2 concerns

I am so mad at myself right now I could cry. I was banded on tues and have had diarrhea since and today I needed to take some meds and had to crush them and so I ate yogurt, just enough to get the pills down I was doing so well and was actually quite proud of myself

just needed to vent

and how long before it stops felling like my inside is ripping when I move??

Stacey

Oh girl -

Go down or have someone go down to the store and get Imodium AD Liquid this should help. I had the same problem for about a week after banding this stuff helped me out.

Then when you start on solids again you may have the reversal effect. This is not great either. But once you body adjust to the band everything will get back to normal.

You will start feeling better soon. Just remember to drink enough liquids and walk, the walking helped me a lot even if it was just down the block and back home. Everyone is different. Only time will tell. Again sip, sip, sip and walk, walk, walk.

Best of luck

Bobbi

Don't beat yourself up over having some yogurt....Liquid Immodium would work like a charm. Everything should settle down soon. Hang in there.

Hi Stacey! Sorry to hear about your diarrhea. I hear it's very common. I have no experience to share on that front. However, I would be willing to bet big bucks that a mouthful of yogurt didn't hurt you. I too had to take meds tonight for a headache. I crushed a tylenol and mixed it in a shot glass half full of crystal light. Mixed as well as I could and slammed it down while holding my nose plugged. :P I had a popsickle ready to cover the taste before unplugging my nose.

As far as your other question I would call OCC and ask. I don't have much discomfort at all. In fact last night I slept on my stomach. Don't get me wrong, I know somethings been done in that area. Maybe because I have had 9 previous abdominal surgeries. I consider myself a whimp when it comes to pain so I would call them if I were you. Let us know how you make out.

:lb4: It will get better

Stacey,

Suck it up, I was constipated and didn't go for ten days after surgery! Just kidding, I don't mean the "suck it up" part, I'm sure having the runs is just as bad as not going at all. I'm six weeks out from my surgery and I'm finally regulating myself, but it takes me having to take fiber every day. I bought the chewable Benefiber and I chew up about six of those every morning and then by the next morning I go. So I'm finally pretty regular - thank God!

I had my annual "female" check up this week and my OB GYN told me I have to have a colonoscopy - my husband just had to do that and Oh my God, I'm not looking forward to the pre-cleansing that I'm going to have to go through (other than maybe I'll lose a pound or two!). I used to be addicted to Correctol - bad scene, It controlled my life for about 4 years - I just hope I didn't damage something from doing that. Anyway, wish me luck!

And, good luck to you, I hope it goes away soon!

Hi, sorry about how bad you have been feeling! I can answer that some pulling feeling on the inside is normal after abdominal surgery. I feel pulling now if I try to lay on my side or when I get up and down. I am 8 days out from the surgery.

I also had ALOT of that pulling feeling for weeks after I had a c-section several years ago. The doctor told me at the time that is just part of the healing process. Do you still have any pain pills left? If not, you might ask the OCC if there is anything you can take to make you more comfortable.

I have also heard that if you drink juices to water them down or they will give you the runs. Not sure if that helps, but thought I'd share.

Hang in there!!

Oh Stacey don't be so hard on yourself for a dab of yogurt you needed to take some meds. On the 4th day post-op liquid yogurts are ok anyway.

I can't answer to the feelings you are having described as "feeling like my inside is ripping when I move". I just chalk it up to the healing process and the new band inside and the port all getting settled into your body. As you move you use your muscles and this will cause these things to shift perhaps giving you the "ripping" feeling. Give it a few more days.

I hope you are feeling better.

:kiss3:

I was banded the same day as you. Although I haven't had the diahrreha problems, I have been constipated. But I'm not uncomfortable. I take that back, I did poop a pebble. LOL! And I was just coming on to the board to ask the same question about my port. I can really feel it today and it kinda hurts. It's really tender, more tender than it's been all week. I too fell like it is pulling, but I think that is just part of the healing. As our stomachs and skin shrinks, the port will settle nicely. Yesterday I had 4 potato chips, chewed them like crazy, just to see if I could get them down without a problem. No problem. I also made a delicious soup for my family and a couple kernels of corn and peas made it on the spoon. I didn't kick them off, but I chewed the heck out of them and they went down fine. I was actually super full after eating that. I find that I am so full it's ridiculous. Anyway, Just wanted you to know that I'm hainvg the same port issue. Maybe he was running low on tubing that day? LOL!!!

I'm not hungry but I don't know if I feel restricted and I feel like I could eat anything but I'm not. i did eat a bite of corn on the cob last night just to try it but I just suck on sugar free pop sicles all day. My port is sore and I just want to be able to sleep on my side lol

I was banded the same day as you. Although I haven't had the diahrreha problems, I have been constipated. But I'm not uncomfortable. I take that back, I did poop a pebble. LOL! And I was just coming on to the board to ask the same question about my port. I can really feel it today and it kinda hurts. It's really tender, more tender than it's been all week. I too fell like it is pulling, but I think that is just part of the healing. As our stomachs and skin shrinks, the port will settle nicely. Yesterday I had 4 potato chips, chewed them like crazy, just to see if I could get them down without a problem. No problem. I also made a delicious soup for my family and a couple kernels of corn and peas made it on the spoon. I didn't kick them off, but I chewed the heck out of them and they went down fine. I was actually super full after eating that. I find that I am so full it's ridiculous. Anyway, Just wanted you to know that I'm hainvg the same port issue. Maybe he was running low on tubing that day? LOL!!!

GF, your band is only 5 days old! You are officially testing your band. Glad you're healing nicely, now back to liquids, no chunks.

Hey Stacey...

It's Elaina. I too had diahhrea the first two days. I first had it after some apple juice. It was just too sweet for my belly. I even diluuted it and I still got it. So, maybe just re-evaluate the juices you are drinking. Also, part of it is due to the clear liquids going right through you. Linda (aka Phoenix) explained to me that the clear liquids phase is like a detox and diahrrea is one aspect of a detox. I too also have felt VERY sore. The gas pains are unbearable at times. Hang in there. I have been crushing my pills and adding them to gatorade. It is fine to do that. The reason they want us to stay away from solid foods is to let the stomach heal. That is very important. Even cottage cheese coudl make the band slip. The first two weeks are crucial healing weeks for our stomach. Don't worry about the yogurt. But I would forgo it for now till the solid food stage. Try the drinakable yogurt. Dannon has a good one. It will say right on the package...DRINKABLE YOGURT. How are you otherwise? ;)

I am so mad at myself right now I could cry. I was banded on tues and have had diarrhea since and today I needed to take some meds and had to crush them and so I ate yogurt, just enough to get the pills down I was doing so well and was actually quite proud of myself

just needed to vent

and how long before it stops felling like my inside is ripping when I move??

Stacey

I am doing well I have lost 6lbs and i forgot to put on there it was drinkable yogurt. I am just confused between the calendar and the instruction sheet they don't match up

day 8 and 9 are clear liquids and yogurt?

then on day 10 I ad the protein drink and full liquids until day 21?

Maybe my lack of constatnly stuffing things in my face has confused me but I just wanted to make sure!

My diarrhea is not as bad anymore, I have not been drinking any juice at all, I had some on the plane but 3 sips and I was done so like you said I think it the detoxing thing, I didn't think after 6 days of no solids there could be anything in there! LOL

Stacey, I was confused by the calendar too so I emailed Dr. Miranda to clarify it for me. Here is her response:

"YEs you may add the drinkable yogurt and the shakes tomorrow, hydration is crucial Dr. MIRanda". She sent me this on friday so I added yogurt on saturday. It gave me wicked gas. I am so looking forward to the creamy soup. I have never been a soup person but boy it sounds so good to me now!

For all of you, I have to recommend kefir.

It's a liquid yogurt with (at least) 11 kinds of live probiotics. It will help to repopulate your GI tract with helpful bacteria. It will help both with gas and with "the runs".

I prefer flavored...otherwise it's like drinking unsweetened yogurt mixed with buttermilk. Not my gig ;-)

I must have downed a quart in two days when I was allowed "unclear" liquids. Each little cup full, my body said "THANKS!"

Hi calcium, hi protein, hi bioflora. I found it at Fresh & Easy, Trader Joe's, and a Polish bakery.

I unfortunately had constipation instead of diarrhea, it sucked also

As far as pain around the port area, I had noticed that if I layed on my side or something like that, it felt like something was ripping, so I think it may be normal. If you feel uncomfortable at all, I would call OCC and just ask them. It may put your mind to rest, which is worth it.

Best of luck

I unfortunately had constipation instead of diarrhea, it sucked also

As far as pain around the port area, I had noticed that if I layed on my side or something like that, it felt like something was ripping, so I think it may be normal. If you feel uncomfortable at all, I would call OCC and just ask them. It may put your mind to rest, which is worth it.

Best of luck

Ok so let me get this straight. I am grossing out here. When I get my band, I am going to have diarreria. Oh my gross. Now my concern is will it be controllable. Not to be gross but I have had the wattery kind you cant control. I dont want anything to do with that. I plan on going back to work after I have this done. Are you telling me that for weeks after this I am going to be pooping my brains out. Please tell me this will be controllable. UG

When you're on clear liquids, generally one of two things happens:

a) nothing. No solids in, nothing out. You get bunny poops.

B) the runs. No solids in, no solids out. It's sort of like a colon cleanse. Clear liquids go in, clear liquids (plus colon stuff) come out.

Depends on your personal colon. If you're in a high humidity climate, you're liklier to see the runs. If you're in a low humidity climate, you're liklier to see bunny poops.

When you're on clear liquids, generally one of two things happens:

a) nothing. No solids in, nothing out. You get bunny poops.

B) the runs. No solids in, no solids out. It's sort of like a colon cleanse. Clear liquids go in, clear liquids (plus colon stuff) come out.

Depends on your personal colon. If you're in a high humidity climate, you're liklier to see the runs. If you're in a low humidity climate, you're liklier to see bunny poops.

I better warn my husband, thank goodness we have two bathrooms. We both plan to go back to work afterwards. This is not going to be fun at all.