Tonight I was talking with my husband about the surgery I am having on July 25th...the BANDING!!!! He asked me what about popcorn??? He said can you ever have popcorn again?? I realized I don't know...after surgery after how long...6 months? or when? or never? He keeps saying...this might work but what about long term...can you live with it? What do you all think about lifestyle after your banding...are you remorseful over things? It doesn't seem like anyone is??

Thanks all!!!!

Sylvia

July 25, 2008 banding date!!!!!

nervous, excited, did i say nervous??? lol

Guest sdejong

My big fear is gum... I know that sounds silly but I am a chronic gum swallower.... I have never been able to break it, I chew it for like 5-10 min. and then I swallow it... I am so scared that I will forget not to have gum and it will get stuck... I plan on talking to Dr. O about this when I get banded on July 1... Oh my gosh less than a week.... woooooh.....

Good to know that popcorn is ok...

shy

I am a gum swallower too. I decided I won't chew it for a while till I get used to the band. I am having my surgery on 07/01 too. Is it normal to be this nervous? I am starting to really get scared.. I made my mind up about this whole thing last October and have been working hard at it ever since (down 34 pounds as of today - YEAH!!). Now the old thoughts are starting to come back,

1. Is it worth it?

2. I have lost 34 pounds in 8 months maybe I can do this on my own?

3. Am I worth it? I have been fat my whole life, people like me this way?

4. Will I be able to succeed?

5. Why am I afraid to be healthy and a normal weight?

Thanks for listening to me... I am just being a nervous nelly, I am sure.. It helps having this forum, that is for sure!

T minus 6 days and counting......

Dear I AM WORTH IT:

YOu say it in your name but I will try and give response to your questions. I am new at this but this is what I say to myself.

1. Is it worth it? Yes

2. I have lost 34 pounds in 8 months maybe I can do this on my own? Maybe but have you ever lost as much as you need to before and kept it off?

3. Am I worth it? Absolutely Yes, Yes, Yes. I have been fat my whole life, people like me this way? If they are youre true friend they will love you and support youthrough this. No one who is negative is really your friend.

4. Will I be able to succeed? Yes, but you'll have to work at it. It's not a magic cure but it works if you work it!!

5. Why am I afraid to be healthy and a normal weight? Years of being overweight creates a person inside who is scared to come out. We all have had many many reasons to lose weight and gain it back and lose and gain etc. To succeed we must not be afraid to go deep into our own head and figure out why. It's different for each of us. If you don't figure out why at least figure out what will trip you up and what will help you succeed. It's baby steps. It's small changes that you do EVERY day from this day forward to make this happen. It's trusting yourself to take care of yourself once and for all. You've already started the change process by losing the pre-op weight, but that just the beginning. Look at this a at least a year long project broken down into some sort of manageable goals, increments that will get this time by. It's ok to be afraid but don't sabatoge yourself. This is it...You have already started but keep on keeping on one day, one week, one hour sometimes, at a time.

Remember we all deserve to be happy and healthy and they go together. Keep in touch and use this forum to motivate you.

I have had popcorn, not alot, but just enough to still enjoy it. Just take one at a time, and chew it really good.

Wow, what a difference your pictures make! Congratulations to you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Don't chew gum if you swallow :P

My big fear is gum... I know that sounds silly but I am a chronic gum swallower.... I have never been able to break it, I chew it for like 5-10 min. and then I swallow it... I am so scared that I will forget not to have gum and it will get stuck... I plan on talking to Dr. O about this when I get banded on July 1... Oh my gosh less than a week.... woooooh.....

Good to know that popcorn is ok...

shy

I have heard it's best to avoid gum because it forces you to swallow lots of air and that can result in a painful gas bubble!! I miss gum a lot, I used to always get a pack in the checkout line or gas station so now I have to slap my own hand back and say NO!! lol

I eat popcorn with no problem....I eat one piece at a time and chew,chew,chew.....The band is a tool to help you achieve a life long goal....things you won't be able to eat and enjoy right now, you will probably be able to enjoy when your goal has been met!! No Regrets Here!! ><'

I have had popcorn, not alot, but just enough to still enjoy it. Just take one at a time, and chew it really good.

You are looking great! Can't wait to see you in your next picture update!

Dear I AM WORTH IT:

YOu say it in your name but I will try and give response to your questions. I am new at this but this is what I say to myself.

1. Is it worth it? Yes

2. I have lost 34 pounds in 8 months maybe I can do this on my own? Maybe but have you ever lost as much as you need to before and kept it off?

3. Am I worth it? Absolutely Yes, Yes, Yes. I have been fat my whole life, people like me this way? If they are youre true friend they will love you and support youthrough this. No one who is negative is really your friend.

4. Will I be able to succeed? Yes, but you'll have to work at it. It's not a magic cure but it works if you work it!!

5. Why am I afraid to be healthy and a normal weight? Years of being overweight creates a person inside who is scared to come out. We all have had many many reasons to lose weight and gain it back and lose and gain etc. To succeed we must not be afraid to go deep into our own head and figure out why. It's different for each of us. If you don't figure out why at least figure out what will trip you up and what will help you succeed. It's baby steps. It's small changes that you do EVERY day from this day forward to make this happen. It's trusting yourself to take care of yourself once and for all. You've already started the change process by losing the pre-op weight, but that just the beginning. Look at this a at least a year long project broken down into some sort of manageable goals, increments that will get this time by. It's ok to be afraid but don't sabatoge yourself. This is it...You have already started but keep on keeping on one day, one week, one hour sometimes, at a time.

Remember we all deserve to be happy and healthy and they go together. Keep in touch and use this forum to motivate you.

Well said, Julie

Yesterday I went to see sex and the city and ate 1/2 of a small popcorn with butter. It was a HUGE treat, I enjoyed every kernal I put in my mouth :) I have no problems with popcorn other than it give me gas. (really) I think because I don't eat a lot of bread/white flour so it really does a number of my tummy.. usually I will have a handful once or twice a week when my BF makes it.. I haven't had movie popcorn since being banded. After I ate 1/2 the bag I closed it and put it on the chair beside me and forgot about it. I felt satisfied. I like that.

Popcorn, I love it and eat it when i take my kids to see a show at the theater. I have no problem and even have put the new flavoring like White Cheddar on it. hope that helps. but do realize there are some other things that you may never want to try or eat again. My tough one is Hamburgers. but i don't have any cravings for them now. best of luck.