MAY SURGERIES AND FILLS

As you know I post this topic several months in advance. Patients from all over the world are now coming to San Diego/Tijuana to the OCC. The OCC cordinators have been busy and patients have started to schedule lap band surgery and fills for the month of May. A lot of patients have made new life long friends just by chatting with each other here at the forum. Lets hear from the patients that are coming in the month of May, meet your future bandster buddy here at the forum. When you finally meet at the OCC, it will feel like you've known each other a long time.

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Robbyn!

I booked my surgery today with Dr. Ortiz. May 14th is THE day!! I am excited and anxious all at the same time. B)

So, when did you start your pre-op diet or have you? I was told today that I don't need to start until 3 weeks before surgery. I'm a little unsure about waiting to start it since I know myself all too well. Procrastination is a big issue for me, so I think I am going to start sooner.

Rachael

Hi Robbyn!

I booked my surgery today with Dr. Ortiz. May 14th is THE day!! I am excited and anxious all at the same time. B)

So, when did you start your pre-op diet or have you? I was told today that I don't need to start until 3 weeks before surgery. I'm a little unsure about waiting to start it since I know myself all too well. Procrastination is a big issue for me, so I think I am going to start sooner.

Rachael

Hi Rachael,

My surgery was March 25th and I started my pre op diet 3 weeks prior to that date. I did not have to start mine until 2 weeks prior but I am always early for everything. I had to lose 13 pounds and ended up losing 18 pounds. I am going to be honest with you. It was not the hardest thing that I have ever done but I did question my decision to start early. I am very obsessive compulsive when I make up my mind to do something which comes in handy when it comes to the pre op and the post op diet. I don't know how much weight you have to lose and how easy dieting is for you so it would be hard for me to tell you whether to start early or not. On another note, the surgery was the easiest one I have ever had. The physical recovery was much faster than I thought it would be. Good luck with you surgery.

Kim

Just wanted to add that I will be having my first fill on May 16th. I will be arriving on May 14th and staying at the Lucerna and leaving on the 17th. If anyone wants to meet up I would love it. Just let me know.

Kim

Congrats on your progress, Kim!

I fly in on the 13th, have surgery on the 14th, and leave on the morning of the 16th. I am staying at the new Marriott instead of the Lucerna. We may bump into each other at the OCC, though. Do you know what time you will be there for your fill? From what I understand, all patients are taken to the surgery center in the morning and prepped for surgery. Then we are taken in one by one. I hope we are able to meet!

I am super excited and nervous. I plan on starting my pre-op diet around the 3 week mark as well. I decided on diet #2 since it seems easy to follow and I've followed a diet similar to that before. They want me to lose 13 pounds before surgery, but my goal is 15. Can you recommend some "must haves" for my packing list? I have GasX strips, comfy clothes, and sports bra on the list already. Thanks!

Rachael

:D

I am scheduled for 11:00 on the 16th for my fill. If you want to send me a private message I can exchange some contact information. I was given the option of the Marriot but I followed the advice of someone that stayed at the Lucerna and switched. I am sure the Marriot is a great place as well. We just decided to stay where someone else had stayed. I think they are only about .5 miles away from each other anyway. I would reccomend that you bring liquid tylenol with you. THe surgery process is very easy and the recovery is better than I expected. Wear something comfortable for your trip home especially if you are flying. Oh and if you are flying, ask to be upgraded to first class on your way home. I tried but they were booked. It never hurts to ask and they will give you preference due to surgery. Also, ask for help getting to any connecting flights and ask to be allowed on first if you don't get upgraded. You will be sore and it helps if you don't have to fight your way through the people to get to your seat. Anyway, I hope to see you there.

Kim

Just wanted to add that I will be having my first fill on May 16th. I will be arriving on May 14th and staying at the Lucerna and leaving on the 17th. If anyone wants to meet up I would love it. Just let me know.

Kim

Hi Kim!!! I had surgery the same day as you!!! I am thinking about going back for my fill around that time too! So you obviously booked the package deal?

How are you doing? I have lost 15 pounds!! I feel great. I just hope it keeps going strong!

Take care, Tracy from Canada!

Tracy,

I sent you a private message. Congrats on the 15 pounds! You are doing awesome. I count the pre op in my weight loss so I lost around 27 pounds all together. I lost 18 on th pre op and 9 post surgery. I figured it would start to slow down at some point. I will start exercising soon so that will help. I feel pretty good in general. My port site is a little tender at times. I sort of wish it was located just a little lower and less to the left than it is but maybe when I get smaller it will be more comfortable. Of course it is probably still healing. Anyway I really hope we can hang out together. I really enjoyed our little group of "sister" at the clinic. I have talked to Beth and OMG she is going to kill me but at the moment I can't remember her name...lol. Lack of food! That is all I can blame it on. The really cool lady that was practically running up and down the halls making us look bad. I know I know her name but for the life of me I can't remember it even though I can clearly see her face. So anyway, I am crossing my fingers that it works out that we can meet up.

Looking forward to hearing from you,

Kim

(((((((((((((((Hugs Everyone!))))))))))))))))

I have been quiet on the boards lately. I was originally scheduled for surgery in San Francisco a month ago. I lost 20 lbs pre op. I'm pretty confident I gained it all back and I have been avoiding the scale.

I decided to have my surgery at the occ so now my surgery date is May 22nd. (More than two months after the original date.) I plan to do a 3 week pre op diet so I can get back to my original pre surgery weight.

Beginning week 1 I'll do a version of Atkins, beginning week 2 I'll do 2 protein drinks (ISOPURE) and a frozen dinner and beginning week 3 I'll do 3 protein drinks a day.

At least that's my plan so far.

:)

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Hi ladies-

I'm down for

May 20th, land in SAN on the 19th, checking out on the 23rd.

Band on the 20th.

Now I just have to make one of those BMI siggy

Hi! We live in SoCal so if you have any questions I can probably help! Things to do or places to go while your here.

Hi Rachael,

My surgery was March 25th and I started my pre op diet 3 weeks prior to that date. I did not have to start mine until 2 weeks prior but I am always early for everything. I had to lose 13 pounds and ended up losing 18 pounds. I am going to be honest with you. It was not the hardest thing that I have ever done but I did question my decision to start early. I am very obsessive compulsive when I make up my mind to do something which comes in handy when it comes to the pre op and the post op diet. I don't know how much weight you have to lose and how easy dieting is for you so it would be hard for me to tell you whether to start early or not. On another note, the surgery was the easiest one I have ever had. The physical recovery was much faster than I thought it would be. Good luck with you surgery.

Kim

Hi - Kim

I hear the recovery isn't that bad, Only with me I keep thinking it will be like my c-sections - since that's really the only surgery I've had, And it wasn't that easy...

I should also also add that to prevent me from gaining weight hand over fist while I wait for the pre op diet to start I'm trying I'm subbing breakfast with a protein drink 5 times a week.
Gosh you're good,

I still haven't thought much about anything...

I was told to lose 5% of my weight so that's like 9 - 10 pounds

My choice was option 1 for a week, Or option #2 for 10 days. I was leaning towards diet option #1 - Why prolong the torture to 10 days... #-o

Like you I’m trying not to gain before the pre -op. It's only been 43 days since I quit smoking and I have days where I eat everything in and out of sight! Though it’s getting easier, I still have that hand to the mouth habit...... Not good!

I am planning on getting banded on May 15th. I will be flying in early on the 14th and then flying out the afternoon of the 18th. I am am super excited!!! This is the beginning to a new us!!! Good luck everyone.

right back at ya.....BCB =D>

so I have to ask what did you pack?

I was thinking a few sun dresses/cotton dresses lose fiting and flip flops with a hoodie sweat shirt. I have a 6 hour flight, with time change there and over 5 hours back home.

I know this is TMI, but I hate wearing a bra, an only wear one out of the house. I'm thinking even with a sports bra, would the bottom of the bra be sitting on any of the incision & irritate them......... I wouldn't want to do anything to infect them

Oh & I'm in NY, I am thinking it's got to be in the 70's there- Right?

Hello to everyone!

I'll present myself a bit; I'm Canadien ( french...which explains my poor english! sorry... ;) )

I'm 41 y.o & I'll have my lapband surgery on May 8th. I'm really exciting, of course! & also very nervous, of course, too! ;-)

This forum helps me figure out every steps ahead of me & seing all those success stories shared here just reassure me with my choice to go for the lapband. I know the road is gonna be tought...but I'm ready! VERY looking forward to drop the fatty blanket! I am a mom of a 3 y.o adorable girl who needs her mommy to be in good health.

Hope to meet nice new lapbanders, as well as post-op people!

Ciao!

Annie from Montreal

I forgot to ask about the pre-op diet...Does all the clinics in USA ask their patients to be on a diet prior to their surgery ??

Because my doctor never told me to do any special diet before my big day. I will problably do a diet anyway for the last 14 days, just to clean out my body...

I'm curious to know what about you, guys ?

What's the main reason they give you & what do you do exactly ? just cutting the calories ? or something more specific ?

Ciao!

Annie

Hello to everyone!

I'll present myself a bit; I'm Canadien ( french...which explains my poor english! sorry... ;) )

I'm 41 y.o & I'll have my lapband surgery on May 8th. I'm really exciting, of course! & also very nervous, of course, too! ;-)

This forum helps me figure out every steps ahead of me & seing all those success stories shared here just reassure me with my choice to go for the lapband. I know the road is gonna be tought...but I'm ready! VERY looking forward to drop the fatty blanket! I am a mom of a 3 y.o adorable girl who needs her mommy to be in good health.

Ciao!

Annie from Montreal

YAY! I have a banding buddy! I am having my surgery on May 8th too!

I quit smoking today and this has to be the LONGEST DAY of my life!

I still have to send my info to get hotel booked and all that stuff. I will probably

ask for the marriott as my hotel preference.

Kate from Los Angeles

Hi - Kim

I hear the recovery isn't that bad, Only with me I keep thinking it will be like my c-sections - since that's really the only surgery I've had, And it wasn't that easy...

It won't be anything like childbirth I promise. You won't believe me until you go through it and that's okay...lol. Good luck.

Kim

I had my surgery April 7th...MUCH MUCH MUCH EASIER THAN A C-SECTION!!! Hardest thing for me was the 1st week of liquids!

Anyway...I am getting my first fill on Wednesday, May 13th! Can't wait!

Hello to everyone!

Ciao!

Annie from Montreal

Hi - Anne - make sure you give A REPORT on how things go