October Surgery Patients

CalKev, I am so glad to hear you did so well !!! I am going on the 23th and having surgery on 24th , I am anxious and hoping for good results. I am on the preop, but I thought Dr Miranda told me to eat 1 Lean Cuisuine for lunch every other day. I did that and I am not so hungry. I hope I did the right thing, i read where every one is drinking Slim fast. Oh well , I drink only slim fast until tomorrow and then a complete fast on monday for the blood work. I did loose weight during this pre op time. Again , Thanks for all your support and congratulations on your successful banding , keep up the good attitude. Elaine

Elaine, Thank you for the kind words. Dr. Miranda works with each person on a one on one basis from my understanding. So if she said to have a lean cuisine every other day your a lucky one. My BMI is high and I needed to drop as much weight as possible before surgery. I did not use slimfast but opted for Atkins and EAS as they were higher in protein and didn't drop me after a few hours.

Then the post-op clear liquids began and where I am currently in the process. I brought child size 4oz. apple juice boxes and mixed with water 50/50 worked great to sip on and keep my blood sugar up. Also bought small Gatorade's to sip on. Packed these in gallon ziplock bags so I had them ready after release from clinic. Both approved by Dr. Miranda.

You will do great! It's over before you know it and your on the plane home. I know your experience will be as good as mine or better. Keep us up to date on your progress! You will be Lap Bander soon! Congratulations to you! Kev

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi, Elaine:

I'm flying in 23rd, surgery the 24th. I'm in Daytona Beach. Look forward to seeing you! What time are you arriving?

Melody, I am leaving fort lauderdale at 6:00am arriving in Atlanta and leaving there at 8:30am and arriving SanDeigo at 10:08am. I am so excited and anxious!! Hope to see you there. Elaine

Hi All!!

We are here at the Lucerna!! It has been wonderful so far!!

Funny... After all you hear about the Tijuana police... We were maybe 5 minutes over the border and we got pulled over... (Mrs. Ortiz was driving) I was quietly freaking out and the police office came up to the car and gave Mrs. Ortiz a BIG KISS! Turns out it was a good friend of hers who is a police officer here and he just wanted to say Hi!! VERY FUNNY!

Anyway, I have met a really nice couple from Nebraska and hope to find Becki and Elaine sometime tonight or tomorrow!!

We will all keep you posted on how we are all doing!!!

Lynn :)

Hi All!!

We are here at the Lucerna!! It has been wonderful so far!!

Funny... After all you hear about the Tijuana police... We were maybe 5 minutes over the border and we got pulled over... (Mrs. Ortiz was driving) I was quietly freaking out and the police office came up to the car and gave Mrs. Ortiz a BIG KISS! Turns out it was a good friend of hers who is a police officer here and he just wanted to say Hi!! VERY FUNNY!

Anyway, I have met a really nice couple from Nebraska and hope to find Becki and Elaine sometime tonight or tomorrow!!

We will all keep you posted on how we are all doing!!!

Lynn :)

Lynn so glad you are safe in TJ. Hope you get some sleep tonight and when you get back to the Lucerna after banding try the chicken broth in the lobby restaurant. Hit's the spot after juice and Popsicles at the clinic. Best wishes for a successful band day! CalKev

Hey everybody! I'm new here. I go in on the 30th. Mine is in Elkhart, IN. I was 10 days into my preop diet and supposed to be banded by now, but I had emergency back surgery instead! I had to start over on the pre op diet now and it is harder than ever. I can hardly stand the protein shakes. Been cheating a little..I'll get serious now. It's getting too close to be cheating. I have already lost 30lbs just on that diet. I am most nervous about the post op liquids based on some of the struggles I've read on this site. Could someone clarify how long you need to be on clear liquid? When do you switch to soft or"mushy" I think it's called? Can you start solids after four weeks? What is eating like after a few months? I have heard lettuce is off limits. It supposedly gets stuck? Is this true. I'll miss salads! Oh well. I like to look at myself a little more in the mirror after having already lost 30. Can't imagine how much I'll enjoy losing 70 more over time. Any advice or encouragement is welcome as I am getting more nervous by the day. Thanks all. -Phil

Hey everybody! I'm new here. I go in on the 30th. Mine is in Elkhart, IN. I was 10 days into my preop diet and supposed to be banded by now, but I had emergency back surgery instead! I had to start over on the pre op diet now and it is harder than ever. I can hardly stand the protein shakes. Been cheating a little..I'll get serious now. It's getting too close to be cheating. I have already lost 30lbs just on that diet. I am most nervous about the post op liquids based on some of the struggles I've read on this site. Could someone clarify how long you need to be on clear liquid? When do you switch to soft or"mushy" I think it's called? Can you start solids after four weeks? What is eating like after a few months? I have heard lettuce is off limits. It supposedly gets stuck? Is this true. I'll miss salads! Oh well. I like to look at myself a little more in the mirror after having already lost 30. Can't imagine how much I'll enjoy losing 70 more over time. Any advice or encouragement is welcome as I am getting more nervous by the day. Thanks all. -Phil

Hello Phil,

Regarding your post-op diet questions, different surgeons will have different post-op diets, so check with your doctor to find out what he wants you to do. This forum is centered around a specific clinic so we can't really advise you on what your Dr will do but we are certainly happy to hear from you or provide some encouragement when things get tough. When I was down for my surgery they gave me an information packet detailing what I could eat when, so it's reasonable to expect they will do the same with you. Also I'm sure they wouldn't mind a phone call from you to answer these questions before you walk in the front door.

Good luck and I hope your back is feeling better.

Hello again!

I had my surgery late this morning.... Not a big deal at all!! I think I was in there maybe 20 minutes (Dr. Ortiz found a hiatial hernia and fixed it. I have very little pain, just the occasional gas pang, but that goes away with a little walking.

Everyone here is so wonderful!! They are all VERY concerned about how you are doing and want to make sure you are comfortable. This is just something you can not find in the states!

Good luck to all of the other October bandsters- you will not regret having this surgery one bit!

More later.... I need to walk back to my bed for a nap!