cell phone warning

Greetings Lapbanders

Imagine my surprise today when I got my Sprint cell phone bill with charges of $36 for Mexico usage..... When I went to Mexico I turned on my cell for all of about 10 seconds just to see if I "had bars" I then turned it off and never made a call or received a call... Sprint did take off the charges after I demanded a Supervisor a lovely 25 minute call.... but I learned that if you even turn you phone on you can be nailed with charges. I guess any call that calls your phone, hangs up or leaves a message etc, you get billed for those minutes. The funny thing is, no way did people call me about 25-30 times as all the charges were 1 or 2 minutes!!! Don't be sorry, leave it off!!! Teri

I had mine on, but it wouldn't work. A friend that was with me had AT&T and hers worked. I have Cellular South.

That's odd - I kept my phone on because I could receive and send texts (no calls, though) and I wasn't charged anything extra. I have Verizon and I made sure to check my statement from that time. I haven't heard good things about Sprint - sorry you had to deal with that!

Depends on your phone and your plan. Check the print for international calls carefully, especially if you phone is capable of internet access and emails. Plenty of international travelers have gotten burned big time when their phone was doing data transmissions for email or simply looking for a signal and got hit with massively inflated international rates. To be safe from this, you can turn your phone off. To be paranoid, you can take the battery out.

I, too, was able to use my phone with no extra charges. I have Alltel and my phone would be on Mexico tower one minute and US tower the next. I would use it when it was on US tower and it would show no service when on Mexican tower.

I had no trouble with Verizon. I had it on the whole time, and the closer to the border I got, even though I was still in Mexico, it worked just fine - and it was on US airtime, not Mexico. With our plan, it's 99 cents per minute to call out or receive calls. But like I said, we were in US airspace, so it was all included.

I have Verizon and just got my bill today!! Total shocker to see that my normally $45 bill turned into $100. They charged me for roaming...it didn't even cross my mind that this could happen because we were so close to the US. I have also had my phone say "roaming" before and never received extra charges. Maybe I will call them and find out what the deal is. UGGGHH!!!

Thanks for posting this topic...thought I was the only one.

My plan is out of Canada and I had a HUGE bill on my cell phone too. I 'apparently' called my boyfriend on his cell phone (from my cell) the night of my surgery. I honestly cannot remember doing it but my call to him (on his bill) was $20. I also called and texted my kids back in Canada a few times. My bill was an extra $100 when I got it. OUCH!!!! :wacko:

Commenting on Redhead's call to her boyfriends cell the night of your surgery. I did something similar, but I don't remember this at all. Apparently on the day of my surgery, must have been the night, I called some infomercial I saw on TV and ordered a weed wacker for $119 (The Worx, if you have happened to see it) and not only did I order that weed wacker, I ordered a 2nd weed wacker (maybe I was getting my dad one for fathers day??) and I ordered a hedge trimmer.....I don't have but 1 bush in my yard, and I can't imagine spending $179 for a hedge trimmer!

I didn't think the meds they gave me were that strong!!!

I called my cell phone provider, at&t, and we were told that it is 59cents a minute in Mexico and text messages are 50cents. I leave tomorrow morning for my surgery so I'll know for sure then how the service works out! :D

I have also not heard good things about Sprint.

Commenting on Redhead's call to her boyfriends cell the night of your surgery. I did something similar, but I don't remember this at all. Apparently on the day of my surgery, must have been the night, I called some infomercial I saw on TV and ordered a weed wacker for $119 (The Worx, if you have happened to see it) and not only did I order that weed wacker, I ordered a 2nd weed wacker (maybe I was getting my dad one for fathers day??) and I ordered a hedge trimmer.....I don't have but 1 bush in my yard, and I can't imagine spending $179 for a hedge trimmer!

I didn't think the meds they gave me were that strong!!!

Oh my Goodness, this is hilarious! did you return the stuff and get you money back?

I am working on returning the stuff, but I am arguing about them sending me a call tag for it because that stuff is heavy and shipping it is expensive! I did put the charges in dispute on my credit card though.

but as fate would have it....my son dropped my old weed whacker on Saturday, so I was like, well I guess I will keep one of these and opened it and used it and let me tell you IT IS THE BOMB!!!

I am working on returning the stuff, but I am arguing about them sending me a call tag for it because that stuff is heavy and shipping it is expensive! I did put the charges in dispute on my credit card though.

but as fate would have it....my son dropped my old weed whacker on Saturday, so I was like, well I guess I will keep one of these and opened it and used it and let me tell you IT IS THE BOMB!!!

Oohhhh.. I don't think I would like a bomb in my yard! :lol:

Guest cedartown

My phone was on for 2 days in TJ (AT&T) & my bill had ZERO charges on it.

I couldn't use it as i was roaming & forgot to call to have international activated.

I called my cell phone provider, at&t, and we were told that it is 59cents a minute in Mexico and text messages are 50cents. I leave tomorrow morning for my surgery so I'll know for sure then how the service works out! :D

I have also not heard good things about Sprint.

Erin,, I know I am wat late but I will be thinking of you today.. Let us know how you do~~ ;) God Luck.. Lisalisa