Taz's Step Challenge

Ladies and gentlemen, I have a challenge for us all.

Most of us have had a bad relationship with food. Being banded, we have tackled that challenge head on. And we should all be proud.

However, although our body is our temple, many still treat it as frat house. The board is filled of successes and failures related to alot of emotional cheating, always around food.

Rarely do we talk about exercise though. We got to move. That's what our bodies are for. So I am starting a challenge for November to all my fellow bandsters.

Get out and move. Walk. Run. Whatever you like. But track it.

Go buy a pedometer. Not one of those cheap ones from your Special K box.. but a real one. They range anywhere for $10 to $50 and can be picked up at your local pharmacy. If you can, get one that resets itself every day, and may even have a memory to store the last 7 days. I use an Omron I got for $15 and it works aweseome. Set it up properly for your height and hook it to your pants when you get up, and really see how you do. I noticed I was only moving about 1000 steps a day. And over the last two weeks I have enjoyed the challenge of increasing that.

And here comes the real challenge to you. Join me in stepping a MINIMUM of 5000 steps a day. And at least once a week, shoot to blow that 5000 number a day. Dr. Ortiz says we should be walking around 10,000 steps a day, but I would bet many of us aren't.

This is a good NSV. Every day you break 10,000 steps, I want you to post here and let us know. Let's see how many people do that this month.

So whose ready to take me up on my challenge? Don't do it for me. Or for the challenge. But for YOU. YOU DESERVE IT.

Walk loud and proud. And live with the passion you deserve!

Taz

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OMG! INEED this challenge Taz! I would like to try to at least do the 5000 mark daily starting off as I hate to walk. I want to get one of those pedometer you mentioned. WHERE did you buy your Omron? Also, I got to get me a iPod so I can listen to music while doing this challenge.

THANKS TAZ for challenge me ~ it's so hard for me to NOT pick up one!

OMG! INEED this challenge Taz! I would like to try to at least do the 5000 mark daily starting off as I hate to walk. I want to get one of those pedometer you mentioned. WHERE did you buy your Omron? Also, I got to get me a iPod so I can listen to music while doing this challenge.

THANKS TAZ for challenge me ~ it's so hard for me to NOT pick up one!

Hey Jazzy,

I bought mine at a RiteAid in Bellingham as I was driving back to Canada after my surgery. It's an amazing little device. It small enough no one notices me wearing it, and I seem to challenge myself because of it. The numbers don't lie. It tells me what I am doing. And like I said, it was only $15. Great investment if you ask me.

The actual name of the device is an OMRON HJ-105. Amazon has it for about $17 (http://www.amazon.com/Omron-HJ-105-Pedometer-Calorie-Counter/dp/B00006WNPY)

Taz

So this evening, my daughter reminded me that if I am going to make a challenge... I have to exceed it myself.

So instead of driving to the video store, we walked. And for the first time in two weeks since I started watching my step count, I broke 10,000!

step10000.jpg

Whose next?

Taz

I'm in I love it! I'll be a bit slow for the next week as i'm healing, but as I get to full speed it's on!!!

I think this is a fantastic idea! I love challenges they keep me going!!!

I'm in I love it! I'll be a bit slow for the next week as i'm healing, but as I get to full speed it's on!!!

I think this is a fantastic idea! I love challenges they keep me going!!!

Welcome aboard! The pedometer will REALLY help. When I started, I first just checked what I do normally. Was around 1000 to 1500 steps. Then I targeted for 3000. Then 5000. And now I know 10,000 isn't impossible.

Looking forward to hearing how you do.

Taz

Taz...are you saying you did over 10,000 steps in ONE day? AMAZING!!! That is AWESOME!

OK, so I called ahead to Rite Aid and ask about the OMRON HJ 105 Pedometer and they had just ONE left - what luck! I got there after work and was very surpirsed and happy at how little it was and not so bulky! That's a plus for me and it had a 'smoothe' surface as not to feel roughness against my skin when wearing it on the waistband of my slacks.

Secondly, I just ordered my WalkFit insoles I saw on TV infomercial for the 'comfort' of my feet!

Third, I am having my daughter put some music in my new iPod so I won't be so bored walking today.

SO, I am on the road to success! Again, thanks Taz for this challenge that is going to make a huge difference in my band life!

Taz...are you saying you did over 10,000 steps in ONE day? AMAZING!!! That is AWESOME!

OK, so I called ahead to Rite Aid and ask about the OMRON HJ 105 Pedometer and they had just ONE left - what luck! I got there after work and was very surpirsed and happy at how little it was and not so bulky! That's a plus for me and it had a 'smoothe' surface as not to feel roughness against my skin when wearing it on the waistband of my slacks.

Secondly, I just ordered my WalkFit insoles I saw on TV infomercial for the 'comfort' of my feet!

Third, I am having my daughter put some music in my new iPod so I won't be so bored walking today.

SO, I am on the road to success! Again, thanks Taz for this challenge that is going to make a huge difference in my band life!

Yep. 10,000 in one day. Was a great accomplishment. And now that I know it can be done, I am making it a personal requirement to do that at least once a week!

Glad to hear you got the pedometer. And happy to hear the efforts you are putting out. The iPod is a great idea. I use my iPhone, crank up the tunes (AC/DC fan... so an appropriate "beat" to walk to) and just walk.

Can't wait to hear about your first 5000 milestone. And then 10,000!!

Taz

Oh, I am so in! My surgery date is Nov 11th but I want to start a good routine now. Not to mention, with the time change the dogs were expecting to be fed at 5:00 AM. So, I think we will be going for our walk first THEN they can come home and eat breakfast.

Well, let me get to the first 1000 steps first. I am not sure how my 'daily work steps' are going to be. As I sit behind a computer all day long! But I have a half hr lunch and then after work hrs (I get off at 3pm) is when I put forth my efforts.

GREAT idea Taz for suggesting this. This is a GREAT start for the newly banded! You got me sooo jazz about doing this and I HATE walking! So, yes, this is a big deal for me but I love the idea of challenges that thrives me on. So, I don't know if I love ya or hate ya at the moment! LOL

I just know that this is a mean to get up and go and it's for my health and so on. See you on the walk path!

Fantastic! There is a Walgreens on my way home from work so i'll see what they have. They should have a decent selection. I also have a desk job and don't move around a lot except going to meetings, but once i'm feeling better i'm going to take the boxes of my treadmill and start using it! :rolleyes:

Fantastic! There is a Walgreens on my way home from work so i'll see what they have. They should have a decent selection. I also have a desk job and don't move around a lot except going to meetings, but once i'm feeling better i'm going to take the boxes of my treadmill and start using it! :rolleyes:

I have a desk job too where I am in front of a computer all day or in meetings. The first few days I had my pedometer I watched extra closely just how many steps I take in a normal day if I make no extra effort. It was sad. Only like a thousand to 1500 steps a day. It was then I realized that the goal Dr. Ortiz wants of 10,000 steps a day is going to take effort. So at lunch I walk around the block before I drink my soup. And when I get home I walk around the neighbourhood before stopping by the mailbox to pick up the mail. All of a sudden, I am averaging 3000 to 5000 steps without any real effort.

I am not much of a walker, and the Canadian winter isn't going to make that any easier. Especially with all the Vancouver rain. However, walking isn't "difficult". Just occupy your mind with something else (music, good conversation with a friend etc), and you will be stepping in no time.

Thanks for taking on the challenge. I was disappointed to see so little interest from fellow bandsters on such a simple challenge that aligns with Dr. Ortiz's recommendations anyways. I am guessing the thought of actually exercising with something as simple as walking just isn't a real motivator. At least not yet.

But no matter. The few of us that are becoming pedometer fans will see the benefits of the challenge. And more importantly... the results. I am already feeling better... getting more fresh air and getting a better relationship with my body. So far today I am at 5835 steps, and plan to walk another few thousand steps tonight. The pedometer is my motivator... screaming at me that I can take more steps. It's not that hard. I LOVE IT.

Welcome to the Step Challenge!

Taz

Hi Taz...don't worry about how little the participation is right now...we have a lot of browsers and some don't like to post. That's cool...

I am surprise at how many steps I actually take around the 'work zone'...only 589 steps and that was bare minimal doing! I, too, am going to use my lunch hr to walk to the beach (I am only about 900 feet from it) and when I get home, to walk around the block a few times. Now, that I am curious to see how many steps that is.

This is great. I want to do a race someday but don't know how just yet to post this fun adventure.

I am in! I think it is a great idea. I will have to get a pedometer as well.

I just back on since early this morning, so many people may be the same way. The weekends are a little slower on the forum.

Agreed...a lot of people might not be on here much considering it was Halloween and on Sundays it seems a bit quieter in here. I'll try to walk as much as I can at work, but unfortunately most days I don't get a lunch break and just eat at my desk while working. But once i'm feeling a bit better (port is still really sore) i'm going to get on my treadmill and start walking. It has a TV right in front of it so I have no excuse. I can watch my TV shows and walk. Although I have to be careful, watching sports and walking on a treadmill has almost caused me to fall off my treadmill a couple times! :o

I haven't been banded yet... I'm scheduled with the OCC for 12.04.08. But, I am working with Dr. Miranda on getting my weight down before my surgery... so, if it is okay that I haven't been banded yet I would love to join in. I'll have to pick up a pedometer this week.

Kristy

Taz, I have used a pedometer for a few months since I got banded. It truly upped my motivation to get walking more. As a nurse my first day at work I logged in over 10,000 step in one shift!!! I'll have to up my expectations since I do walk so much at work, thankfully. I am actually taking a medical leave now so I will have to force myself to get out and do this. Not just getting it done easily at work but I will have to work at it. Great idea, this is what a support forum is all about!!!

I have a desk job too where I am in front of a computer all day or in meetings. The first few days I had my pedometer I watched extra closely just how many steps I take in a normal day if I make no extra effort. It was sad. Only like a thousand to 1500 steps a day. It was then I realized that the goal Dr. Ortiz wants of 10,000 steps a day is going to take effort. So at lunch I walk around the block before I drink my soup. And when I get home I walk around the neighbourhood before stopping by the mailbox to pick up the mail. All of a sudden, I am averaging 3000 to 5000 steps without any real effort.

I am not much of a walker, and the Canadian winter isn't going to make that any easier. Especially with all the Vancouver rain. However, walking isn't "difficult". Just occupy your mind with something else (music, good conversation with a friend etc), and you will be stepping in no time.

Thanks for taking on the challenge. I was disappointed to see so little interest from fellow bandsters on such a simple challenge that aligns with Dr. Ortiz's recommendations anyways. I am guessing the thought of actually exercising with something as simple as walking just isn't a real motivator. At least not yet.

But no matter. The few of us that are becoming pedometer fans will see the benefits of the challenge. And more importantly... the results. I am already feeling better... getting more fresh air and getting a better relationship with my body. So far today I am at 5835 steps, and plan to walk another few thousand steps tonight. The pedometer is my motivator... screaming at me that I can take more steps. It's not that hard. I LOVE IT.

Welcome to the Step Challenge!

Taz

We had the same challenge going on a couple of months back. There wasn't too much interest in it then either. I mean, a lot of people started with it but then didn't follow up or continue. At the time, I was in a walking contest at work and was walking in excess of 25,000 steps a day. That may have scared some people off, I don't know. But, I did make it clear I was in a contest and was deliberately walking as much as I could to win. A few other people were involved but not too many.

That being said, you should wear the pedometer the entire day, from the moment you get up until the moment you go to bed. 10,000 a day is the minimum that every one should be walking. That is not the amount for weight loss, it is the amount for good heart function. Anything over that is for weight loss. It may be hard to get up to 10,000 a day for sedentary people, but you need to get up to that amount as soon as possible to reap the benefits. But, as long as you wear the pedometer every waking minute, 10,000 isn't as hard as it sounds. Don't get discouraged, just get moving!!

If I can find a decent pedometer, I'll join up again too. I always enjoy a good challenge. Just need to get to store and find one. All my old ones broke.

Hi Taz,

This is Coreen from Florida (banded with you). I will be going out to get a pedometer asap! I walk around the baseball field during my boy's practices. I would be curious as to how many steps I am taking. Email me and let me know how you have been doing. swalesfcc@comcast.net

weight.png

OK I got my pedometer tonight! had to go to two different places and unfortunately they only had two options but I think the one I got will be good. I'll get it out of the box and check it out tonight. I'll start the challenge tomorrow! I'll be interested to see how many steps I normally take in a day.

I'm excited!!!

Oh Julie! You didn't read Taz's tiny print down towards the bottom of his signature page? It says, ?"...for those of you who are in the medical field (drs, nurses, techs, post when you reached 20,000 steps". Guess you missed that, huh?

Of Course, I am kidding...! I just couldn't pass this little joke...silly me! hahahaha...((HUGS!))

GREAT Shelby!

I was TOTALLY surprised, again, with close to 2400 steps I did today. I walked down by the bay front at work and then walked around the little block around my home neighborhood area. I think I can actually see how I could possibly reach a 5000 step in one day by putting out more effort. Interesting enough also, I found that it really wasn't all that boring. As I started walking right after work and had things on my mind to process through. So it was cool...got to get my iPod set up soon! YIPPEE!!

Count me in your challenge!! I totally need to get out there and move because I sit behind a desk all day!! I am off to buy a pedometer tomorrow!! I'll keep you posted on my progress!! GREAT IDEA!!!!!! :lol:

GREAT Lori! Isn't your twin sister name Lisamarie? If so, get her to go with youse!

Isn't this a great idea!?!?! I am starting to like it now (thanks Taz!!)...in fact, after today's effort, I am actually looking forward to tomorrow to beat my score today...so this is a good thing for me.