like Arnold what is name you won't want to take in as many calories. Good Luck, and good luck to you Chelley!

Becki,

My son is a body builder(go figure) and I know from him that he has to eat HUGE amounts of food to build muscle and maintain his weight. If you are doing alot of exercise you can certainly eat more, but the food still has to be quality calories. Also assuming you aren't trying to look like Arnold what is name you won't want to take in as many calories. Good Luck, and good luck to you Chelley!

I think I might like to look more like Arnold, and a little less like me right now, but no, not a big body builder. I would like to eat like a skinny person though, more than a few teaspoonful. You know, like a tablespoon. LOL . So I will exercise.

Becki

I think I might like to look more like Arnold, and a little less like me right now, but no, not a big body builder. I would like to eat like a skinny person though, more than a few teaspoonful. You know, like a tablespoon. LOL . So I will exercise.

Becki

Too funny ... a whole tablespoon, huh? :lol:

So you did get a fill yesterday. How did it go? And how are you feeling?

Becki

I did get a fill on Monday. The doc put in 2cc then took out some leaving me with a 1.4cc fill. I can already tell there is a difference just on liquids and hope it lasts. Wouldn't it be a hoot if all this time while I was beating myself up & worried sick I'd ruinned my band that I just needed another fill in this VG monster band??? :rolleyes:

I did get a fill on Monday. The doc put in 2cc then took out some leaving me with a 1.4cc fill. I can already tell there is a difference just on liquids and hope it lasts. Wouldn't it be a hoot if all this time while I was beating myself up & worried sick I'd ruinned my band that I just needed another fill in this VG monster band??? :rolleyes:

I sure that is the answer. I am glad to hear you so hopeful and optimistic. And glad your band is not ruined.

Becki

In less than a week after my fill I've lost 6 lbs. I'm pleased. I am also scared to hope it will continue and almost reluctant to share my news here for fear of jinxing myself & getting on the scale tomorrow with the digital read out telling me the weight loss was only temporary.

Yo-Yo Chelley

Hey, what happened to optimisim. This works for so many people. I'm sure a fill was all you needed. ANd you are not Yoyo Chelley, just working it out and finding that sweet spot. But congrats on your first week. It is exciting. I am leaving today for my first fill on Tuesday. I am very excited as well, and anxious to be losing a little faster, and not having to be so careful. But I am very happy with this surgery so far.

Becki

In less than a week after my fill I've lost 6 lbs. I'm pleased. I am also scared to hope it will continue and almost reluctant to share my news here for fear of jinxing myself & getting on the scale tomorrow with the digital read out telling me the weight loss was only temporary.

Yo-Yo Chelley

THAT'S WHAT IT'S ALL ABOUT :) LOSING WEIGHT

Chelley,

I am so glad that you have had success. I haven't been on line in so long, because I am trying to figure out my life. I have been attending a local support group and have been seeing a bariatric surgeon (who was trained by Dr. Ortiz). I was banded July 14 and already have had 4 fills and am up to 7.2 cc in my 10cc VG band. Thanks to the support group, I didn't beat myself up as long as you did. But sadlly, I still am not losing weight. I lost the original 26 pounds, but the scale has not moved even one pound in the past six weeks. I am getting discouraged, but after reading your post, I will probably call the doctor this week again. I think the answer is in getting the right tightness to the band. I still feel hungry and can definitely eat more than just a couple of teaspoons. When I question myself about the restriction, I remember what it was like immediately after the surgery, and I know that I am just not restricted now. This has been much more difficult than I ever thought, but I am not going to give up. Chelley, was your last fill under flouroscopy? I have had 2 with and 2 without. God luck. I hope you keep on losing.

Sheila

Chelley,

I am so glad that you have had success. I haven't been on line in so long, because I am trying to figure out my life. I have been attending a local support group and have been seeing a bariatric surgeon (who was trained by Dr. Ortiz). I was banded July 14 and already have had 4 fills and am up to 7.2 cc in my 10cc VG band. Thanks to the support group, I didn't beat myself up as long as you did. But sadlly, I still am not losing weight. I lost the original 26 pounds, but the scale has not moved even one pound in the past six weeks. I am getting discouraged, but after reading your post, I will probably call the doctor this week again. I think the answer is in getting the right tightness to the band. I still feel hungry and can definitely eat more than just a couple of teaspoons. When I question myself about the restriction, I remember what it was like immediately after the surgery, and I know that I am just not restricted now. This has been much more difficult than I ever thought, but I am not going to give up. Chelley, was your last fill under flouroscopy? I have had 2 with and 2 without. God luck. I hope you keep on losing.

Sheila

Sheila - All my fill have been under x-ray. I don't think I could have a blind fill. I want the doctor to see the degree of restriction as the band is being adjusted. I also am comforted to see them use x-ray to locate and stick the port. It is rare, but a blind stick can have complications. Chelley

I do think I have true restriction now. It has been more than a week since my fill and I have restriction all the time now. Before, I would feel restricted at times and at other times not. I don't know what the funky stage I was going through ... filled but not filled enough? I was PB'ing just about every day because I was trying to eat 1/3 of what I could before. My hair was falling out and I was a wreck.

To save some of you guys the grief I went through, forget that 1/3 of what you could eat before thing. That guideline is too broad and too vauge for most of us chronic overeaters. When you have real restriction, you are down to spoon fulls of food per meal. You slime and PB if you eat too fast or you eat something you haven't chewed well. You actually vommit when you overeat or get your openning clogged. Sips of water should go down freely. I literally am having to re-train myself how to eat. I have to count as I chew and focus on what I'm eating. To give you guys an idea of the level of restriction this was my diet yesterday: 2 deli thin slices of hard salami, 1 cube of cheese, 1/2 c low fat milk, 2 graham crackers, 1 slice of peach (canned), and of course water between meals/snacks. The day before: 3T chili beans, 1 saltine cracker, 1t cottage cheese, 2T natural applesauce, and one Reese's cup (my bad). :lol:

Chelley

I do think I have true restriction now. It has been more than a week since my fill and I have restriction all the time now. Before, I would feel restricted at times and at other times not. I don't know what the funky stage I was going through ... filled but not filled enough? I was PB'ing just about every day because I was trying to eat 1/3 of what I could before. My hair was falling out and I was a wreck.

To save some of you guys the grief I went through, forget that 1/3 of what you could eat before thing. That guideline is too broad and too vauge for most of us chronic overeaters. When you have real restriction, you are down to spoon fulls of food per meal. You slime and PB if you eat too fast or you eat something you haven't chewed well. You actually vommit when you overeat or get your openning clogged. Sips of water should go down freely. I literally am having to re-train myself how to eat. I have to count as I chew and focus on what I'm eating. To give you guys an idea of the level of restriction this was my diet yesterday: 2 deli thin slices of hard salami, 1 cube of cheese, 1/2 c low fat milk, 2 graham crackers, 1 slice of peach (canned), and of course water between meals/snacks. The day before: 3T chili beans, 1 saltine cracker, 1t cottage cheese, 2T natural applesauce, and one Reese's cup (my bad). :lol:

Chelley

MAKE SURE YOU GET ALL YOUR PROTEIN IN, 60 PLUS GRAMS A DAY IS WHAT I STRIVE FOR

Today I am down to 206 ... I'm very pleased. With this level of restriction it is coming off effortlessly. I can't believe I waited so long to get another fill. All this wasted time from June til now I was beating myself up, was very dissatisfied with my portions because I did have some restriction but not enough to keep me from eating those extra bites. I think your hair is going to fall out regardless as a result of the anesthesia not because of starvation or lack of protien. And it does come back in as everyone has promised me who has been through this. It is a miserable place to be when you can't eat much and aren't loosing weight. I hope my posts help to spare some of you this awful struggle of self blame, tears, and humilation. Yes, humiliation ... I blabbed about my surgery to everyone I know! Here it is six months later and I think my co-workers pitty my failure.

Bites people... teaspoons, maybe a few tablespoons. I think they are afraid to tell you that because 1/3 of what you could eat before sounds better! LOL!

Chelley

(Pammie - I use fish, milk, cheese, and an occassional Slim Fast - High Protein to help supplement my protien.)