What's up with the burping and farting?

Faith2009

Hi...I'm a newbie and am planning my new "birthdate" in late Feb, but am starting to freak out a little bit.

Can someone explain to me what the deal is with all the gas talk?? I am reading a lot of info where people are saying they simply cannot eat these things anymore because they get lots of "gas" or the food gets painfully stuck and/or they throw it up all the time. Yikes!

Are we talking both Burping and Farting??? And I cannot figure out physiologically why would the band make u fart???

Now I am a little scared about all of this. I'm a hand therapist (I work with all kinds of hand injuries) and work every single day up close and personal touching patients. Am I going to turn into the "stinky" therapist?

Also, I shudder to think of how attractive I will be burping out the alphabet when I am on a dinner date with someone.

Hmmm.....any HONEST insight? Thanks :)

most of the gas talk you hear people talking about it right after the surgery for a few weeks - you are pumped full of gas during the surgery to inflate your stomach so they can get in there to do the surgery and afterwards, they cant get it all out, so you have gas pain until you work it out of your system.

it has subsided with me (i am 8 days post op) alot now.... and if I feel it, i just start walking.

I haven't that much more farting, but the burping is constant. I probably burp 200 times a day, no kidding. I don't know if it gets better.

Of course some kinds of food cause more gas than others, so you will need to avoid overeating those kinds. For example, eating a ton of broccoli gives me so much gas in my system it was painful. I can't imagine what eating beans would do!

:) I am only 10 days out from surgery, but have not had the burping or farting, except from the gas right after surgery..

Is the gas and burping something that comes after first fill ????? :huh:

I just got my second fill and man the gas I have is terrible, I keep farting. I have no idea what it is. But I hope it goes away. Geesh. :wacko:

I was banded in October. My gas pain after surgery was very minimal.

I NEVER burp. Infact, sometimes I feel as though I might need to, but nothing ever happens. I never fart either. I might when I am in the bathroom (LOL) but I do not have gas issues at all.

So, all of this is something I don't get.

I eat everything except white bread and steak. I love read meat, but it is just too much work to try to chew up. I stick with ground meat and I eat a lot of it, and a ton of beans. No gas problems!!

thanks for the responses....I guess there is no predicting. I understand that it should not prevent me from having the lapband but I do want to consider it though. I do not work at a desk alone, nor do I have an opportunity to excuse myself if I feel these problems coming on. I work 12+ hrs a day and am trapped in a room with patients, usually in extremely close positions with my hands on them; so I do not have the option of just walking away. It might seem silly to some, but it worries me. I just do not understand physiologically how the lap band can affect gas build up in our large intestines. It would be different if there was some long term solution. ^_^

I'm usually a farting machine, but since my band, a lot of my gas has gone away. Everyone reacts differently to the surgery, just be cautious of new food.

You nailed it Karleigh. Everyone is different and reacts differently to foods. What would agree with you, would not agree with me. It's a trial in error and like CindyLous said, "a small price to pay!"

And Amanda said it true too, using either phazyme, Beano or Gas X strips to assist.

BEAN TIPs: If you are a cook, when cooking beans, soak your beans overnight to "burp" them and do not add salt until the beans are fully cooked because salt will prevent them from becoming tender...

Hi...I'm a newbie and am planning my new "birthdate" in late Feb, but am starting to freak out a little bit.

Can someone explain to me what the deal is with all the gas talk?? I am reading a lot of info where people are saying they simply cannot eat these things anymore because they get lots of "gas" or the food gets painfully stuck and/or they throw it up all the time. Yikes!

Are we talking both Burping and Farting??? And I cannot figure out physiologically why would the band make u fart???

Now I am a little scared about all of this. I'm a hand therapist (I work with all kinds of hand injuries) and work every single day up close and personal touching patients. Am I going to turn into the "stinky" therapist?

Also, I shudder to think of how attractive I will be burping out the alphabet when I am on a dinner date with someone.

Hmmm.....any HONEST insight? Thanks :)

I had my surgery last June and I came on today to look for recipes and advice because I am at a stand still. Very discouraged.

However, I do not fart and I only bubble ( no burps) and I get the hiccups.

If anyone has any advice to curb my sweet tooth (hormonal)?

Thanks! Joni

• 4 weeks later...

It's funny about the gas phenomenon. My daughter and I were banded on the same day. She didn't have any gas issues. I on the other hand thought I might actually explode on the plane trip back home. I had severe shoulder pain, and still get it occasionally (also gas related), she has never had it. The first few days after we arrived back home from surgery I had no idea my lower body could make the sounds that it was making (sorry -TMI). She and I were basically sipping the same broth, drinking the same Crystal Light, etc. I think the only explanation for it is what other folks here have stated--everybody reacts to this procedure differently.

Diana

(P.S. My daughter likes to tease and say I had all the gas issues because Dr Ortiz put the band on an "old" stomach. Kids!! <_< )

Before I was banded I could not burp if you paid me to, now I can let them rip! Not sure what that is about. I also have increased gas out the other end as well, but am able to manage it - not like it just comes out on it's own - I can hold it for when i'm alone! :huh:

I'm actually really glad I can burp now. Before i'd need to but couldn't make myself, now I am good to go!

• 2 weeks later...
The burping has been pretty constant since eating solid food again, but much worse since the first fill.

I really don't mind it though considering how happy I've been since the fill, I just have to watch it around other people!

i am 10 months post op and have lost 60 some pounds i burp a lot i have 5-5 ml in a 10ml band, i also am sick alot if i eat to much, i don't fart much and do suffer constipation alot, i do not take vitamins maybe i should start looking after myself more ?

Well,

As unpleasant as it is, after my 1st fill I starting the burping and farting and lots of hiccuping. I think it may be the fiber. I make sure I get plenty of it in daily, either with Fiber One Bars, Benefiber, or the All Bran Fiber drink mixes. I don't have constipation problems at all.

I teach Middle School Math. And just like Shelby stated, it is not so uncontrollable that I can't wait until I am alone. My students would totally lose it if the teacher farted, so some times I walk around with my butt cheeks clamped tightly together. :huh:

Don't let a little gas stand in the way of having your surgery. Every one is different, you may be one of the lucky ones with very little gas.

I think it may be the fiber. I make sure I get plenty of it in daily, either with Fiber One Bars, Benefiber, or the All Bran Fiber drink mixes. I don't have constipation problems at all.

Not exactly on topic, but, Fiber One Bars may be your primary contributor to the gas issue. I was using them earlier this year & barely made out my classroom door several times. I just went back to Fiber One cereal & have no problems with that now.

Of course I am not banded yet, but I'm definately skipping the Fiber One Bars after my banding. They taste good, but I don't need to be jet-propelled. :rolleyes: