October Surgery Patients

Kevin, good for you for making the changes. I had similar family experiences in the last year. YOu can read about it in the experiences section, I was banded on August 28th. In the week before, an aunt and an uncle both had heart attacks in their early 50's. One had made major life changes and did very well through bypass surgery, the other never took his health seriously (and still isn't), and has had a lot of problems. I am determined to do everything I can to make myself healthier, and to save my kids. I am making them eat healthier, and get some exercise with me. They don't like it right now, but I know they will appreciate what I am doing. I can't wait to let my real self (my healthy self) get free from this trap it is stuck in. I feel like a butterfly breaking free from it's coccoon. I can't wait to see my wings and to learn to fly.

Best of luck. And good for you for working so hard and taking it seriously before you even get to the pre-op diet. You will do great.

Becki

Becki

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

T-Cat, We each are coming from a different place and time in our lives. If you are one of the lucky ones that can live it up with food before surgery and switch over to eating very little aftwards good for you. I am just getting a running start because that is how I need to do it. Plus you have much less to lose to be healthy - I should be so lucky. We are all Band Fans but with different BMI's. I'd trade spots with you weight wise anyday.

Good Luck with your banding and please let us know how it goes!

Kevin

:rolleyes:

:rolleyes: Okay that is one person I will be looking for -----yeah ;) I actually will be there onthe 16th for pre ops so maybe i will see you then.....

Cyndi, When do you arrive at the hotel? I will be ther between 4pm and 5:30pm. So far we have a group of 5 including family meeting the evening of the 15th to toast our overnight fast with a glass of Perrrier. We are proposing 6:30pm in Lobby to meet and then find a place there to indulge in carbonation. Can you join us?

Kevin

[color=#333399

You are right on course with your children and more power to you. How far are you from your goal? And what is your goal? I have decided being healthy is mine and not necessarily having the fat percentage of an athlete. Hey that may come with lots of work and time but for now living a happy healthy life is what my lifestyle is and will be.

I have said this in several posts but I have learned most of us don

Becki - Congratulations on the weight loss! Genentics do play a roll - My biological mother who I met a couple years ago is built just like me accept she wears a dress, make-up and her hair is much longer than mine. She found me - long story. But my whole genetically related clan are big people come to find out.

You are lucky you are not as genetically challenged as I.

My surgery date is October 20th. I'm flying in from Oklahoma on the 19th. My best friend is coming with me. She is starting the bandster process with a surgeon in Tulsa. Her insurance covers WLS and she is waiting to hear if they will approve her surgery. If it doesn't get approved she will schedule with Dr. Ortiz.

Hi!

I'm getting my surgery on October 19th so I will look for you at the center. I'm flying in from Savannah,GA on the 17th - my family lives in San Diego. Then my mom is taking me down for pre-op exams on Weds. I'm glad she'll be there to support me. I'm glad you have a friend coming with you; I think it's comforting to have someone with you. My mom is a nurse and also knows three people who have had the lap band surgery; one of her best friends had it done by Dr. Ortiz. Her friend was really happy with the surgery and all. I've never had any kind of surgery before so I'm kind of anxious about being put under. Other than that I'm pretty excited about it all.

My name is Kitty and my surgery date is Oct. 12. My husband & I are flying in from Texas late on the 10th. My surgery will be somewhat more difficult because it is a re-do. In 1981, I had my stomach stapled and it never worked right. I'm 57 now so I figure it's now or never. Good luck to all of you.

Cyndi, When do you arrive at the hotel? I will be ther between 4pm and 5:30pm. So far we have a group of 5 including family meeting the evening of the 15th to toast our overnight fast with a glass of Perrrier. We are proposing 6:30pm in Lobby to meet and then find a place there to indulge in carbonation. Can you join us?

Kevin

gosh that sounds great but I don't fly in till Monday morning - :(

Becki - Congratulations on the weight loss! Genentics do play a roll - My biological mother who I met a couple years ago is built just like me accept she wears a dress, make-up and her hair is much longer than mine. She found me - long story. But my whole genetically related clan are big people come to find out.

You are lucky you are not as genetically challenged as I.

I am lucky, most of my families history of health problem is directly related to how we eat. There is some history of diabetes and heart disease though. I am anxious to be doing something about both of those. I guess I felt kind of invincible in my younger years, but now realize how precious live is, every minute of it.

Isn't it interesting how much our genetics factor into who we are. I am a psychology major, and that was one of the most interesting topics to me. But too many people use it as an excuse. We are handed certain genetic traits, but what we do with them is our responsibility.

Good luck on your pre-op diet. You are getting close!!

Becki

Hi!

I'm getting my surgery on October 19th so I will look for you at the center. I'm flying in from Savannah,GA on the 17th - my family lives in San Diego. Then my mom is taking me down for pre-op exams on Weds. I'm glad she'll be there to support me. I'm glad you have a friend coming with you; I think it's comforting to have someone with you. My mom is a nurse and also knows three people who have had the lap band surgery; one of her best friends had it done by Dr. Ortiz. Her friend was really happy with the surgery and all. I've never had any kind of surgery before so I'm kind of anxious about being put under. Other than that I'm pretty excited about it all.

Hi Karen! I will look for you while I am there. I am glad your mom is going with you.

I am trying for the 23rd of October myself. Right now I am trying to figure out how to get the ticker count downs loaded up???

weightloss.png

Okay I think I figured it out.

Hi, I am coming to the center on Oct. 23 and having the surgery on the 24th. I am so scared!! I am coming in from Pompano Beach , fl. where are you coming from? I already heard from someone named Lynn who is having surgery the same day as we are. Good luck to you, and i hope to see you on the 24th. Elaine

Hi, I am coming to the center on Oct. 23 and having the surgery on the 24th. I am so scared!! I am coming in from Pompano Beach , fl. where are you coming from? I already heard from someone named Lynn who is having surgery the same day as we are. Good luck to you, and i hope to see you on the 24th. Elaine

Elaine,

I had surgery the end of August, but will be back with a friend having surgery on the 23rd, then I will get a fill on the 24th. I'm sure I will run into you there, probably in the waiting room. Don't be scared. It will go very well, I'm sure. Feel free to email me if you have any questions or concerns I might be able to help you with.

Becki

Elaine,

I had surgery the end of August, but will be back with a friend having surgery on the 23rd, then I will get a fill on the 24th. I'm sure I will run into you there, probably in the waiting room. Don't be scared. It will go very well, I'm sure. Feel free to email me if you have any questions or concerns I might be able to help you with.

Becki

Hi Becky, so glad to hear from you, i will definately look for you on the 24th . I would like to ask you how you did on the pre-surgery 7 day diet. I have not yet called Dr Miranda to get all the facts. My understanding so far is I drink Slim Fast every day for 7 days for Breakfast, lunch and dinner, hopefully I don't get a migraine headache from it. I am ready for it though. I must admit i have been eating all the sweets I can get my hands on. I really must stop, i feel so tired from all that garbage and I really don't want to gain more weight !! How did you do on the Slim Fast? My husband is coming with me so I do have support, but he says things like "don't be scared , you are doing something good for yourself, be glad of that" I suppose hhe is right, we really did make a life changing decision with this , didn't we? I am so mixed up inside due to my history of failure on every diet and every program I attempted. This is the most drastic, locking my stomach up for crying out loud !!! Oh well I do need something drastic because I just can't stop eating sweets. Write back , i loved hearing from you. Elaine

Just wanted to update...I had my surgery 10/3 and feeling much better! Good Luck

Hey Mandy,

Glad to hear you're feeling better. I'm feeling pretty good, just a little sore and occassionally getting gas pains. Not feeling physically hungry as of yet, but getting some serious head hunger yesterday and today. Just gotta keep busy and it goes away pretty easy. My apartment is beginning to *sparkle*

- Corey

Hi Cyndi,

I am also in AZ and will be arriving at the center on Oct 11th and banded on the 12th. Where will you be getting your fills? Do you know how much they cost and how often you have to get them?

Nicole

Hi Cyndi and Nicole. My name is Kitty and my date is scheduled for the 12th also, and I will be flying in from Texas the 10th. So I'm sure I'll see yall. I got my stomach stapled in 1981 and it didn't work, so my surgery will be a little more difficult. I just hope I don't get there and find out I can't have it because of too much scar tissue. Hope to see you both soon. Good luck.

Is there anyone out there who is getting banded on the 9th of Oct? That is my surgery date. I live in Maryville, TN and I am excited about the surgery. I am nervous, especially after reading some of the posts on this site. I will do my best to follow the program and make sure that I exercise. I had to take out a second on my house to pay for this, since my insurance won't pay. I have enough money for 2 fills and hopefully I will be able to save enough for the rest of them. I will be reading a lot, and I am grateful that this is here so I can avoid some of the situations brought up here. I hope to write a cook book for bandsters, I did buy one from amazon.com along with Dr. Ortiz's book, which I should be getting in a few days. :) Please let me know if someone is getting banded on that day or close to it.

Hi Cheryl, My name is Sherry and I live in Florida and was banded on Oct 2. I just started my liquids yesterday. Saw my surgeon yesterday 2 for first post op appt and was down 10lbs in one week. Email me if you'd like.

:rolleyes: I just got my surgery date for October 31. I have enjoyed reading the posts here, however my surgery will be in Clinton, IL and thankfully, my insurance is paying for it. I will be on a 2 week liquid diet before the surgery, so I have a week to eat everything my heart desires. My fills will also be covered by the insurance, but I have not heard of anyone paying for them here, the first year must be included in the fee.

Terri

Hi Becky, so glad to hear from you, i will definately look for you on the 24th . I would like to ask you how you did on the pre-surgery 7 day diet. I have not yet called Dr Miranda to get all the facts. My understanding so far is I drink Slim Fast every day for 7 days for Breakfast, lunch and dinner, hopefully I don't get a migraine headache from it. I am ready for it though. I must admit i have been eating all the sweets I can get my hands on. I really must stop, i feel so tired from all that garbage and I really don't want to gain more weight !! How did you do on the Slim Fast? My husband is coming with me so I do have support, but he says things like "don't be scared , you are doing something good for yourself, be glad of that" I suppose hhe is right, we really did make a life changing decision with this , didn't we? I am so mixed up inside due to my history of failure on every diet and every program I attempted. This is the most drastic, locking my stomach up for crying out loud !!! Oh well I do need something drastic because I just can't stop eating sweets. Write back , i loved hearing from you. Elaine

Elaine,

I am so sorry it has taken me so long to respond to you. I am usually on here daily. I apologize.

I had a hard time the first three days of the pre-op diet. Dr. Miranda told me that I could have 3-4 shakes a day, plus up to 4 pounds of green veggies (lettuce with balsamic vinegar). I absolutely hated the salad. But I love broccoli, so I ate a lot of it. I cooked as much as my steamer would hold, and I ate that every night for dinner. It helped to use a fork and be able to sit down to dinner with my family.

I also started drinking 1/2 a slimfast at a time. Oh, and I really liked the Safeway brand the best. I would drink half, then have a big glass of water. And I sipped. It used to be that I could down a slimfast in 30 seconds. but I slowed down a lot, and made my sips last. That really helped me get through. I can have willpower for a few weeks, but I couldn't live that way. I knew it was my chance to be healthy, so I concentrated on that when my stomach would growl. I also got on the scale a lot. It made it much more tolerable because I was losing weight, and knowing I would never see those numbers again.

I am arriving on Sunday, the 22nd at about 5:30. My aunt is having surgery on the 23rd, so I will see all of you there that day, either for surgery or pre-ops. Then we will be back because I am having a fill on the 24th. I would love to get together for "dinner" if anyone is interested during this time.

If you want, you could read about my experiences in the newly banded section. "banded on August 28th". Feel free to ask any questions though, I had a million and really appreciated all the help and advice.

Good luck, and I wil see you soon.

Becki