2 Weeks Post Op

Wow it is hard to believe it has been two weeks already. I have had 2 slips with solids. #-o :bad: It wasn't due to hunger it was just a craving. I am back on track, not a single hunger pang. Thank God for that! I am down 14 pounds and seeing the changes already.

I actually have enough energy to clean my house and get my butt out of bed instead of sleeping off and on all day. I think the kids are happier too. They are slowly getting their mom back. I NEVER would have been able to loose even these 14 lbs without the band and Dr. O.

What a wonderful and happy day I am having. For the first time in months I don't feel like a "COW" and am not beating myself up because I am a "LAZY ASS". Wait a minute.....am I getting my self esteem back?????? That is something I never thought I would see again. I AM PRETTY, I AM WORTH IT, WE ALL ARE WORTH IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hugs

Trudy

Hi Trudy

Glad you're back on track. I would have to go for a walk or hide in the bath when certain things were being cooked in my house( garlic bread)

Only one more week and you get to eat .

Hope to see you at the next Calgary lapbanders get together.

Nicolek

Wow! I can hear the excitement inyour words. Good for you. We all have slip ups but its part of life, no one is perfect all the time. Keep up the good work!! :D

I too am two weeks post op. Trudy and I were banded on the same day. Then went shopping in Tijuana the next day . I had terrible acid reflux and gas for the first week but it seems to have gone away.

I sometimes get queasy and now its just my energy level. I can't work as many hours as I used too. I have slipped on the solids. I have confessed my sins to Trudy but had a good day today.

I am down 12 lbs.

I am a bit worried that the solids I have eaten may have stretched the band.. but I guess I won't know for a while.

I haven't been the best. Does anyone know just how damaging solid foods can be to the band? I mean what percent of people have trouble

with bands if they haven't been perfect with the liquids for the first two weeks? I mean I had no trouble eating a piece of bread. ( i chewed it real good)

Today had lobster bisque (no solids in it) at Whole Foods--nice treat.

David

I too am two weeks post op. Trudy and I were banded on the same day. Then went shopping in Tijuana the next day . I had terrible acid reflux and gas for the first week but it seems to have gone away.

I sometimes get queasy and now its just my energy level. I can't work as many hours as I used too. I have slipped on the solids. I have confessed my sins to Trudy but had a good day today.

I am down 12 lbs.

I am a bit worried that the solids I have eaten may have stretched the band.. but I guess I won't know for a while.

I haven't been the best. Does anyone know just how damaging solid foods can be to the band? I mean what percent of people have trouble

with bands if they haven't been perfect with the liquids for the first two weeks? I mean I had no trouble eating a piece of bread. ( i chewed it real good)

David

The majority of people have followed the rules of liquids only for the first 3 weeks so you won't get a answer on that. I can tell you that there is a tremendous risk of ruining the surgery if you eat solids before the 3 weeks. That would be why your doctor told you to follow the rules. Didn't you believe him when he said that?

I am down 12 lbs.

David

David I am so happy to hear you are feeling better. Be strong hun, only 6 days to go until we can have solids. You can do this!!!! ><' :lb18: :lb16:

Hugs

Trudy

i am 19 days in and i can definitely attest to how insanely sorry i feel for myself that i have to eat soup and shakes while everyone around me munches on yumminess! but... that being said... i only have 2 days to go and you too will come to the day that you only have 2 days left! the only way to get through this liquid stage is variety, variety. go out and buy some of the ready to serve yummy soups like knorr carrot/coriander, potato, spring veggies, etc. these are nice and thick and don't taste at all like hospital cream soups! you may want to liquify them down slightly with a bit of milk. if you get something with chunks, just blend it smooth. i like to add a dollop of sour cream for some added richness :D

the other thing i have done when i'm really feeling down is to go and get a small shake somewhere. sipped nice and slowly this will make you feel like you are not missing out on ANYTHING! everyday i count down how many days i have left and this way i see that it gets smaller and smaller ^_^

you can do it!! no more solid cheats - you don't need them and your $7000 surgery is way too important to slip up on just for a couple of crunches.

go liquiders go!!

I am down 12 lbs.

David

Hi there David. I can honestly say that for my 3 weeks of liquids only that I ate thicker chunkier food. I could no way have sucked stuff through a straw like they say to. I don't know what my deal was. I knew better but I ate little amounts of things like mashed potatoes and gravy, and also quite a bit of vegetable soups, potato soups pudding, and stuff like that. I did not put it in a blender and ate it slowly and chewed it up a ton. I was worried that I had damaged the band also and when I got my first fill...Everything was great!!! It is total torture to worry about this. We paid so much money for this band. What the heck were we thinking??? I had horrible gas pains from the surgery and it seemed the only thing that helped it calm down was food with substance.

I am not perfect and never will be. I am down 38 pounds and thrilled about it. (I can't update my weight loss ticker because I don't know my password) Duh!!! Anyways, that is my story and I am happy as heck with the results!!! Good luck to you!!! Natalie

Congrats to both of you. Stay strong on the liquid diet. I strongly believe it will tell the outcome of how successful you will be with the band. Good luck! :D

Congrats to both of you. Stay strong on the liquid diet. I strongly believe it will tell the outcome of how successful you will be with the band. Good luck! :D

Was good today and yesterday on liquids. Not really hungry.

The reason I ate some solids was that it was the only thing that calmed down the gas and acid reflux.

I hope i haven't damaged the band but I am going to be hopeful.

Is anyone else having trouble with this liquid portion?

The poster above with the mashed potatos---thanks for being so honest.

A Burger King Chocolate shake was my treat for the day.

david

The reason I ate some solids was that it was the only thing that calmed down the gas and acid reflux.

david

Thanks Natalie for being so honest.

David

Hi there David. I can honestly say that for my 3 weeks of liquids only that I ate thicker chunkier food. I could no way have sucked stuff through a straw like they say to. I don't know what my deal was. I knew better but I ate little amounts of things like mashed potatoes and gravy, and also quite a bit of vegetable soups, potato soups pudding, and stuff like that. I did not put it in a blender and ate it slowly and chewed it up a ton. I was worried that I had damaged the band also and when I got my first fill...Everything was great!!! It is total torture to worry about this. We paid so much money for this band. What the heck were we thinking??? I had horrible gas pains from the surgery and it seemed the only thing that helped it calm down was food with substance.

I am not perfect and never will be. I am down 38 pounds and thrilled about it. (I can't update my weight loss ticker because I don't know my password) Duh!!! Anyways, that is my story and I am happy as heck with the results!!! Good luck to you!!! Natalie

Thanks for being honest Natalie.

Hi David,

Hang in there!!! You can do it!!

I have found that by having TONS of liquid options I don't feel deprived. Popsicles, drinkable yogurt, protein shakes, cream soups, egg drop soup, gatorade, lemonade, special k protein water, jello, etc. I am FULL and honestly other than the smell of food don't think about it. I am busy deciding what liquid to have next. Sure, I will be glad 9 days from now when I can start solids, but it is such a short time out of our whole lives...I can do it!!! You can too!!

I do admit to licking, chewing and spitting out 3 pretzels yesterday!! It was the smell when I opened the bag for my kids, lol

that chocolate shake can truly take off the cravings - so what if they're high in calories - at this point you're not getting many to begin with and it's far more important to stay away from the solids. whatever it takes baby!

love the pretzel licking. i've licked a few myself :rolleyes: MAKE SURE YOU SPIT IT OUT! actually, once you've licked all the salt off, what remains is kind of yucky anyway.

i'm on my last day of liquids - yay me! this means you will be in my position soon enough!

keep going david :D

david

Hey David don't let anyone make you feel as if you are the only one who has gotten off track on the liquid phase....I am sure more have than will admit to it on this forum. You are strong and brave and yes you will be fine. Just stay on track now and hang in there. We all have been where you are or will be soon. Every day on liquids was a struggle for me. It was terribly difficult especially with a physical job and basically no nutrition to keep you going. I don't think it's a predictor of how you will do on the rest of your diet. I do remember Dr. Ortiz saying that the "most successful" patients are the ones who really stick to it in the first 3 months. This does not say the "only successful" ones so think about it.

Now for the gas and reflux get phazyme, gas-x strips and tums and try them all, doubling the recommended doses. It won't hurt you and perhaps could help. Or even call your local doctor and get a RX for this so you won't have this problem to tease you into eating anything solid. Even just go for the milkshakes if you have to to help you through this. You'll be fine and I urge you to just keep on posting and we will help you through this.

Good luck and keep in touch.

:friends: :lb4:

that chocolate shake can truly take off the cravings - so what if they're high in calories - at this point you're not getting many to begin with and it's far more important to stay away from the solids. whatever it takes baby!

love the pretzel licking. i've licked a few myself :rolleyes: MAKE SURE YOU SPIT IT OUT! actually, once you've licked all the salt off, what remains is kind of yucky anyway.

i'm on my last day of liquids - yay me! this means you will be in my position soon enough!

keep going david :D

Happy day for the Happy girl. Last day of liquids.... :party2: :party2: :party2:

You'll be surprised at how little you can eat so plan it carefully!!

Hi,

I am heading into day 7. I am struggling. Seems like a liquid mountain to climb. and I scare myself about much I think about the different food I can have in 14 days. However, I have lost 10 pounds since surgery (6 -7 days). I hope it is the kind of pounds that stay off. Hopefully losing the weight will motivate me into not binging once I get on solids.

The majority of people have followed the rules of liquids only for the first 3 weeks so you won't get a answer on that. I can tell you that there is a tremendous risk of ruining the surgery if you eat solids before the 3 weeks. That would be why your doctor told you to follow the rules. Didn't you believe him when he said that?

You know I have to agree with Ramona, stick with the three week liquid phase, it's really not that difficult. The first week you don't even feel like eating; the second week you get to go on the creamy soups and that pretty much fills you up. I admit, the last week is a b--ch, but come on, you just spent a bundle on your surgery, why are you going to jeopardize it by eating solids before your supposed to?

I'm probably going to get kicked off of this forum for saying this, but if you can't even go the first three weeks, how are you possibly going to make your band succesful?

And I'm not holier than thou, I'm in the middle of bandster hell and I have a huge problem with not being able to drink when I have a meal and let me tell you, I'm really struggling with it.

This is not a "new diet" we are trying out, this is a major life change. It involved cutting into your body and for most of us, cost a tremendous amount of money; respect those things and give it your all!!!

(I'm really sorry if I've angered or insulted any of you, that is not my intention, I guess I just want all newbies to really listen and do what you are told, follow the instructions/rules if you really want to make this band work for you!)

Hi David,

Hang in there!!! You can do it!!

I have found that by having TONS of liquid options I don't feel deprived. Popsicles, drinkable yogurt, protein shakes, cream soups, egg drop soup, gatorade, lemonade, special k protein water, jello, etc. I am FULL and honestly other than the smell of food don't think about it. I am busy deciding what liquid to have next. Sure, I will be glad 9 days from now when I can start solids, but it is such a short time out of our whole lives...I can do it!!! You can too!!

I do admit to licking, chewing and spitting out 3 pretzels yesterday!! It was the smell when I opened the bag for my kids, lol

Well I haven't been perfect but here are some liquid fun stuff that have kept me sane and somewhat on track.

egg drop soup

muscle milk light blended with ice and a little water or milk.

split pea soup.

lobster bisque

atkins advantage shake in a blender (vanilla) mixed with cantelope and ice

homemade chicken soup strained

and when really really desperate

and I have only done this twice but what a treat

a Burger King Vanilla Shake and a burger king chocolate shake.