SEPTEMBER SURGERIES AND FILLS

Here in the Midwest, September is one of those transition months. Summer is turning into Fall and then Fall into Winter. Having Lap Band surgery in September is a life changing transition for you. If your scheduled for surgery or a fill, this topic is where you can meet new people just like you. So, Let's hear from all of you that are coming to the OCC in September.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here in the Midwest, September is one of those transition months. Summer is turning into Fall and then Fall into Winter. Having Lap Band surgery in September is a life changing transition for you. If you scheduled for surgery or a fill, this topic is where you can meet new people just like you. So, Let's hear from all of you that are coming to the OCC in September.

I am soo excited.. I just booked my flight yesterday. I am having surgery on September 10 !! Anyone else??? :D

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Here in the Midwest, September is one of those transition months. Summer is turning into Fall and then Fall into Winter. Having Lap Band surgery in September is a life changing transition for you. If you scheduled for surgery or a fill, this topic is where you can meet new people just like you. So, Let's hear from all of you that are coming to the OCC in September.

HELLO!!!! I am coming back to OCC in Sept for my first fill. I am nervous and excited. I want this band to work, and I am eager to get underway!

See you all then!

I am getting the surgery done on 9/25/09. Today a friend and I drove across the border to visit with Dr. Ortiz. He was friendly and informative. Slightly cocky, but I like that trait in a surgeon, especially one working on me!

I wish I could get this done sooner. Oh well!

Now I need to study the pre and post-op diets so I am stocked and ready to go. I need to lose 11 pounds in the next month.

I am getting the surgery done on 9/25/09. Today a friend and I drove across the border to visit with Dr. Ortiz. He was friendly and informative. Slightly cocky, but I like that trait in a surgeon, especially one working on me!

I wish I could get this done sooner. Oh well!

Now I need to study the pre and post-op diets so I am stocked and ready to go. I need to lose 11 pounds in the next month.

Hi Magkai1,

Could you tell me more about the center, the doctor, the drive there, anything? Everyone seems to be excited about the surgery, but besides constantly dreaming how I am going to look after dropping 100lb, I am plainly scared. I do not really know what to expect since it is a little weird to schedule surgery without meeting the doctor, his team... So please help me put my mind at ease.

Looking forward to your answer,

Nina2008single

Hi Magkai1,

Could you tell me more about the center, the doctor, the drive there, anything? Everyone seems to be excited about the surgery, but besides constantly dreaming how I am going to look after dropping 100lb, I am plainly scared. I do not really know what to expect since it is a little weird to schedule surgery without meeting the doctor, his team... So please help me put my mind at ease.

Looking forward to your answer,

Nina2008single

Nina, I promise to fill you in soon. My family and I are headed out on vacation and will return Thursday.

Hello Everyone.. I just scheduled my surgery for September 9th and cant wait... Even though as the date gets closer, i find myself getting more nervous. :mellow:

Hey there I was planning on going for the 9th, but had to switch ... I will see you there !!!

Jen

Hello Nina (and the rest of the September people),

I was walking with my friend a couple of weeks ago. She is a pediatric nurse practitioner and a smart cookie. I am an RN, so between us we have a working knowledge of the medical world. When I confided in her that I am planning to get this surgery she suggested we go visit the clinic together. Luckily my friend is super spontaneous and so we made plans to go in two days time.

I let Carolyn know that I wanted to visit and she arranged a meeting with Dr. Ortiz. We drove since we live in San Diego and it is super easy to get to. It is located in the Zona Rio, which is undoubtedly the safest are of Tijuana. We arrived one hour early and were able to see Dr. Ortiz right away.

Let me back up- the clinic is on the second floor of a building. The elevator opens up to the waiting room, which is modern and sparkling clean. The staff all wear black scrubs and are, for the most part, completely fluent in English. First we met with Dr. Miranda, the dietary doctor, and she weighed me and measured my height. She is delightful.

Then Dr. Ortiz came in and he is as charming as others have described. Frankly, he is cocky but I rather appreciate that in a surgeon. I prefer a person who is confident enough to be cutting into people's bodies. It's not for everyone!

He was very casual with us and said the stuff he probably says to everyone, "This is your last diet," "With the band you should enjoy your last bite of food as much as the first" blah blah blah. I asked why people fail with the band and he said it's when you don't follow the post op diet, while the stomach is healing. He said there is no way for him or his staff to determine who will or will not be successful so they have abandoned doing a psychological evaluation first.

We talked for 10-15 minutes. He never seemed in a hurry and was open to questions. My friend works for Children's Hospital here in San Diego and when Dr. Ortiz heard that he fired up his website to show us that he donates 3% of his profits to the autism center there. His now 4 year old daughter was diagnosed with mild autism when she was 18 months old. She attended the center at Children's and is now completely on track, according to her father. She began reading at 3 years old, in both English and Spanish.

He lives on this side of the border, which most successful business owners in Tijuana do. When asked why he practices medicine in Mexico rather than the USA he went into a tirade about the US medical system which, frankly, I agree with.

He turned us over to one his staff members who gave us a thorough tour of the facility, minus the OR. They have 4-5 private rooms (which Dr. Ortiz decorated himself! What a metrosexual!) and a 3 bed overflow area/ICU (if things go wrong, which they claim has never happened). Now, one thing that is slightly worrisome is that, because he practices in Mexico, there is no way to know whether he has truly had any failures or emergencies, other than his word.

The only place in the clinic we did not see was the OR, for obvious reasons.

I was confident enough in his skills and his clinic that I paid my deposit on the way out the door.

Hope this helps in some small way.

Welcome Magkei1,

I really enjoyed reading your experience was with your interview, tour, and thoughts. Please post this on the sight "General Lap Band Support & Discussions".

It is so reaffirming to hear from those who are in the medical field and are familiar with the practices.

Anne

Welcome Magkei1,

I really enjoyed reading your experience was with your interview, tour, and thoughts. Please post this on the sight "General Lap Band Support & Discussions".

It is so reaffirming to hear from those who are in the medical field and are familiar with the practices.

Anne

Thanks, Anne! I will post it where you suggested. :)

Thank you so much for this post it really helped to put my mind at ease. I also am a Registered Nurse but from Vancouver Island so will not be able to meet Dr Ortiz or see the clinic prior to coming. Being a nurse I find this very difficult but listening to all the other nurses and people who have gone to the OCC and had surgery really puts my mind at ease.

I am hoping to have my surgery the end of September .

RevyD :D

Thank you Magkai1, it really helped ease my mind especially after reading that you are an RN and the accompanying friend is also one(well, NP). I have a few friends that are RNs, MAs, or PAs and I know how they react when something is slightly off, so once again thank you.

I will be having my surgery on Sept 7. Anyone else scheduled for that day? I could use a buddy with no family on this continent (oh look at me puling at heartstrings shamelessly). ^_^

Most people react as I did when I first heard of people going to the OCC for surgery. "OMG! Are you effing crazy?" and then I hear all the reasons not to.

Truly, for me, it's a balancing act between several factors:

I need to lose this weight

I have absolutely no co-morbidities and so would never get this covered by insurance

No matter what side of the border (or what continent, for that matter) Dr. Ortiz is very, very good at what he does

At some point I take a leap of faith that everything will be fine and I will return to my babies, spouse, and home

Margaret

Hello to all I have surgery scheduled for September 7, and am staying at the Marriott. I'm sooooooo excited.

Mizty

Mizty,

I am also staying at the Marriot and I am planning to get there on Sunday noon. I am so glad that there is another person scheduled to have surgery in the same day as I am!

See you there,

Nina