Anyone else affected by economy

stormy

Have you been affected?

So today they told us that the economy is getting so bad that our jobs are going to change. I am not happy about it at all. See I work at the Welfare office. I am not happy to see that more people are getting on benefits, but not just that, I am unhappy that I am again going to have to move offices. I just got things settled with my son, who has autism. I am close to his school and close to where he gets therapy and his daycare. This is going to mess everything up. I am not sure what I am going to do. The whole thing is really sad. I cried all the way home. I will no longer be able to work with the people I have worked with, I will no longer be able to do that job that I have loved for over 10 years. I have been at my job a total of 20 years and this is not the first time this has happened to me. This whole economy is a mess. How depressing.

Stormy,

Sorry to hear about the change with your job. I personally hate change, unless it is weightloss lol. You will do fine. You seem to have the personality that people love.

Things will work out, you have to believe that. I'm sorry you will be further from your son. Good luck with the move in job, you will be in my thoughts!

Sing it sister! I've been under terrible stress because of the economy.

I'm an IT engineer and I've NEVER had any trouble finding a job and I make pretty darn good money. I was working at a job I absolutely loved with some of my dearest friends. I started in Sept of 2007 and this past June, my whole entire team was laid off! I was totally lucky and had a contract job in 2 days. I hated that job and once again was lucky enough to get another consulting job offer that was for more money and as it turns out, I LOVE the place.(It's the corporate office of the second largest retailer in the US)

My best friend that I was working with who also got laid off last June HAS NOT BEEN ABLE TO FIND A JOB. That's 5 months people! He does what I do.

My step-brother was just laid off from his job. He was a reporter for a small newspaper in South Carolina. He's 24 or 25 and had to move back home with my dad and step mom.

I am worried sick that I'm going to get laid off and not be able to find a job. I'm single and I have no other source of income. I'm 50 years old. I'm too old to move back in with my 70something year old dad!

Forget the automobile industry! I want a bailout for ME!

It is very rough at work. I work at a university and we have 4 schools in our system. We got word this week that we are in a system wide hiring freeze. Which really stinks b/c I had the paperwork put together to offer a job to someone the day the freeze notice came out. So we are all in the office going to have to split up the responsibilities of that job. We are already 2 short so that really hurts.

I have several family members and friends that have been laid off recently and the jobs just aren't out there right now.

I hope the impact for you all is minimal. I really see things moving up, but it's gonna take a while unfortunately and sadly it's gonna get worse before it gets better i'm afraid.

I think the state of the economy is affecting everyone..even us Canadians. The automotive industry in Canada is huge and is being seriously impacted by what's going on all over the world.

I am sorry to hear that you have more people on welfare than before...that's tough...but the positive thing is..you have your job and are needed there more than ever to help those in need.

My hubby and I are very lucky, we work in essential service industries and no matter how bad things get, we have our jobs.

Good luck to everyone!!!

I feel your pain. I work in the investment industry and pray every day as I watch these markets. I have never seen anything like this. I just made it through our first round of lay offs but we are having another round in January. My blood pressue is through the roof!

we lost our family business! and all of us are now having to look elsewhere for income. not easy! working for family definitely has its perks. you definitely work your butt off, but you can also take off when you want!

SO sorry about your job Stormy! That is very very difficult to have to go through such a huge change. I've been at my job for 21 years also. It's insurance and you know how everyone feels about the insurance industry. I'm lucky to have a job but our company, Guardian Life is very very stable (Mutual company, not stock) and I'm ok there. BUT....I am barely able to make my bills each month. I happen to live in an area called the Lehigh Valley (eastern Pa) and we supposedly have the worst inflation in the country. And I believe it! I haven't been this poor is YEARS! I've been working OT, which I hate just to make ends meet. Gas here is killing us. My heating bill went from $120 a month to $360 a month. Although our gas went down, we are still at $2.20 a gallon. And electric and cable, forget it! It is scary, thats for sure.

I've actually started selling a lot of antique things I have on e-bay and hoping my e-commerce site starts making some money. I'll need that for Christmas this year.

I was going through some old things of my fathers and came upon these fantastic old sports programs from the 40's that I am already getting some high bids on. (By the way, did you know the Yankees used to be a football team?). Seems like I found them just in time to make some extra Christmas money. just kind of bummed that I HAVE to sell them instead of keeping them.

But, I am looking for a better 2009! I figure I'll be eating a whole lot less and that ought to help, LOL!!

I didn't know you worked in insurance...me too!!! What do you do??

Who isn't affected by today's economy? We all are...just have to adjust and adapt to the best we can right now. I am a firm believer that things happens for a reason and therefore go forward in a positive way. Yes, we each will have some issues to deal with it...but be positive and smile. Utilize your old things, recycle, don't go overboard, be alert at your job, use the things you have at home to make unique gifts, choose wisely when you buy things, get together with family togetherness for a card game or charades, the list goes on and on...

Things will get better soon...and who knows, the change will do some good!

Who isn't affected by today's economy? We all are...just have to adjust and adapt to the best we can right now. I am a firm believer that things happens for a reason and therefore go forward in a positive way. Yes, we each will have some issues to deal with it...but be positive and smile. Utilize your old things, recycle, don't go overboard, be alert at your job, use the things you have at home to make unique gifts, choose wisely when you buy things, get together with family togetherness for a card game or charades, the list goes on and on...

Things will get better soon...and who knows, the change will do some good!

Awesome post. So positive and practical. Loved that!

Jann

we lost our family business! and all of us are now having to look elsewhere for income. not easy! working for family definitely has its perks. you definitely work your butt off, but you can also take off when you want!

Dana, I am so very sorry. That must be heartbreaking. My sister owns her own business. She employees 5 full time people and 1 part time. She's one of those "makes more than $250,000 rich people" who are going to get hit with more taxes thanks to our new administration. What most people don't realize is that $250,000 + that goes on her tax return is from her business that employees 5 1/2 people. She doesn't even take a salary for herself! Everything goes back into the business. She said if her taxes go up it will break her back and she'll have to start laying off.

Another friend in Middle Georgia has a business that employees several hundred people. He had 3 lines of credit at banks and although a good customer who always pays his bills on time, one of the banks pulled his line of credit. They had no credit to give him! Now he is forced to start laying off because he doesn't have the liquidity to make payroll without his lines of credit.

This credit crisis is really snowballing.

My only bright note is that I'm picking up lots of good stocks at rock bottom prices. I'll have to wait 5 or 10 years to get a good return on them, but that's what investing is all about.

SO sorry about your job Stormy! That is very very difficult to have to go through such a huge change. I've been at my job for 21 years also. It's insurance and you know how everyone feels about the insurance industry. I'm lucky to have a job but our company, Guardian Life is very very stable (Mutual company, not stock) and I'm ok there. BUT....I am barely able to make my bills each month. I happen to live in an area called the Lehigh Valley (eastern Pa) and we supposedly have the worst inflation in the country. And I believe it! I haven't been this poor is YEARS! I've been working OT, which I hate just to make ends meet. Gas here is killing us. My heating bill went from $120 a month to $360 a month. Although our gas went down, we are still at $2.20 a gallon. And electric and cable, forget it! It is scary, thats for sure.

I've actually started selling a lot of antique things I have on e-bay and hoping my e-commerce site starts making some money. I'll need that for Christmas this year.

I was going through some old things of my fathers and came upon these fantastic old sports programs from the 40's that I am already getting some high bids on. (By the way, did you know the Yankees used to be a football team?). Seems like I found them just in time to make some extra Christmas money. just kind of bummed that I HAVE to sell them instead of keeping them.

But, I am looking for a better 2009! I figure I'll be eating a whole lot less and that ought to help, LOL!!

I'm in the same boat. I'm selling on ebay too to try and make ends meet. What's your ebay name? Mine is Gentlerain_Boutique

I sell on Ebay too and Craigslist. I actually sold some of my furniture. Rumor has it they laid off 12 people today. It is really sad. Obama I hope your ready for all this....

Dana, I am so very sorry. That must be heartbreaking. My sister owns her own business. She employees 5 full time people and 1 part time. She's one of those "makes more than $250,000 rich people" who are going to get hit with more taxes thanks to our new administration. What most people don't realize is that $250,000 + that goes on her tax return is from her business that employees 5 1/2 people. She doesn't even take a salary for herself! Everything goes back into the business. She said if her taxes go up it will break her back and she'll have to start laying off.

Another friend in Middle Georgia has a business that employees several hundred people. He had 3 lines of credit at banks and although a good customer who always pays his bills on time, one of the banks pulled his line of credit. They had no credit to give him! Now he is forced to start laying off because he doesn't have the liquidity to make payroll without his lines of credit.

This credit crisis is really snowballing.

My only bright note is that I'm picking up lots of good stocks at rock bottom prices. I'll have to wait 5 or 10 years to get a good return on them, but that's what investing is all about.

Yeah, I am definitely am not a supporter of the Obama tax plan! It is going to kill business owners! I will be the first to say, Change was needed. But, I don't think that is a good one. Anyway, We had to get out when we could! It was heartbreaking to lay people off who had been with us for 8 years. They were family to us. I believe like Jude, things happen for a reason and all of us struggling right now have to find other means of making money. Even if they are small, they can add up and make a difference. All I know, I sure am enjoying the low gas prices right now, I know that won't last forever either!

Yeah, I am definitely am not a supporter of the Obama tax plan! It is going to kill business owners! I will be the first to say, Change was needed. But, I don't think that is a good one. Anyway, We had to get out when we could! It was heartbreaking to lay people off who had been with us for 8 years. They were family to us. I believe like Jude, things happen for a reason and all of us struggling right now have to find other means of making money. Even if they are small, they can add up and make a difference. All I know, I sure am enjoying the low gas prices right now, I know that won't last forever either!

I agree with everything you are saying. It is the small business owner who will be hit and that equals businesses going out of business and people losing jobs. Corporations won't suffer, they don't pay taxes anyway. The "corporate taxes" they pay are just passed on to the consumers.

I am enjoying the gas prices too! I filled up for $1.71 the other day. It cost me $16.50 to fill up!! A few weeks ago I was paying over $40 to fill up. HUGE difference!

Jena

The economy is so fickle. If anything it puts things into perspective-- What is important in life, what to hold on to and what to let go. I had to let go of vacation plans and a home purchase. I am holding on to staying home with my kids instead of going out and letting society entertain them. Instead of taking them to a movie, we sit at home and play chinese checkers or UNO. They seem to love that even more than going out. Not only am I saving money but I am saving and cherishing memories. My husband(seperated) and I own our own business and have found that we definately have a crunch. We relied heavily on credit for continued growth. Since we can no longer work on growing our business we have worked on what we already have to make it better. So when the crises is over we will begin to grow again and this time we will have a stronger, better foundation to work from. During this thanksgiving season we need to sit down and be thankful for what we do have. No, not the big juicy turkey with all the fixins, but the people around us that the economy cannot lay off from our lives. Sometimes it takes us being uncomfortable to sit down and realize that life is so much more. Cling to those you love, control what you can and understand that there are things that just are not able to be controlled. time will tell, until then live life and be happy that there are things in your life that are beautiful. Things that money can never buy.

The economy is hitting everyone hard, I am in the Automobile Industries, yes people are still buying BUT it is so much slower, We also have a hiring freeze/ wage freeze, meaning what ever your making now is what your gonna be making for a while, Im stuck at $9 an hour, that sucks! My Fiance owns his own tile company, He was doing GREAT when he first started bringing $2,000-$3,000 home a week, now that its winter and people are starting to save their money he is lucky if he brings $1,000 a week. Now he is having to go back to the place he used to work for just to bring money home, Its hard for everyone But we should be lucky that we are one of the few that actually have jobs.

I feel for you...change is always a pain...but plz be thankful you still have a job! I was laid off in July after 7 years with the same company and still have not found a job yet! It is hard....very very hard! Everyday I am scared that it is another day closer to the end of my unemployment benefits.

The economy is so fickle. If anything it puts things into perspective-- What is important in life, what to hold on to and what to let go. I had to let go of vacation plans and a home purchase. I am holding on to staying home with my kids instead of going out and letting society entertain them. Instead of taking them to a movie, we sit at home and play chinese checkers or UNO. They seem to love that even more than going out. Not only am I saving money but I am saving and cherishing memories. My husband(seperated) and I own our own business and have found that we definately have a crunch. We relied heavily on credit for continued growth. Since we can no longer work on growing our business we have worked on what we already have to make it better. So when the crises is over we will begin to grow again and this time we will have a stronger, better foundation to work from. During this thanksgiving season we need to sit down and be thankful for what we do have. No, not the big juicy turkey with all the fixins, but the people around us that the economy cannot lay off from our lives. Sometimes it takes us being uncomfortable to sit down and realize that life is so much more. Cling to those you love, control what you can and understand that there are things that just are not able to be controlled. time will tell, until then live life and be happy that there are things in your life that are beautiful. Things that money can never buy.

What an awesome attitude and proactive way to manage through these tough times! GOOD FOR YOU! Thanks for the perspective check!

Jann

Dana babe...I, too, am sorry for your loss as well. I agree...this new lax plan is really killing a lot of people and so unfair and this change was not a good one for sure.

I have my thoughts on all of you and are in my prayers for good things to come...

((BEAR HUGS to you all!))

Americans need to get back to the basics. Stop using credit to keep up with the Jones, stop eating all your meals out, remember that it's okay for our children to want for something, it makes them appreciate it more when the finally get it. Stop and smell smell the roses, don't over-schedule your kids, take time to be a family....like the good old days.

Were you happier without all this technology....I was

Remeber when we could go on vacation and be "away"

Remeber when Sunday meant family time....not shopping day

Look at the bright side.....maybe this will get everyone back on the right track.

Americans need to get back to the basics. Stop using credit to keep up with the Jones, stop eating all your meals out, remember that it's okay for our children to want for something, it makes them appreciate it more when the finally get it. Stop and smell smell the roses, don't over-schedule your kids, take time to be a family....like the good old days.

Were you happier without all this technology....I was

Remeber when we could go on vacation and be "away"

Remeber when Sunday meant family time....not shopping day

Look at the bright side.....maybe this will get everyone back on the right track.

You go girl! It entirely makes sense that it's come full circle although frighteningly so. The last eight years have been an absolute gong show and the war effort has completely eroded the economic stability of the participating countries in my humble opinion. The fact that the war was based on a lie is completely unforgiveable but this thread is based in politics so I'm guessing it's a fair statement to make whether you are pro or con!

Change unfortunately usually means people suffer but for every bust there is a boom and vice versa. I know that's small comfort to those who are suffering and I get that but it is what it is and the average person has to be proactive and smart in their approach through the next however long it takes to end the negative cycle.

Jann

My best friend is from Canada and she has the same ideas of Americans as some of you. We are all the same. We are selfish and only care about the material things. She thinks I am the only exception. I am not. I REALLY hate politics so I will not get into them BUT, please be careful of the way you group "Americans" together. THe media has misrepresented most of us and it very bothersome, and a bit insulting. Thanks

My best friend is from Canada and she has the same ideas of Americans as some of you. We are all the same. We are selfish and only care about the material things. She thinks I am the only exception. I am not. I REALLY hate politics so I will not get into them BUT, please be careful of the way you group "Americans" together. THe media has misrepresented most of us and it very bothersome, and a bit insulting. Thanks

What I find insulting is that whenever the rightous don't agree with what you say, your comment gets turned in to something it's not.

My comment was just that, a comment...nothing more, nothing less, not any more political than the ones that came before it on this post.

Peace out,