SEPTEMBER SURGERIES AND FILLS

So weird! My laptop has decided that I can't post on this forum anymore. I tried different browsers, restarting, nothing worked. I've been wanting to post and ask for some advice since my surgery on 9/25/09. So now I am on the regular desktop dinosaur and I am able to post. Wacko.

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I give up.

Hang in there! ^_^ A couple of weeks ago they were having server issues and I couldn't access anything, even though I saw that other people were posting.

Hi, Bams - my surgery is on the 29th - so I might see you at the OCC when I'm back for my next day check (or you may be getting pre-ops the day I get my band). Best of luck to you! :)

Great!! best of luck to you-- please stay in touch post ops-- we can support each other through bandster hell!!!

Hello again,

I am trying to post again. Chad, I thought the problem was that I was copying and pasting some text (when I didn't get thru the first time I copied what I wrote and tried pasting it into another post, which also didn't work) but it happens even without copying and pasting.

Will try to post NOW. :)

MArgaret

Trying again.

Hey everyone!

I'm home. The surgery was a breeze. My "happy" (insert correct word yourself; I can't use it here because the forum filters it as spam!) boyfriend and I left my house at 6:15 and were at the Mexicoach parking lot at 6:45. OCC van was about 15 minutes late. When I arrived at the clinic there were other patients arriving from their respective hotels. I was first: talked with Dr. Miranda, got my IV started, got my EKG, changed into my lovely gown and panties and I was wheeled into the OR. Dr. Ortiz wasn't there yet. I spoke to Dr. Martinez. He is an awesome guy.

Dr. Martinez told me that he and Dr. Ortiz have done over 7,000 lap band placements without one fatality. Of course I have no way to objectively verify this but I believe him. Apparently they used to practice at a hospital in TJ but quickly decided to opened their own practice.

I laid down on the OR table and Dr. Martinez asked what kind of music I would like to listen to. I thought that was funny since I would be drugged up and told him so. I think he decided on Journey, which totally works for me. Seconds later I glanced over to my hand where my IV was and saw the anesthesiologist administering something and........I was out.

I woke up in my room and Dr. Ortiz was sitting on the chair chatting with Dave (GBF) and I. I don't remember a damn thing! Dave told me later that I lifted up my hospital gown and showed him my betadine stained belly - boobs and all.

I kept falling in and out of sleep all afternoon but there was no pain. Hardly any swelling or gas, either.

Dave and I discussed just going home at 4 when the shuttle came to take everyone to their hotels but I realized I would get a much better night's sleep if we went to the hotel since I have squirrely (normal) kids at home.

The shuttle came to the Marriott at 8, as scheduled. We picked up some people at the Lucerna and off we went. I was home, with coffee in hand, by 9.

One thing that really surprises me from the 21 day post-op diet is that non-dairy creamer is allowed with coffee. Not a very clear liquid! But I'm not complaining!

I feel tired, that's all.

Here we go!

Margaret

I am getting the surgery done on 9/25/09. Today a friend and I drove across the border to visit with Dr. Ortiz. He was friendly and informative. Slightly cocky, but I like that trait in a surgeon, especially one working on me!

I wish I could get this done sooner. Oh well!

Now I need to study the pre and post-op diets so I am stocked and ready to go. I need to lose 11 pounds in the next month.

congratz to you! i still need to take that step. waiting on my passport (grr) anywhoooo question, why do u need to lose weight pre-op?

Trying again.

Hey everyone!

I'm home. The surgery was a breeze. My "happy" (insert correct word yourself; I can't use it here because the forum filters it as spam!) boyfriend and I left my house at 6:15 and were at the Mexicoach parking lot at 6:45. OCC van was about 15 minutes late. When I arrived at the clinic there were other patients arriving from their respective hotels. I was first: talked with Dr. Miranda, got my IV started, got my EKG, changed into my lovely gown and panties and I was wheeled into the OR. Dr. Ortiz wasn't there yet. I spoke to Dr. Martinez. He is an awesome guy.

Dr. Martinez told me that he and Dr. Ortiz have done over 7,000 lap band placements without one fatality. Of course I have no way to objectively verify this but I believe him. Apparently they used to practice at a hospital in TJ but quickly decided to opened their own practice.

I laid down on the OR table and Dr. Martinez asked what kind of music I would like to listen to. I thought that was funny since I would be drugged up and told him so. I think he decided on Journey, which totally works for me. Seconds later I glanced over to my hand where my IV was and saw the anesthesiologist administering something and........I was out.

I woke up in my room and Dr. Ortiz was sitting on the chair chatting with Dave (GBF) and I. I don't remember a damn thing! Dave told me later that I lifted up my hospital gown and showed him my betadine stained belly - boobs and all.

I kept falling in and out of sleep all afternoon but there was no pain. Hardly any swelling or gas, either.

Dave and I discussed just going home at 4 when the shuttle came to take everyone to their hotels but I realized I would get a much better night's sleep if we went to the hotel since I have squirrely (normal) kids at home.

The shuttle came to the Marriott at 8, as scheduled. We picked up some people at the Lucerna and off we went. I was home, with coffee in hand, by 9.

One thing that really surprises me from the 21 day post-op diet is that non-dairy creamer is allowed with coffee. Not a very clear liquid! But I'm not complaining!

I feel tired, that's all.

Here we go!

Margaret

I LOOOVE READING THESE. I CAN'T WAIT TO WRITE MY OWN.

Well tomorrow is the big day. I left Victoria this morning at 3:30 a.m and arrived in San Diego at 1130. Rode in the van with Canadian Bandster from Alberta which was cool and another gal coming for her first fill.

I went to the OCC and had my blood work done and that was it for today.

I get picked up at 0700 tomorrow to do the rest of my tests and meet with Dr Miranda and Ortiz. Do not know what time surgery is yet.

The OCC was very clean actually cleaner than any American or Canadian hospital I have seen. I am an RN. I love how they make you put booties over your shoes when you enter the clinical area. Very good idea.

I am not resting at the hotel catching up on emails.

Deena I know you are arriving today. If you read this forum this afternoon I am in room 509. Maybe we can have dinner together

I will write tomorrow and let you know how the day goes.

Debbie

Well tomorrow is the big day. I left Victoria this morning at 3:30 a.m and arrived in San Diego at 1130. Rode in the van with Canadian Bandster from Alberta which was cool and another gal coming for her first fill.

I went to the OCC and had my blood work done and that was it for today.

I get picked up at 0700 tomorrow to do the rest of my tests and meet with Dr Miranda and Ortiz. Do not know what time surgery is yet.

The OCC was very clean actually cleaner than any American or Canadian hospital I have seen. I am an RN. I love how they make you put booties over your shoes when you enter the clinical area. Very good idea.

I am not resting at the hotel catching up on emails.

Deena I know you are arriving today. If you read this forum this afternoon I am in room 509. Maybe we can have dinner together

I will write tomorrow and let you know how the day goes.

Debbie

Hi, Debbie - I am here too (finally!) My flight was delayed about an hour and a half, then traffic was really heavy at the border. I'm finally here, though at 5:00 pm local time. I'm in room 716 - I just tried to call you. If you've already gone to dinner, no worries, I'll just see you tomorrow. But, if not, give me a call! :) -- Deena