SUPPORT NEEDED!!!!!!

Hi you guys;

I really need some help..... I was banded by Dr. Ortiz on 2/20/08. For the post op diet portion I did fine- no problems...lost a few pounds yadda yadda.... Then when I started solid foods....holy cow. I can LITERALLY eat ANYTHING. I have no trouble keeping anything or any type of food down. Bread fine, pasta fine, potatoes fine, everything is FINE. I feel no restriction... I know that my band is empty, but I was hoping that I would feel something. I eat.... can eat just like before I had surgery, and the reason that I had surgery was because I NEVER felt fullness. Now I'm back in that same boat. I've read a few books that said during the post op time until first fill everything that I feel and eat is normal, BUT that doesn't help with the emotional roller coaster that I am on. I even started working out really hard on Tuesday (no abs) and I was so hungry when I got home, I undid everything that I had just DID at the gym. PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE Someone tell me that this will get under control when I get my first fill. My fill is scheduled for 4/5/08- 2 more weeks away. I really want to be sucessful. I want to be an AFTER, I am SO tired of always being a before. :(

Sorry to hear about your struggles Cindy,

Take a look at this post about Paul McKenna and his diet tips: http://www.lapbandforum.com/index.php?showtopic=5281 especially the very last post that gives some really great tips about how to control your eating (it's written for anyone to use but I think his ideas are especially helpful to bandsters).

Just an example you said that you were famished after working out his method tells you it is ok to eat, but if you are anything like I used to be when I was doing a kitchen raid I would stand up and eat right out of the pantry or fridge not stopping for anything. A big part of his method is for you to sit down and eat slowly- put your knife and fork down between bites. This way you can better listen to your body's full signal, this way you're less likely to overeat.

From what I understand once reaching solids it is really common for your weight loss to plateau and yes some people even gain a few pounds, but once you've got your first fill you won't have to worry so much about listening to your body, the lap band will be an amplifier so instead of a whisper your band will be a bull horn letting you know you are full!

Thanks so much MamaMichelle! I will check out that link. I REALLY appreciate everything! I never thought I would go through "bandster hell" BUT here I am. What's so GREAT is I asked for help and in the matter of minutes it was right here for me. Again thanks you guys, I am starting to fell somewhat better, hungry BUT better...haha

WHEN YOUR BAND IS EMPTY YOU SHOULDN'T REALLY HAVE RESTRICTION. THE REASON PEOPLE FEEL RESTRICTION IS BECAUSE THEY ARE STILL SWOLLEN. YOU SHOULD CALL AND SEE IF YOU CAN GET AN APPOINTMENT SOONER. DON'T WORRY A LOT OF PEOPLE DON'T START LOOSING UNTIL THEY GET A FILL.

Oh Girl,

I am afraid of the same thing. I have been on liquids cheating a little bit and not feeling much. I can't wait to get my first fill. I know that we will be afters once we get our fills. Count your calories and don't lose faith. It took a long time for us to get fat so it's going to take some time for us to get skinny. I have faith in you!

><'

Maytee

Good morning everyone;

Thanks for all of the replies!!! I have gotten some really good advice from all of you, and I'm going to put it to use this week. 1st of all I am going to get some lean cuisines and really watch calories and portions, only eat when I'm hungry (which means never staying at home, or I will graze), then TRY to stick to the 3 meal a day plan. Monday I am going to call the fill center and see if I can move my appointment up 1 week.

I am so use to failing on diets.... I DO NOT WANT TO FAIL THE BAND!!!! I AM NOT GOING TO FAIL THE BAND- IT HAS TO WORK!!!!!! I feel like everyone (my co-workers, family and friends) are looking at me just waiting on me to fail, BECAUSE I always have. My family is very supportive, but I feel like the boy that cried wolf to many times only I cried I will be skinny to many times....

Again THANKS SOOOOO MUCH YOU GUYS!!!! Ya'll are just what I needed!!!

Cindy

You will not fail the band. You have the desire and motivation to make it work and it will work. I bet you were a great success at dieting in the past and only failed when you could no longer sustain the rigors of a strict diet, so now that you have your little friend you will have great success it just will take some time to get everything synchronized and working right.

Be patient and go easy on yourself, you will do great!

SJ

Hi Cindy!

I've been banded over 3 years so I guess you can say I know how my band works. I'm sure you did your research, 99% of the time you have no restriction post-op, the weight you lose is from the retrictive diet, not the band. The band is only a tool, nothing else, if your head is not in the right place you won't lose a pound. The band can be amazing, you still have to make good choices when eating. My first fill worked for me, but others, many, have told me it took 2 or 3. Don't get discouraged, remember you didn't put this weight on over night. Continue to exercise, and make good choices, watch your portions as well. Talk and get support where ever, and whenever possible it truly helps. I know this sucks to hear, but the band is not a miracle, it will help you along your journey, it is not gastric bypass, not even close. After you have restriction, very soon I'm sure, the pounds will start falling off. Good luck, and continued success!!!!!! =D> Helena in Las Vegas

i had surgery 3 weeks ago this tuesday... and my jaws hurt me so bad after chewing 30+ times a bite, but i learned to eat oatmeal or mashed potatoes so i didnt have to chew much.... i was 263 2 weeks before surgery and i was 250 1 1/2 weeks after surgery... so i havent lost much... and i was worried that my weight was stopping... but after hearing some of these others i realize that i should lose more after my first fill, which is 4/14/08... i still sometimes get in a hurry and eat too fast or dont chew enough times, and it does make me sick... also if i try to snack or eat a 4th meal like at midnight, i get extremely sick... so i am never going to do that again... i still eat a large plate of food... i am assuming this habbit will change after the fill...

i had surgery 3 weeks ago this tuesday... and my jaws hurt me so bad after chewing 30+ times a bite, but i learned to eat oatmeal or mashed potatoes so i didnt have to chew much.... i was 263 2 weeks before surgery and i was 250 1 1/2 weeks after surgery... so i havent lost much... and i was worried that my weight was stopping... but after hearing some of these others i realize that i should lose more after my first fill, which is 4/14/08... i still sometimes get in a hurry and eat too fast or dont chew enough times, and it does make me sick... also if i try to snack or eat a 4th meal like at midnight, i get extremely sick... so i am never going to do that again... i still eat a large plate of food... i am assuming this habbit will change after the fill...

Hi Moonslick, I am having the banding on 04/01 and noticed you mentioned getting sick, what kind of sick? Thanks much, ParGirl

Happy Monday Everyone!!!

I feel a lot better today!!! Thanks for everyone's support while I was going through my pity party. I did try to move my fill appointment up a week, but the lady only comes to Ga. on the 1st and 3rd Saturday of the month, so I have to wait, BUT I will be OK ;) thanks to all of ya'lls support. Off to the gym, hope everyone had a great holiday!!! AGAIN THANK YOU TO EVERYONE!!!!

I'm in the same boat, I was on Vacation this weekend and ate like a pig, Not once did I know what hunger felt like!! I'm going for a fill on Sat and praying that helps. I'm going to try watching my diet this week and see if it helps shrink my stomache. Good luck to you!!! I know what your going thru!!

Donna